Dusty, Linda, and Teller Working (Out) With the New CM Intern Team!
Out of the Office
I (Al) will be out of the office from Tuesday through Friday this week. I have the honor of attending a retreat with (and speaking to) a large number of Pepperdine sophomores this week. I’m not sure how well I will be able to keep up with emails but will return messages ASAP!
Three big things to remember on Sunday:
#1: Come to Bible class at 9am! The children will all be in Plaza Classroom 191 for the Rising Up Ceremony. The teens, college students, and adults will all be in the Fireside Room for a class that will preview our fall semester classes. Don’t miss Bible class this week!
#2: Come to our worship assembly at 10:15am! It should be a full house in Elkins Auditorium with lots of new students to meet. Meet every one you can! Children’s Worship will meet in Plaza Room 190 for the entire service! We do not have an alternative service planned, but if completely run out of space, some of our regular members can gather in the Plaza Classrooms to spend time in prayer for all of the new students God has sent our way.
#3: Bring a dessert to share with our new students in the Plaza after the worship service (at approximately 11:30am)! We will have a great opportunity to really visit then.
For anyone interested in learning more about and/or becoming a member of the University Church of Christ, there are two opportunities coming up: First, we will host a “UCC 101” class for all adults on Sunday, September 3, at 9am in Appleby Center 290. Second, we will host a “UCC 101 Lunch & Class” on Sunday, September 10, following morning worship in the Sturgeon condo. Everyone is invited on September 3, but please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org for the class on September 10.
Church Small Group Sign-ups
We need more resident members! Everyone is invited to join one of fifteen small groups that will meet nine to ten times each semester on the following days of the week and at the following locations. Please let Al know which group you are interested in joining.
- Angie & Dave Lemley: Sunday evenings (Malibu – Baxter)
- Bernie & Connie James: Sunday evenings (Malibu – just off campus)
- Jay & Stephanie Brewster: Sunday evenings (Malibu – Mariposa)
- Regan & Robby Schaffer: Sunday evenings (Malibu – Baxter)
- Al & Jody Sturgeon: Tuesday evenings (Malibu – Mariposa)
- Claudia Sangster: Tuesday evenings (Malibu – Baxter)
- Susan Giboney: Tuesday evenings (Malibu – Baxter)
- Chris & Leslie Bauman: Tuesday or Wednesday evenings (Malibu – Via de Casa)
- Greg & Shannon Warwar: Tuesday or Wednesday evenings (Moorpark)
- Cathryn & Jeff Walling: Wednesday evenings (Malibu – Via de Casa)
- Cecily & Dusty Breeding: Wednesday evenings (Malibu – Baxter – Youth Group)
- John & Claudette Wilson: Wednesday evenings (Malibu – Tiner Court)
- Linda Truschke: Wednesday evenings (Malibu – Baxter)
- Patty Atkisson or Jere Yates: Wednesday evenings (Valley)
- Ann & Greg Skipper: Thursday evenings (Topanga)
School on Wheels
There will be a basket in the foyer of the auditorium on August 27 for collecting school supplies and checks for School on Wheels, which we support through our Benevolence Committee.
– Sandy Dawson, for healing following a recent surgery.
– Sammy Maiorca, Steve’s father, who is living with ALS.
– June Ferguson, Tiffany’s mother, for health concerns.
– Ilse Hathaway, Shannon Warwar’s mother.
– Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
The Week Ahead:
– August 23: Youth Group House Group (at Dusty & Cecily’s condo)
– August 27: Class at 9am in Fireside Room (combined adult, college, and teens)
– August 27: Rising Up Ceremony (Jesus Company) at 9am
– August 27: Fall Kickoff Sunday & Dessert Reception!
– August 31: The Well (8pm in the Amphitheater)
– September 3: Special “UCC 101” Adult Bible Class (AC 290)
– September 10: New Adult Bible Classes Launch!
– September 10: UCC 101 Lunch & Class (Sturgeon condo)
– September 10: Seniors Ministry Lunch & Program (faculty dining room)
– September 14: Kids Club Kickoff (4pm at Baxter Park for elementary students)
– September 17: Sunday Worship at Zuma Beach
– September 24: All-Church Kickoff Fellowship Event
– September 30: Women’s Fellowship Ministry Potluck with Guest Speaker on Getting Organized
– October 22: All-Church Harvest Party at the Warwars
Attendance (August 20): 228
Contribution (August 20): $13,783.00
Weekly Need: $8,231.76
Weekly Average (YTD): $6,852.81
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: email@example.com
– Facebook Page: facebook.com/groups/University.MalibuChurchofChrist
– Phone Number: 310.506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us
Servant Leaders (2017-2018)
Please contact an individual leader if you are interested in serving on her or his respective team!
- Adult Education: Dave Lemley & Robby Schaffer
- Benevolence/Service: Katy & Peter Thompson
- Finance: Chris Bauman
- Hospitality: Brad & Liz Mancuso
- Life Together: Brad & Linn Griffin; Stacy & Steve Rouse
- Men’s Ministry: Lee Morgan
- Missions: David & Pat Dowdey
- Prayer: Kari Coppinger
- Tech Ministry: Randy Coppinger
- Women’s Ministry: Jenny Parmelee
- Worship Coordination: Shannon Warwar
- Worship Design: Eric Wilson
Children’s Class Teachers (2017-2018)
Here is the lineup beginning on September 3!
– Cradle Roll: Brad & Linn Griffin (fall); Corinne Le & a college student (spring)
– Toddlers: Corinne Le & Carlie Ott (fall); Linda Truschke & Jody Sturgeon (spring)
– Preschool: Kari Coppinger & Rachel Jolly (fall); Angie Lemley & a college student (spring)
– K-3rd grade: Annette Trisler & Annie Sides (fall); Rick Cupp & Al Sturgeon (spring)
– 4th-5th grades: Emily & Jason Jarvis (fall); Dusty Breeding & teen helpers (spring)