Helen Young with AWP scholarship award winners in 2012
Thoughts & Prayers in the Passing of Helen Young
Dave Lemley called this morning to share the news that Helen Young passed away in Lubbock last evening at the age of 99. Our thoughts and prayers are with Helen’s family as they mourn her passing and celebrate her remarkable life. More information on how we can serve this special family will follow soon. For now, please keep them in your prayers.
Christmas Desserts Open House – December 3
The Le family has opened their home and are inviting you to their annual Christmas Desserts Open House on Sunday, December 3, from 6 to 9pm. Consider coming out – they would love to celebrate with you!
Won by One Christmas Concert – December 10
Won by One, the student worship team that often leads songs on Sunday mornings, will be having a Christmas concert in Stauffer Chapel at 8 pm on Sunday, December 10.
Young Adult Christmas Party – December 12
The Sturgeons are hosting a Young Adult Christmas Party at their home at 7pm on Tuesday, December 12. Grab a sandwich beforehand because there is no dinner served. However, there will be delicious homemade cookies, milk, hot chocolate, and cider along with Christmas music, decorations, a VERY competitive game of Christmas trivia (with a much-coveted trophy for the winner), and the best Christmas episode ever from Parks & Rec! No need to dress up but feel free to wear something festive for the occasion!
Labor Exchange Holiday Party – December 16
The annual Labor Exchange Holiday Party will be held at Our Lady of Malibu on Saturday, December 16. If you are interested in helping out in any way, contact Jody Sturgeon at email@example.com.
Special Christmas Eve Service – December 24
The Sunday morning worship service on December 24 will be a special Christmas Eve Service held at 10:15am in Stauffer Chapel.
Holiday Bible Class Adjustments
There will be no Bible classes meeting on December 24 or December 31.
Last Kids Club Today
Today, November 30, is the last Kids Club of the year. Kids Club will resume on January 11 of the new year! Come out for our last Kids Club at 4pm in Baxter Park!
Message from Joseph Dzamesi & Sonrise Christian School staff and students:
This is to wish all a wonderful Thanksgiving. We are very thankful for all of you. Thank you for changing our story and investing in our future. In Ghana today we have many challenges in our educational system. Many public school lack the requisite facilities needed to educate their students. The schools are so overcrowded that it makes teaching and learning almost impossible. Thanks to your support, our story is different at Sonrise Christian High School. You are touching individual lives and giving us opportunities that we would not have otherwise had. On this day we just want to say thank you for investing in us and in our future. Thank you for your sacrifice and for your commitment to Christian education. May the almighty God bless you abundantly.
New Ways to Give
We have added two easy and efficient ways to give to the church – Venmo and Zelle. For Venmo, load the Venmo app and use @universitychurch as the church’s account name. For Zelle, you can use your personal banking app or load Zelle app and use firstname.lastname@example.org as the preferred email. For more information, go to https://venmo.com/about/product/ or https://www.zellepay.com/how-it-works.
Follow UCC on Instagram
Follow @UCCMalibu for the latest announcements/updates/pictures from the church and campus ministry. If you have something special you’d like to share, let us know!
– Sammy Maiorca, Steve’s father, who is living with ALS.
– Marilyn Chesnutt, as she faces health challenges
– The Mancuso family, who are expecting their second child!
– Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
The Week Ahead:
– November 30: THE LAST Kids Club (4pm in Baxter Park)
– November 30: The Well (8pm in the Amphitheatre)
– December 3: Le Family Dessert Open House
– December 10: Seniors Ministry Lunch & Discussion
– December 10: Servant Leaders Meeting
– December 10: Won by One Christmas Concert
– December 12: Young Adult Christmas Party
– December 16: Labor Exchange Holiday Party
– December 17: Christmas Pageant & Potluck
– December 24: No Bible classes meet
– December 24: Special Christmas Eve Service (10:15am in Stauffer)
– December 31: No Bible classes meet
Attendance (November 26): 159
Contribution (November 26): $6,927.13
Weekly Need: $8,231.76
Weekly Average (YTD): $7,134.69
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: email@example.com
– Instagram: @UCCMalibu
– Facebook Page: University Church of Christ (Malibu)
– Phone Number: 310.506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us
Sunday Morning Bible Classes for All Ages (Sundays @ 9am)
– Cradle Roll: Brad & Linn Griffin (PC 191)
– Toddlers: Corinne Le & Carlie Ott (PC 190)
– Preschool: Kari Coppinger & Rachel Jolly (PC 189)
– K-3rd grade: Annette Trisler & Gabrielle Antonio (PC 188)
– 4th-5th grades: Emily & Jason Jarvis (Church Office)
– 6th-12th grades: Dusty Breeding & team (24358 Baxter Drive)
– Adults (college & up): See below
Fall Semester Adult Bible Classes (Sundays @ 9am)
*Sacred Yoga (Fireside Room) with Cecily Breeding
* Road Trip! Stories from the Journey (AC 290) with Dave Lemley; Regan & Robby Schaffer
* The Remarkable Testimony of a Mysterious Witness: The Gospel of John (AC 270) with John Wilson & Randy Chesnutt
Servant Leaders (2017-2018)
Please contact an individual leader if you are interested in serving on her or his respective team!
1. Adult Education: Dave Lemley & Robby Schaffer
2. Benevolence/Service: Katy & Peter Thompson
3. Finance: Chris Bauman
4. Hospitality: Brad & Liz Mancuso
5. Life Together: Brad & Linn Griffin; Stacy & Steve Rouse
6. Men’s Ministry: Lee Morgan
7. Missions: David & Pat Dowdey
8. Prayer: Kari Coppinger
9. Tech Ministry: Randy Coppinger
10. Women’s Ministry: Jenny Parmelee
11. Worship Coordination: Shannon Warwar
12. Worship Design: Eric Wilson