Beginning August 27, “Freedom Road: The Exodus Story”
Big Day Planned for Sunday!
So much good stuff planned for this Sunday. Please note the following:
– 9am: Bible classes for all ages. Mike Folkerts will teach the final session of the summer adult class in Appleby Center 290 on the theme, “Benedictions in the New Testament.”
– 10:15am: A special worship service in Elkins to conclude the summer sermon series on Hebrews.
– 11:30am: Drop by the church office for an open house following the redesign this summer!
– 2pm: Planning meeting in the church office for everyone interested in a new “seniors ministry.”
– 5:30pm: Youth group back to school BBQ and family devo from 5-7pm at Dusty & Cecily’s house.
Church Small Group Sign-ups
Everyone is invited to join one of fifteen small groups that will meet nine to ten times each semester on the following days of the week and at the following locations. Please let Al know which group you are interested in joining ASAP.
- Angie & Dave Lemley: Sunday evenings (Malibu – Baxter)
- Bernie & Connie James: Sunday evenings (Malibu – just off campus)
- Jay & Stephanie Brewster: Sunday evenings (Malibu – Mariposa)
- Regan & Robby Schaffer: Sunday evenings (Malibu – Baxter)
- Al & Jody Sturgeon: Tuesday evenings (Malibu – Mariposa)
- Claudia Sangster: Tuesday evenings (Malibu – Baxter)
- Susan Giboney: Tuesday evenings (Malibu – Baxter)
- Chris & Leslie Bauman: Tuesday or Wednesday evenings (Malibu – Via de Casa)
- Greg & Shannon Warwar: Tuesday or Wednesday evenings (Moorpark)
- Cathryn & Jeff Walling: Wednesday evenings (Malibu – Via de Casa)
- Cecily & Dusty Breeding: Wednesday evenings (Malibu – Baxter – Youth Group)
- John & Claudette Wilson: Wednesday evenings (Malibu – Tiner Court)
- Linda Truschke: Wednesday evenings (Malibu – Baxter)
- Patty Atkisson or Jere Yates: Wednesday evenings (Valley)
- Ann & Greg Skipper: Thursday evenings (Topanga)
School on Wheels
There will be a basket in the foyer of the auditorium on August 20 and August 27 for collecting school supplies and checks for School on Wheels, which we support through our Benevolence Committee.
SOS leaders have reached out to say that their funds are extremely low at this point in the year. A big portion of their money goes to pay for a security guard to be at Malibu Methodist every Thursday night. They also use funds to meet immediate needs and purchase supplies. Click HERE if you want to personally donate. SOS will also accept donations in the form of blankets, gently used clothing, shoes and outerwear, tents, tarps and sleeping bags. Talk to Katy and Peter Thompson for more information on how to help. firstname.lastname@example.org
Young Adult Beach BBQ
The young adults will meet for a beach BBQ at Leo Carrillo at 5:30pm this Friday!
– Ann Warford, mourning the loss of her sister, Carol Thompson.
– Sandy Dawson, for healing while in ICU following a recent surgery.
– Sammy Maiorca, Steve’s father, who is living with ALS.
– June Ferguson, Tiffany’s mother, for health concerns.
– Ilse Hathaway, Shannon Warwar’s mother.
– Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
The Week Ahead:
Thursday, August 17: S.O.S. at Malibu United Methodist Church at 6:15pm
Friday, August 18: Young Adult Beach BBQ at Leo Carrillo Beach at 5:30pm
Sunday, August 20: Bible Classes (9am); Worship Service (10:15am in Elkins Auditorium); Office Open House (11:30am); Senior Ministry Planning Meeting (2pm); Youth Group Back to School BBQ (5:30pm)
– August 27: Class at 9am in Fireside Room (combined adult, college, and teens)
– August 27: Rising Up Ceremony (Jesus Company) at 9am
– August 27: Fall Kickoff Sunday!
– September 14: Kids Club Kickoff (4pm at Baxter Park for elementary students)
– September 17: Sunday Worship at Zuma Beach
– September 24: All-Church Kickoff Fellowship Event
– October 22: All-Church Harvest Party at the Warwars
Attendance (August 13): 261
Contribution (August 13): $8,179.00
Weekly Need: $8,231.76
Weekly Average (YTD): $6,642.80
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: email@example.com
– Facebook Page: facebook.com/groups/University.MalibuChurchofChrist
– Phone Number: 310.506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us
Servant Leaders (2017-2018)
Please contact an individual leader if you are interested in serving on her or his respective team!
- Adult Education: Dave Lemley & Robby Schaffer
- Benevolence/Service: Katy & Peter Thompson
- Finance: Chris Bauman
- Hospitality: Brad & Liz Mancuso
- Life Together: Brad & Linn Griffin; Stacy & Steve Rouse
- Men’s Ministry: Lee Morgan
- Missions: David & Pat Dowdey
- Prayer: Kari Coppinger
- Tech Ministry: Randy Coppinger
- Women’s Ministry: Jenny Parmelee
- Worship Coordination: Shannon Warwar
- Worship Design: Eric Wilson
Children’s Class Teachers (2017-2018)
Here is the lineup beginning in late August!
– Cradle Roll: Brad & Linn Griffin (fall); Corinne Le & a college student (spring)
– Toddlers: Corinne Le & Carlie Ott (fall); Linda Truschke & Jody Sturgeon (spring)
– Preschool: Kari Coppinger & Rachel Jolly (fall); Angie Lemley & a college student (spring)
– K-3rd grade: Annette Trisler & Annie Sides (fall); Rick Cupp & Al Sturgeon (spring)
– 4th-5th grades: Emily & Jason Jarvis (fall); Dusty Breeding & teen helpers (spring)