Missions Contribution Update
Thanks to the congregation for your contributions to the missions fund. The total is now $29,323.67, which is only $2000. less than last year. We would gratefully accept further one-time or pledge contributions.
Women’s Fellowship Event
The ladies of the church are invited to attend a tea party to be hosted at the Warwars’ house on Saturday, April 7th, at 11am (ages 6 and up are welcome).
Kids Club Year-End Extravaganza!
On Sunday, April 15, all children and their parents are invited to a year-end Kids Club celebration following our morning worship assembly including lunch, cake, activities, and a special video!
All-Church Camping Trip
Save the date for our second annual all-church camping trip: May 25-27th at the Ventura Ranch KOA in Santa Paula, CA.
Opening for Teaching Children’s Classes!
We still need 2-3 teachers for summer classes, so please contact Al or Corinne if you are interested. The topic will be Old Testament Kings.
Prayer Ministry Monthly Challenge
Our April prayer challenge is to choose a Bible verse to pray every morning as we’re getting out of bed. One that I (Kari) have used in the past is, “Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love for I have put my trust you in. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life.” (Psalm 143:8) I wrote it on a notecard read it every a.m. until I had it memorized. You could make it the screensaver on your phone, let your kids write it on a mirror with a glass marker, set an alarm on your phone and title it Ps 143:8. Share your idea or a verse that you’ll be using.
Foster Youth Fundraiser – HOPE4Kids Festival & Run
The HOPE4Kids Festival & Run will be April 28 in Thousand Oaks. Funds raised benefit foster youth and families. Register to run/walk or volunteer at http://www.raisinghope.org/hope4kids and join the University Church of Christ team or just come to the free festival. If you can’t come, you may register as a virtual runner (run/walk on your own time) and you’ll get a swag bag, T-shirt, and medal. Or consider supporting the event by helping us fill our silent auction baskets. See ideas or purchase items at http://a.co/5nkrBW7. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
-Steve Davis & family, who are grieving the loss of his brother, Stan Davis.
-Jose Roman, Nancy Shatzer’s son-in-law (awaiting test results)
-Bernice Evans James, Bernie James’s mother (in serious condition)
-Beverly Dungan, Brad Griffin’s aunt
-Family of Cres San Jose, who are grieving his loss.
-Falon & Nate Barton, preparing to move to Uganda.
-Sammy Maiorca, Steve’s father, who is living with ALS.
– Rob Terrell, for healing from cancer.
-The Mancuso family, who are expecting their second child!
-Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
The Week Ahead:
-April 5: Kids Club (4pm)
-April 5: The Well (8pm)
-April 7: Women’s Tea at the Warwars
-April 8: Servant Leaders Meeting
-April 8: Seniors Ministry Lunch & Discussion
-April 8: Final Senior Sunday Dinner
-April 15: Kids Club Year-End Extravaganza!
-April 21: Young Adult International Food Night
-April 22: All-Church Pancake Breakfast
-April 22: Missions Committee Meeting
-April 28: HOPE4Kids Festival & Run
-April 29: Summer Bible classes begin
-May 1-4: Harbor: The Pepperdine Bible Lectures
-May 20: Summer in Stauffer begins
-May 25-27: All-Church Camping Trip
-June 3: Youth Group Summer Parent Meeting
Attendance (April 1): 296
Contribution (April 1): $6,682.44
Weekly Need: $8,231.76
Weekly Average (YTD): $6,773.98
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: email@example.com
– Instagram: @UCCMalibu
– Facebook Page: University Church of Christ (Malibu)
– Phone Number: 310.506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us
Servant Leaders (2017-2018)
Please contact an individual leader if you are interested in serving on her or his respective team. If you need contact information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. Adult Education: Dave Lemley & Robby Schaffer
2. Benevolence/Service: Katy & Peter Thompson
3. Finance: Chris Bauman
4. Hospitality: Brad & Liz Mancuso
5. Life Together: Brad & Linn Griffin; Stacy & Steve Rouse
6. Men’s Ministry: Lee Morgan
7. Missions: David & Pat Dowdey
8. Prayer: Kari Coppinger
9. Tech Ministry: Randy Coppinger
10. Women’s Ministry: Jenny Parmelee
11. Worship Coordination: Shannon Warwar
12. Worship Design: Eric Wilson
Spring 2018 Sunday Morning Bible Class Lineup (Sundays @ 9am)
– Cradle Roll: Linda Truschke & Angie Lemley (PC 191)
– Toddlers/Preschool: Jody Sturgeon & Morgan Clinton (PC 190)
– K-3rd grade: Rick Cupp & Al Sturgeon (PC 189)
– 4th-5th grades: Dusty Breeding & Jesse Morgan (PC 188)
– 6th-12th grades: Joel Foster & Emily Sabino (24358 Baxter Drive)
– Adults (college & up):
* Koinonia Class (AC 290) with Ann & Greg Skipper
* The Remarkable Testimony of a Mysterious Witness: The Gospel of John (AC 270) with John Wilson & Randy Chesnutt
* Preparing for Marriage with Susan Giboney (UCC Church Office)
Humans of UCC // Meet Linn Griffin!
1. What is one of your favorite Easter memories?
I grew up in Virginia, and the winter months were usually long and dreary. I looked forward to seeing the daffodils and hyacinths in bloom that my dad had planted in our yard, once it warmed up a bit. We’d have our Easter picture taken in the midst of new Spring flowers every year.
2. What do you love most about our church?
The people! I also feel so fortunate to hear from gifted speakers and teachers in our University community.
3. What do you enjoy most about working in the church office?
It has been a treat to spend more time around students. Since our year abroad in Florence (2013-14), I’d missed having the chance to see students on a regular basis. I’m grateful for the opportunity to work with a great group of people on staff, and will miss Dee when she and Rodney move to Tennessee.
4. Tell us something not many people know about you!
I love reading and cooking from vintage cookbooks that I’ve collected from thrift stores. One of my favorites is River Road Recipes (1959) from Baton Rouge, LA. It has a chapter entitled, “How Men Cook” and a wonderful recipe for jambalaya.