A picture in Stauffer Chapel from early Christmas Eve morning
New Year’s Eve Service in Elkins Auditorium
There are no Bible classes scheduled for this Sunday morning, but our regularly-scheduled morning worship assembly will occur at 10:15am in Elkins Auditorium. What a fitting way to end a calendar year—to be together as a church family in communal worship. My final sermon for 2017 is titled, “The Word Became Flesh.”
Memorial Service for Milt Shatzer
A memorial service for Milt Shatzer has been scheduled from 2pm until 3pm on Wednesday, January 3, in Elkins Auditorium. A reception is scheduled in front of Elkins Auditorium from 3-4pm. In lieu of flowers, the family requests gifts to the Dr. Milt Shatzer Memorial Scholarship at http://impact.pepperdine.edu/miltshatzer.
Memorial Service for Helen Young
A memorial service for Helen Young has been scheduled at 11am on Friday, January 5, in Firestone Fieldhouse. In lieu of flowers, the family requests gifts to the Associated Women for Pepperdine at http://c-fund.us/e7u.
Providing Meals for the Shatzer, Young, and Chesnutt Families:
Thank you to everyone who responded to the call to provide meals to three families navigating difficult times right now. Most of the slots have been filled, but there are still three slots remaining: two for the Jackson (Young) family, and one for the Chesnutt family. Please sign up and help where you can. Contact Linn Griffin if you have any questions.
- For the Jackson (Young) family: https://www.mealtrain.com/trains/e7l0re
- For the Chesnutt family: https://www.mealtrain.com/ol7oz4
From St. Petersburg, Russia
Our missionary in Russia, Igor Egirev, sent the following YouTube video (approximately 45 minutes) of a Christmas concert at the Neva Church of Christ held three nights ago. Enjoy the beautiful singing at https://youtu.be/DRU7rz5hOSc. If you are like me, you will be a little lost in the language along the way but will at least be able to join in on the last song despite the language barrier!
Spring Sunday Morning Bible Classes Launch on January 7 (Sundays @ 9am)
There will be no Bible classes meeting on December 31.
– Cradle Roll: Linda Truschke & Angie Lemley (PC 191)
– Toddlers/Preschool: Jody Sturgeon & Morgan Clinton (PC 190)
– K-3rd grade: Rick Cupp & Al Sturgeon (PC 189)
– 4th-5th grades: Dusty Breeding (PC 188)
– 6th-12th grades: Dusty Breeding & team (24358 Baxter Drive)
– Adults (college & up):
* Road Trip! Stories from the Journey (AC 290) with Ann & Greg Skipper
* Sacred Yoga (Fireside Room) with Cecily Breeding
*The Remarkable Testimony of a Mysterious Witness: The Gospel of John (AC 270) with John Wilson & Randy Chesnutt
*Preparing for Marriage with Susan Giboney (UCC Church Office: NOTE: Begins on January 21)
– The Shatzer family in their time of loss.
– The Helen Young family in their time of loss.
– All affected by the fires in California.
– Sammy Maiorca, Steve’s father, who is living with ALS.
– The Mancuso family, who are expecting their second child!
– Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
Interested in Joining a House Group?
We have room for 20-25 more students (or resident members) to join our house groups next semester! Groups meet on Sunday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested and please indicate which night works best for you.
The Week Ahead:
– December 31: No Bible classes meet
– December 31: Worship service in Elkins Auditorium at 10:15 AM
– January 3: Memorial service for Milt Shatzer (2pm)
– January 5: Memorial service for Helen Young (11am)
– January 7: Bible classes resume
– January 11: Kids Club resumes
– January 11: The Well resumes
– January 14: Seniors Ministry Lunch & Discussion
– January 14-17: House Groups resume
– January 21: UCC 101 Luncheon & Class
Attendance (December 24): 149
Contribution (December 24): $11,663.00
Weekly Need: $8,231.76
Weekly Average (YTD): $7,502.61
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: email@example.com
– Instagram: @UCCMalibu
– Facebook Page: University Church of Christ (Malibu)
– Phone Number: 310.506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us
Servant Leaders (2017-2018)
Please contact an individual leader if you are interested in serving on her or his respective team:
1. Adult Education: Dave Lemley & Robby Schaffer
2. Benevolence/Service: Katy & Peter Thompson
3. Finance: Chris Bauman
4. Hospitality: Brad & Liz Mancuso
5. Life Together: Brad & Linn Griffin; Stacy & Steve Rouse
6. Men’s Ministry: Lee Morgan
7. Missions: David & Pat Dowdey
8. Prayer: Kari Coppinger
9. Tech Ministry: Randy Coppinger
10. Women’s Ministry: Jenny Parmelee
11. Worship Coordination: Shannon Warwar
12. Worship Design: Eric Wilson