Beach Service – October 1
Our worship service this Sunday, October 1, will be at Tower 1 on Zuma Beach at 10:15am. Children and teen classes will meet beforehand as normal as will the adult class on The Gospel of John. The Sacred Yoga class will move to the beach that morning, and the Road Trip class will not meet. There will also be an alternative worship service at 10:15am in Plaza Classroom 190 that day for those who are unable to attend at Zuma Beach.
For those of you who plan to attend:
– bring blankets/chairs to sit on
– come prepared for warm weather (bring sunscreen, umbrellas, water, etc.)
– feel free to bring a picnic lunch and stay after if you want
Women’s Fellowship Ministry – September 30
Please join us on September 30th at 6pm for a women’s event and potluck at Jenny Parmelee’s home in Thousand Oaks. Kelly Gash (former Pepperdine student and UCC member) will be speaking on how to overcome clutter and Get Organized. Please contact Jenny at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. RSVP is not required but would be helpful.
Men’s Bowling Night – October 3
Lee Morgan is planning a men’s bowling night at Bowlero in Woodland Hills on Tuesday, October 3, at 7pm. RSVP to Lee at LMorgan@rstechnology.net.
Nature Hike with Dr. Steve Davis – October 7
Everyone is welcome to attend the nature hike with Dr. Steve Davis on Saturday, October 7, from 9 am – Noon. We will be hiking to Castro Crest (at the end of Corral Canyon Road). Come prepared by bringing cameras, hiking shoes, sunscreen, and a hat.
Young Adult Mystery Dinner Party – October 29
Save the date!!! The Sturgeons will host a young adult mystery dinner party on Sunday evening, October 29. More details to come!
We have an Instagram!
Follow @UCCMalibu for the latest announcements/updates/pictures from the church and campus ministry. If you have something special you’d like to share, let us know!
Updated Facebook Name
To make our Facebook page easier to find, we have changed the name to “University Church of Christ (Malibu)” – join the group for updates/news from our church members.
Message from Mindi and Dereje Aleme in Addis Adaba, Ethiopia
The Ethiopian State of Emergency was lifted in August. We are taking advantage of this opportunity to restart the wildly successful soccer ministry, but in a much larger way. From the previous seasons of the program we have learned how to deliver character development lessons that truly transform lives within our Ethiopian urban context. Dereje continued to network across the city over the past year, and now God has blessed this ministry with more open doors. So the Lion of Judah program will be helping kids transition off the streets, but also it will now change lives in prison and help kids transition out.
Dee & Rodney Honeycutt plan to relocate to Tennessee at the end of the academic year. We already have a strong candidate from our church family to succeed Dee in her part-time bookkeeping role in the church office. We do want to make everyone aware, however, in case there are others who had been interested in this position and were unaware of its impending opening. If so, please contact email@example.com.
– Those recovering from natural disasters.
– Sandy Dawson, for continued healing.
– Sammy Maiorca, Steve’s father, who is living with ALS.
– Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
The Week Ahead:
– September 28: Kids Club (4pm-5:30pm in Baxter Park)
– September 28: The Well (Amphitheater)
– September 30: Women’s Fellowship Ministry Potluck with Guest Speaker (6pm)
– October 1: Beach Service (10:15am at Tower 1 on Zuma Beach)
– October 3: Men’s Fellowship Event
– October 4: Youth Group House Group (6:30pm at Dusty & Cecily’s condo)
– October 7: Nature Walk with Dr. Stephen Davis
– October 8: Servant Leaders Meeting (11:45am)
– October 15: UCC 101 Lunch & Class (RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org)
– October 19: Serving at S.O.S.
– October 22: All-Church Harvest Party at the Warwars
– October 29: Young Adult Mystery Dinner Party at the Sturgeons
– November 3-5: Women’s Retreat (tentative)
– November 12: Benevolence Sunday
Attendance (September 24): 222
Contribution (September 24): $2,947.98
Weekly Need: $8,231.76
Weekly Average (YTD): $6,967.93
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: email@example.com
– Instagram: @UCCMalibu
– Facebook Page: University Church of Christ (Malibu)
– Phone Number: 310.506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us
Sunday Morning Bible Classes for All Ages (9am)
– Cradle Roll: Brad & Linn Griffin (PC 191)
– Toddlers: Corinne Le & Carlie Ott (PC 190)
– Preschool: Kari Coppinger & Rachel Jolly (PC 189)
– K-3rd grade: Annette Trisler & Gabrielle Antonio (PC 188)
– 4th-5th grades: Emily & Jason Jarvis (Church Office)
– 6th-12th grades: Dusty Breeding & team (24358 Baxter Drive)
– Adults (college & up):
*Sacred Yoga (Fireside Room except October 1 & 15) with Cecily Breeding.
* Road Trip! Stories from the Journey (AC 290) with Dave Lemley; Regan & Robby Schaffer
* The Remarkable Testimony of a Mysterious Witness: The Gospel of John (AC 270) with John Wilson & Randy Chesnutt
Servant Leaders (2017-2018)
Please contact an individual leader if you are interested in serving on her or his respective team!
1. Adult Education: Dave Lemley & Robby Schaffer
2. Benevolence/Service: Katy & Peter Thompson
3. Finance: Chris Bauman
4. Hospitality: Brad & Liz Mancuso
5. Life Together: Brad & Linn Griffin; Stacy & Steve Rouse
6. Men’s Ministry: Lee Morgan
7. Missions: David & Pat Dowdey
8. Prayer: Kari Coppinger
9. Tech Ministry: Randy Coppinger
10. Women’s Ministry: Jenny Parmelee
11. Worship Coordination: Shannon Warwar
12. Worship Design: Eric Wilson