Memorial Service for Milt Shatzer
The memorial service for Milt Shatzer is at 2pm tomorrow (Wednesday, January 3) in Elkins Auditorium. A reception is scheduled in the Elkins Courtyard from 3-4pm. In lieu of flowers, the family requests gifts to the Dr. Milt Shatzer Memorial Scholarship at http://impact.pepperdine.edu/miltshatzer.
Memorial Service for Helen Young
The memorial service for Helen Young is at 11am this Friday (January 5) in Firestone Fieldhouse. In lieu of flowers, the family requests gifts to the Associated Women for Pepperdine at http://c-fund.us/e7u.
No Sacred Yoga
Cecily will not be able to teach Sacred Yoga as a Sunday morning Bible class this semester. There are three options for adult Bible classes listed below in the Spring 2018 lineup.
Combined Children’s Class This Sunday Only
Corinne will launch the new semester of children’s classes with a combined class this Sunday, January 7, at 9am. Individual classes with brand new teachers will begin the following Sunday. New teachers and locations are listed below in the Spring 2018 lineup.
Spring 2018 Sunday Morning Bible Class Lineup (Sundays @ 9am)
– Cradle Roll: Linda Truschke & Angie Lemley (PC 191)
– Toddlers/Preschool: Jody Sturgeon & Morgan Clinton (PC 190)
– K-3rd grade: Rick Cupp & Al Sturgeon (PC 189)
– 4th-5th grades: Dusty Breeding & Jesse Morgan (PC 188)
– 6th-12th grades: Joel Foster & Emily Sabino (24358 Baxter Drive)
– Adults (college & up):
* Road Trip! Stories from the Journey (AC 290) with Ann & Greg Skipper
* The Remarkable Testimony of a Mysterious Witness: The Gospel of John (AC 270) with John Wilson & Randy Chesnutt
* Preparing for Marriage with Susan Giboney (UCC Church Office: NOTE: Begins on January 21)
Year End Update from Joseph Dzamesi and Sonrise Christian School in Ghana
Your support in 2017 has helped us continue to gain recognition as the best private high school in the Volta Region. We are also happy to report that despite very unfavorable government policy implementations and the fact that for the first time, public senior high schools in Ghana are completely free, we continue to attract our fair share of students. Among the highlights of the year are:
- Graduation of 115 students, 71.1% of whom did extremely well at the West African Senior School Certificate Examination and therefore qualified for admission into tertiary institutions. This is compared to a 24.9% national qualification rate. Also, our best student in 2017 gained admission into the University of Health and Allied Sciences to pursue a programme in Medicine.
- We have enrolled about 160 students in the first year, way more than we enrolled last year and two years ago.
- We organized two very successful termly retreats and one region-wide retreat that attracted about 300 participants. The retreats continue to be a great tool for us to reach Sonrise students with the word of God and also reach out to young people in the Churches of Christ across the Volta Region.
- We have baptized Eighteen (18) new students into Christ this year and continue to reach many more with the word of God. Our Chaplain, Daniel Torsu, continues to impact the lives of students spiritually through the plethora of spiritual programs available.
- We have completed work on the physical structures of the Ray and Cam Boatright Health Center, an important project needed to provide immediate healthcare for students when they are sick. What is left to complete this project is to furnish it and to provide equipment. Once furnishing is done, we will be ready to commission the center and then put it to use.
– The Shatzer family in their time of loss.
– The Helen Young family in their time of loss.
– All affected by the fires in California.
– Sammy Maiorca, Steve’s father, who is living with ALS.
– The Mancuso family, who are expecting their second child!
– Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
Interested in Joining a House Group?
We have room for 20-25 more students (or resident members) to join our house groups next semester! Groups meet on Sunday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested and please indicate which night works best for you.
The Week Ahead:
– January 3: Memorial service for Milt Shatzer (2pm)
– January 5: Memorial service for Helen Young (11am)
– January 7: Bible classes resume (9am)
– January 7: Worship service in Elkins Auditorium (10:15am)
– January 11: Kids Club resumes
– January 11: The Well resumes
– January 14: Seniors Ministry Lunch & Discussion
– January 14-17: House Groups resume
– January 21: UCC 101 Luncheon & Class
– February 4: Church Super Bowl Party
– February 11: Servant Leaders Meeting
Attendance (December 31): 142
Contribution (December 31): $16,334.71
Weekly Need: $8,231.76
Weekly Average (YTD): $7,669.25
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: email@example.com
– Instagram: @UCCMalibu
– Facebook Page: University Church of Christ (Malibu)
– Phone Number: 310.506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us
Servant Leaders (2017-2018)
Please contact an individual leader if you are interested in serving on her or his respective team:
1. Adult Education: Dave Lemley & Robby Schaffer
2. Benevolence/Service: Katy & Peter Thompson
3. Finance: Chris Bauman
4. Hospitality: Brad & Liz Mancuso
5. Life Together: Brad & Linn Griffin; Stacy & Steve Rouse
6. Men’s Ministry: Lee Morgan
7. Missions: David & Pat Dowdey
8. Prayer: Kari Coppinger
9. Tech Ministry: Randy Coppinger
10. Women’s Ministry: Jenny Parmelee
11. Worship Coordination: Shannon Warwar
12. Worship Design: Eric Wilson