Kids Club Guest Opportunities!
The UCC Kids Club for K-5th graders meets from 4-5pm in Baxter Park each Thursday afternoon with Al Sturgeon and Annie Little. We play, sing, and study the Bible from 4-4:30 and then have a special guest join us for the last 30 minutes. Last week Greg Warwar came and showed the kids how to break rocks in two, and they loved it (see picture above!). We have several guests in the works for this semester but would LOVE for other church members to come this semester and share something fun with the kids for 30 minutes. Contact either Al or Annie if you are interested in serving our children in this way.
New Spring Classes
• KOINONIA CLASS (AC 290) with Ann & Greg Skipper. Hebrews 10:24 encourages us to “spur one another on to love and good deeds.” The goal of this class is to know and love each other better through sharing faith stories, Bible study, fellowship, and prayer.
• THE REMARKABLE TESTIMONY OF A MYSTERIOUS WITNESS: THE GOSPEL OF JOHN (AC 286) with John Wilson & Randy Chesnutt. The Gospel of John is both the simplest and the most profound witness to the life, death, and real identity of Jesus of Nazareth. In this class we will try to hear and understand this witness as it is presented to us in this remarkable ancient document.
• PREPARING FOR MARRIAGE (UCC Church Office) with Susan Giboney. This class is designed for seriously dating, engaged, or newly married couples. If your partner is not in the area you are still encouraged to attend. Many vital topics will be discussed in a fun and easy manner. The class will be taught by Susan Giboney (a nationally certified family life educator) and several guest couples. You are encouraged to invite anyone in this season of life to join the class.
Spring 2018 Sunday Morning Bible Class Lineup (Sundays @ 9am)
– Cradle Roll: Linda Truschke & Angie Lemley (PC 191)
– Toddlers/Preschool: Jody Sturgeon & Morgan Clinton (PC 190)
– K-3rd grade: Rick Cupp & Al Sturgeon (PC 189)
– 4th-5th grades: Dusty Breeding & Jesse Morgan (PC 188)
– 6th-12th grades: Joel Foster & Emily Sabino (24358 Baxter Drive)
– Adults (college & up):
* Koinonia Class (AC 290) with Ann & Greg Skipper
* The Remarkable Testimony of a Mysterious Witness: The Gospel of John (AC 270) with John Wilson & Randy Chesnutt
* Preparing for Marriage with Susan Giboney (UCC Church Office: NOTE: Begins on January 21)
Missions Committee Meeting
A meeting of the Missions Committee is scheduled for Sunday, January 21, in the church office after morning worship. We need to work on plans for this year’s mission’s collection.
Young Adults to Sherman Oaks Castle Park
The young adults will go to Sherman Oaks Castle Park at 6:30pm on Friday, January 26, for some miniature golf, batting range, and arcade fun! Contact Al Sturgeon with questions or to RSVP.
Join us for a men’s breakfast at the Morgan’s home in Thousand Oaks on Saturday January 27th at 9:00 AM. The address is 1708 Shady Brook Drive, Thousand Oaks, CA, 91362. Please RSVP to Lee Morgan: 818-599-5724 or email@example.com.
UCC Trip to Nairobi, Kenya
Please contact Dusty if you are interested in joining the group traveling to Kenya in June. There will be a 30-minute planning meeting in the church office following morning worship on January 28.
Single and widowed women of all ages are invited to a “Gal”entines potluck lunch for good food and company on Feb. 11 after service (location TBD). RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prayers for Montecito
Elizabeth Hanks works in Montecito, and unfortunately, both Elizabeth and Telly were stuck in Santa Barbara due to the highway closure. Lincoln actually traveled up last weekend via ferry to be with them. They are okay, but the neighborhood and area where Elizabeth works in Montecito is devastated. Prayers for Montecito are greatly needed.
– Those in Montecito, following the mudslides.
– Paula Bryant, Haley Love’s mother, who is having shoulder surgery this Friday and still recovering from knee replacement surgery.
— The Shatzer family in their time of loss.
— The Helen Young family in their time of loss.
– All affected by the fires in California.
– Sammy Maiorca, Steve’s father, who is living with ALS.
– The Mancuso family, who are expecting their second child!
– Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
The Week Ahead:
– January 18: Kids Club
– January 18: The Well
– January 21: UCC 101 Luncheon & Class
– January 21: Missions Committee Meeting
–January 26: Young Adults to Sherman Oaks Castle Park
–January 27: Men’s Breakfast at the Morgan’s
–January 28: MITS Planning Meeting
–February 4: Church Super Bowl Party
–February 11: Servant Leaders Meeting
–February 11: Valentines Gathering
–March 16-18: Youth Group Winter Retreat
Attendance (January 14): 187
Contribution (January 14): $5,360.91
Weekly Need: $8,231.76
Weekly Average (YTD): $5,600.19
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: email@example.com
– Instagram: @UCCMalibu
– Facebook Page: University Church of Christ (Malibu)
– Phone Number: 310.506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us
Servant Leaders (2017-2018)
Please contact an individual leader if you are interested in serving on her or his respective team:
1. Adult Education: Dave Lemley & Robby Schaffer
2. Benevolence/Service: Katy & Peter Thompson
3. Finance: Chris Bauman
4. Hospitality: Brad & Liz Mancuso
5. Life Together: Brad & Linn Griffin; Stacy & Steve Rouse
6. Men’s Ministry: Lee Morgan
7. Missions: David & Pat Dowdey
8. Prayer: Kari Coppinger
9. Tech Ministry: Randy Coppinger
10. Women’s Ministry: Jenny Parmelee
11. Worship Coordination: Shannon Warwar
12. Worship Design: Eric Wilson