Fall Semester Adult Bible Classes (Sundays, 9am)
*Sacred Yoga with Cecily Breeding: now meeting in the Fireside Room! Will meet there every Sunday with the exception of Sunday, October 15. Please be patient as we determine the relocation!
* Road Trip! Stories from the Journey (AC 290) with Dave Lemley; Regan & Robby Schaffer
* The Remarkable Testimony of a Mysterious Witness: The Gospel of John (AC 270) with John Wilson & Randy Chesnutt
New School Year Potluck – September 24
Following service on September 24th, we will have a church-wide fellowship event at the Sandbar (across the plaza from Elkins auditorium). Sandwiches will be provided, so please bring a side dish and a dessert. Also, consider bringing a donation to help offset the cost of the main dish. We look forward to seeing you there!
Beach Service – October 1
Our worship service on Sunday, October 1 (one week from this Sunday), will be at Tower 1 on Zuma Beach at 10:15am. Children and teen classes will meet beforehand as normal as will the adult class on The Gospel of John. The Sacred Yoga class will move to the beach that morning, and the Road Trip class will not meet. There will also be an alternative worship service at 10:15am in Elkins Auditorium that day for those who are unable to attend at Zuma Beach. Important: If you plan to attend the alternative service instead of the beach and are willing to participate in a role in the service if needed, please email email@example.com.
Women’s Fellowship Ministry – September 30
Please join us on September 30th at 6pm for a women’s event and potluck at Jenny Parmelee’s home in Thousand Oaks. Kelly Gash (former Pepperdine student and UCC member) will be speaking on how to overcome clutter and Get Organized. Please contact Jenny at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. RSVP is not required but would be helpful.
Men’s Bowling Night – October 3
Lee Morgan is planning a men’s bowling night on Tuesday, October 3, at 7pm. RSVP to Lee at LMorgan@rstechnology.net.
Hurricane Relief Donations
Our Campus Ministry team is planning a week of collecting donations for Impact Church of Christ in Houston September 24-30 (next week). The list of needed items can be found on the UCC Facebook page, and there will be information flyers distributed this Sunday. Items can be dropped off at the UCC office throughout the week. We are also doing a house group competition and house group hosts and leaders will provide further information.
“School on Wheels” Update
Your generous “School on Wheels” contributions have been delivered to the Ventura office. Everyone there is very grateful for our generosity as a church in both monetary and school supply donations. THANK YOU so much for making the school year a happier, better-supplied year for many homeless students in our area, Ventura, and even downtown L.A.
News from the Egirev Family in Russia
Igor Egirev, who is currently located in St. Petersburg, has joyfully reported that they recently added 5 new members through baptism! They also just sponsored the CRC seminar for church leaders and had 40 in attendance. For such a small church in such a large country… this is AMAZING news. Unfortunately, during the seminar, Igor’s wife, Natasha, became ill and had to have surgery. She is recovering now and all is well. In fact, she even took her phone and laptop to the hospital with her so she could help on the seminar. They are such a devoted family and we are grateful for the amazing things they are doing in Russia!
Dee & Rodney Honeycutt plan to relocate to Tennessee at the end of the academic year. We already have a strong candidate from our church family to succeed Dee in her part-time bookkeeping role in the church office. We do want to make everyone aware, however, in case there are others who had been interested in this position and were unaware of its impending opening. If so, please contact email@example.com.
– Those recovering from natural disasters.
– Sandy Dawson, for healing following a recent surgery.
– Sammy Maiorca, Steve’s father, who is living with ALS.
– Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
The Week Ahead:
– September 21: Kids Club (4pm-5:30pm in Baxter Park)
– September 21: The Well (Amphitheater)
– September 23: Youth Group “Lockout” (10am-10pm)
– September 24: Bible Classes for All Ages (9am)
– September 24: Worship in Elkins Auditorium (10:15am)
– September 24: New School Year Potluck (11:45am at the Sandbar)
– September 26: CM Movie Night for Muggles (8pm in PLC 106)
– September 27: Youth Group House Group (6:30pm at Dusty & Cecily’s condo)
– September 30: Women’s Fellowship Ministry Potluck with Guest Speaker (6pm)
– October 1: Sunday Worship at Zuma Beach (10:15am)
– October 3: Men’s Bowling Night (7pm)
– October 8: Servant Leaders Meeting (11:45am)
– October 15: UCC 101 Lunch & Class (RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org)
– October 19: Serving at S.O.S.
– October 22: All-Church Harvest Party at the Warwars
– November 3-5: Women’s Retreat (tentative)
– November 12: Benevolence Sunday
Attendance (September 17): 267
Contribution (September 17): $3,707.30
Weekly Need: $8,231.76
Weekly Average (YTD): $7,073.72
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: email@example.com
– Facebook Page: facebook.com/groups/University.MalibuChurchofChrist
– Phone Number: 310.506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us
Sunday Morning Bible Classes for All Ages (9am)
– Cradle Roll: Brad & Linn Griffin (PC 191)
– Toddlers: Corinne Le & Carlie Ott (PC 190)
– Preschool: Kari Coppinger & Rachel Jolly (PC 189)
– K-3rd grade: Annette Trisler & Gabrielle Antonio (PC 188)
– 4th-5th grades: Emily & Jason Jarvis (Church Office)
– 6th-12th grades: Dusty Breeding & team (24358 Baxter Drive)
– Adults (college & up): See above
Servant Leaders (2017-2018)
Please contact an individual leader if you are interested in serving on her or his respective team!
1. Adult Education: Dave Lemley & Robby Schaffer
2. Benevolence/Service: Katy & Peter Thompson
3. Finance: Chris Bauman
4. Hospitality: Brad & Liz Mancuso
5. Life Together: Brad & Linn Griffin; Stacy & Steve Rouse
6. Men’s Ministry: Lee Morgan
7. Missions: David & Pat Dowdey
8. Prayer: Kari Coppinger
9. Tech Ministry: Randy Coppinger
10. Women’s Ministry: Jenny Parmelee
11. Worship Coordination: Shannon Warwar
12. Worship Design: Eric Wilson