New Servant Leaders Announced (2018-2019)
We are excited to announce the new slate of servant leaders for the coming academic year, which includes many returners alongside several new people and categories (an overall increase from seventeen servant leaders to twenty-two!). Thank you to all who are willing to serve in this way. Please contact an individual leader if you are interested in serving on her or his respective team. If you need contact information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org:
Servant leaders related to our Sunday gatherings:
-Acappella Music: Scott Reynolds
-Adult Education: Dave Lemley & Robby Schaffer
-Hospitality: Greg Warwar
-Technology: Randy Coppinger
-Worship Coordinator: Shannon Warwar
-Worship Design: Sara Barton & Eric Wilson
Servant leaders related to our family life:
-Benevolence: Katy & Peter Thompson
-Finance: Paul Jones
-Life Together: Steve Rouse & Kanet Thomas
-Men’s & Women’s: Lee Morgan & Jenny Parmelee
-Missions: Susan Giboney (interim)
-Prayer: Kari Coppinger
-Seniors: David Baird
-Young Adults: Phill DuVentre
-Young Families: Brad & Liz Mancuso
New Plans for Fall Semester
We announced two new initiatives for the fall semester yesterday morning in an ongoing attempt to draw more college students and resident families into community with our church family:
- We intend to increase the use of our office space when students return in late August. Specifically, the office will be open in the evenings starting at the end of August to provide a space for students on “night campus.” Plans are still under development, but we anticipate the office being open and staffed from 8am to 10pm Monday through Friday.
- We will launch a second worship service opportunity on Sundays starting on August 26 from 5-6pm in Stauffer Chapel. The service will offer the same sermon from Sunday morning along with communion but will feature a different musical worship style (i.e., instrumental music). More details to come later.
Special Youth Group House Group at the Beach
This Wednesday night, July 4th, the youth group will be heading to the beach for our first baptism night! If you are interested in being baptized, contact Dusty, Joel, or Robby. We’ll spend the evening at Ralph’s beach (at the end of Malibu Road, behind Ralph’s) for baptisms and fireworks. Dusty, Joel, and Robby will be driving, so meet at the Breedings’ house at 6:30pm for transport. No food will be provided this night, so eat before you come.
Middle School Retreat
Our first ever middle school retreat is happening this Saturday, July 7. You can register at https://goo.gl/forms/6pcckFZcNyy6CzjG2. Contact Dusty, Joel, or Robby for details or questions.
Summer in Stauffer Continues
Summer in Stauffer continues this Sunday. Bible classes at 9am and worship at 10:15am. This week’s sermon is about Abimelech from Judges 9 and is titled, “When Disobedience Reigns.”
Cloud of Witnesses Teachers
Here are the teachers for the remaining Cloud of Witnesses adult Bible class sessions this summer (9am on Sundays in Stauffer Chapel):
July 8: Greg Warwar
July 15: Stacy & Steve Rouse
July 22: Donna Nofziger
July 29: Jeff Walling (location: Elkins)
August 5: Dusty Breeding
August 12: Rick Gibson (location TBD)
August 19: Jason Jarvis (location TBD)
Youth Group Teen Camp
Camp for the summer is approaching fast! Sign up for Teen Camp (July 15-21) at this link! http://socalteencamp.org
-Lou Archer, as she recovers at home.
-Sion Sameto, David & Pat Dowdey’s friend.
-Bernice Evans James, Bernie James’s mother.
-Sammy Maiorca, Steve’s father, who is living with ALS.
-Rob Terrell, for healing from cancer.
-Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
-July 4: Youth Group Baptism Night
-July 7-8: Middle School Retreat
-July 8: Seniors Ministry Lunch & Discussion
-July 13: Young Adult Party
-July 15-21: Teen Camp
-July 22: Message by John Wilson
-July 29: Worship in Elkins (for CrossWays)
-August 5: Last Summer in Stauffer
-August 5-9: Youth Group Mt. Whitney Trip
-August 12: Servant Leaders Meeting
-August 26: Fall Kickoff Sunday
Attendance (July 1): 146
Contribution (July 1): $9,585.42
Weekly Need: $8,231.76
Weekly Average (YTD): $6,771.06
Summer Classes (Sundays at 9am)
Here are this summer’s topics, teaching lineups, and locations:
– Adults: “Cloud of Witnesses” (multiple teachers): – Stauffer Chapel
– Teens: “Survey of the Old Testament” (Dusty Breeding & Joel Foster) – Cafeteria
– Children: “Old Testament Kings” – Plaza classrooms
* Cradle Roll: Brad & Linn Griffin
* Preschool: Kari Coppinger & Jenny Parmelee
* K-3rd grades: Diana Maiorca & Lydia Folkerts
* 4th-5th grades: Corinne Le
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: email@example.com
– Instagram: @UCCMalibu
– Facebook Page: University Church of Christ (Malibu)
– Phone Number: 310.506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us