No Sacred Yoga – New Spring Adult Classes
Cecily will not be able to teach Sacred Yoga as a Sunday morning Bible class this semester. There are three options for adult Bible classes listed below:
• KOINONIA CLASS (AC 290) with Ann & Greg Skipper. Hebrews 10:24 encourages us to “spur one another on to love and good deeds.” The goal of this class is to know and love each other better through sharing faith stories, Bible study, fellowship, and prayer.
• THE REMARKABLE TESTIMONY OF A MYSTERIOUS WITNESS: THE GOSPEL OF JOHN (AC 286) with John Wilson & Randy Chesnutt. The Gospel of John is both the simplest and the most profound witness to the life, death, and real identity of Jesus of Nazareth. In this class we will try to hear and understand this witness as it is presented to us in this remarkable ancient document.
• PREPARING FOR MARRIAGE (UCC Church Office) with Susan Giboney. Note: Beginning January 21. This class is designed for seriously dating, engaged, or newly married couples. If your partner is not in the area you are still encouraged to attend. Many vital topics will be discussed in a fun and easy manner. The class will be taught by Susan Giboney (a nationally certified family life educator) and several guest couples. You are encouraged to invite anyone in this season of life to join the class.
Spring 2018 Sunday Morning Bible Class Lineup (Sundays @ 9am)
– Cradle Roll: Linda Truschke & Angie Lemley (PC 191)
– Toddlers/Preschool: Jody Sturgeon & Morgan Clinton (PC 190)
– K-3rd grade: Rick Cupp & Al Sturgeon (PC 189)
– 4th-5th grades: Dusty Breeding & Jesse Morgan (PC 188)
– 6th-12th grades: Joel Foster & Emily Sabino (24358 Baxter Drive)
– Adults (college & up):
* Koinonia Class (AC 290) with Ann & Greg Skipper
* The Remarkable Testimony of a Mysterious Witness: The Gospel of John (AC 270) with John Wilson & Randy Chesnutt
* Preparing for Marriage with Susan Giboney (UCC Church Office: NOTE: Begins on January 21)
Missions Committee Meeting
A meeting of the Missions Committee is scheduled for Sunday, January 21, in the church office after morning worship. We need to work on plans for this year’s mission’s collection.
Single and widowed women of all ages are invited to a “Gal”entines potluck lunch for good food and company on Feb. 11 after service (location TBD). RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in Joining a House Group?
We have room for 20-25 more students (or resident members) to join our house groups this semester! Groups meet on Sunday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings. Contact email@example.com if you are interested and please indicate which night works best for you.
Update from Ethiopia
Recent news from Mindi and Dereje in Ethiopia was received. They mention that “[l]ooking back on 2017, His Word truly has lit our path in many a dark night.” They mention that the street ministry is on hold but that the ministry to imprisoned children has been reinstated. They also shared that the Lion of Judah soccer ministry, which they highlight as the most successful ministry that they have seen in East Africa, will be reactivated as well. If you would like more specific information on the Ethiopian ministry, please contact David and Pat Dowdey or Susan Giboney. The Alemes solicit our ongoing prayers.
— The Shatzer family in their time of loss.
— The Helen Young family in their time of loss.
– Sammy Maiorca, Steve’s father, who is living with ALS.
– The Mancuso family, who are expecting their second child!
– Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
The Week Ahead:
– January 11: Kids Club resumes
– January 11: The Well resumes
– January 14: Seniors Ministry Lunch & Discussion
– January 14-17: House Groups resume
– January 21: UCC 101 Luncheon & Class
– January 21: Missions Committee Meeting
–January 26: Young Adults to Sherman Oaks Castle Park
–February 4: Church Super Bowl Party
–February 11: Servant Leaders Meeting
–February 11: Valentines Gathering
–March 16-18: Youth Group Winter Retreat
Attendance (January 7): 168
Contribution (January 7): $5,399.46
Weekly Need: $8,231.76
Weekly Average (YTD): $5,399.46
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Instagram: @UCCMalibu
– Facebook Page: University Church of Christ (Malibu)
– Phone Number: 310.506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us
Servant Leaders (2017-2018)
Please contact an individual leader if you are interested in serving on her or his respective team:
1. Adult Education: Dave Lemley & Robby Schaffer
2. Benevolence/Service: Katy & Peter Thompson
3. Finance: Chris Bauman
4. Hospitality: Brad & Liz Mancuso
5. Life Together: Brad & Linn Griffin; Stacy & Steve Rouse
6. Men’s Ministry: Lee Morgan
7. Missions: David & Pat Dowdey
8. Prayer: Kari Coppinger
9. Tech Ministry: Randy Coppinger
10. Women’s Ministry: Jenny Parmelee
11. Worship Coordination: Shannon Warwar
12. Worship Design: Eric Wilson