Andrea Zahler prays at the Candelight Devo at the close of NSO
Update on Helen Young
Helen Young, who celebrated her 99th birthday on August 31, will be moving to Lubbock, Texas by October 1. She will live in a newly built assisted living community which specializes in memory care. It is located a few blocks from Lubbock Christian University, whose founders included Norvel Young and Helen’s brother, F.W. Mattox. In Lubbock Helen will live near her daughter and son-in-law, Emily and Steven Lemley, and Helen’s granddaughter Amy Cary and her young family. Helen and her husband Norvel started their family and served in ministry at the Broadway Church of Christ in Lubbock before coming to Pepperdine in 1957. It is a place full of family and enduring friendships. In fact, three other residents in this home were Helen’s friends during her time at the Broadway Church. Helen’s family – Youngs, Jacksons, and Lemleys – deeply appreciate the love and kindness Helen has received from this body of believers! She has loved and been loved here. Her sixty years with the Pepperdine community were grounded by her church family. Your care for her in the last fifteen years, especially, has meant so much. She leaves her California family and this family of faith a legacy of devotion and gracious hospitality. She carries with her your legacy of love into this next chapter of life. If you would like to send her a card, send it to: Helen Young, c/o Emily Lemley, 4614 87th St, Lubbock, TX 79424.
Bible Class Updates
#1: Al Sturgeon will teach an adult combined “UCC 101” class at 9am this Sunday (September 3) in Appleby Center 290. All adults (college students and older) are invited. The class is designed to introduce the University Church of Christ to anyone interested in learning more about and/or becoming a member. For current members, it will be an opportunity to see the new class in action! Note: The three new fall semester adult classes will kick off on September 10!
#2: Our new children’s classes will kick off this Sunday (September 3):
The children will study the miracles of Jesus this semester. Here is the wonderful teaching lineup!
– Cradle Roll: Brad & Linn Griffin
– Toddlers: Corinne Le & Carlie Ott
– Preschool: Kari Coppinger & Rachel Jolly
– K-3rd grade: Annette Trisler
– 4th-5th grades: Emily & Jason Jarvis
Special Sunday Message!
My sermon this Sunday is titled, “An Invitation to Trust,” but the heart of the message will be a special testimony by Paul Caron that he has titled: From Moses to Hamilton: A Dean’s Journey. You don’t want to miss it!
Ice Cream Social at the Parmelees!
Bring your family, lawn chairs or blankets, and ice cream (home-made or from the store), toppings, fruit, cookies, anything that goes on top of or with ice cream! Sunday, September 3, 6:00 p.m. at the home of Steve and Corleen Parmelee (3498 Calle Quebracho, Thousand Oaks, CA 91360).
For anyone interested in learning more about and/or becoming a member of the University Church of Christ, there are two opportunities coming up: First, the class for all adults on Sunday, September 3, at 9am in Appleby Center 286 (see above). Second, we will host a “UCC 101 Lunch & Class” on Sunday, September 10, following morning worship in the Sturgeon condo. Everyone is invited on September 3, but please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org for the class on September 10.
Church Small Group Sign-ups
Sign-ups for church small groups (aka “house groups”) will take place over the next two Sundays (September 3 & 10). There are twelve options remaining! The groups will meet nine to ten times each semester on the following days of the week and at the following locations. Please let Al know which group you are interested in joining.
- Angie & Dave Lemley: Sunday evenings at 4:30pm (Malibu – Baxter)
- Bernie & Connie James: Sunday evenings at 5pm (Malibu – just off campus)
- Regan & Robby Schaffer: Sunday evenings at 5pm (Malibu – Baxter)
- Jay & Stephanie Brewster: Sunday evenings at 5:30pm (Malibu – Mariposa)
- Susan Giboney: Tuesday evenings at 6pm (Malibu – Baxter)
- Al & Jody Sturgeon: Tuesday evenings at 6:30pm (Malibu – Mariposa)
- Greg & Shannon Warwar: Tuesday evenings at 6:30pm (Moorpark)
- Patty Atkisson or Jere Yates: Wednesday evenings at 6:30pm (Agoura/Thousand Oaks)
- John & Claudette Wilson: Wednesday evenings at 7pm (Malibu – Tiner Court)
- Linda Truschke: Wednesday evenings at 7pm (Malibu – Baxter)
- Chris & Leslie Bauman: Wednesday evenings (Malibu – Via de Casa)
- Cathryn & Jeff Walling: Wednesday evenings (Malibu – Via de Casa)
The Well Update
“The Well” will not start until next week, so mark your calendars for Thursday, September 7, at 8pm in the Amphitheater!
New Prayer Request
Vera Davis, a former UCC member, is in ICU at Los Robles Hospital. No visitors please, but you can send messages through Shirley at email@example.com. Vera faces hospice care on dismissal from the hospital.
– Those in Texas suffering from Hurricane Harvey
– Sandy Dawson, for healing following a recent surgery.
– Sammy Maiorca, Steve’s father, who is living with ALS.
– Ilse Hathaway, Shannon Warwar’s mother.
– Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
The Week Ahead:
– September 1-3: Campus Ministry Base Camp
– September 3: Special “UCC 101” Adult Bible Class (AC 290)
– September 3: New Children’s Classes Begin
– September 3: Worship in Elkins Auditorium at 10:15am
– September 6: Youth Group House Group (at Dusty & Cecily’s condo)
– September 7: “The Well” Kickoff (8pm in the Amphitheater)
– September 10: New Adult Bible Classes Launch!
– September 10: UCC 101 Lunch & Class (Sturgeon condo)
– September 10: Seniors Ministry Lunch & Program (faculty dining room)
– September 14: Kids Club Kickoff (4pm at Baxter Park for elementary students)
– September 17: Sunday Worship at Zuma Beach
– September 24: All-Church Kickoff Fellowship Event
– September 30: Women’s Fellowship Ministry Potluck with Guest Speaker on Getting Organized
– October 3: Men’s Fellowship Event
– October 22: All-Church Harvest Party at the Warwars
– November 3-5: Women’s Retreat (tentative)
– November 12: Benevolence Sunday
Attendance (August 27): 394
Contribution (August 27): $12,853.90
Weekly Need: $8,231.76
Weekly Average (YTD): $7,025.41
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Facebook Page: facebook.com/groups/University.MalibuChurchofChrist
– Phone Number: 310.506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us
Servant Leaders (2017-2018)
Please contact an individual leader if you are interested in serving on her or his respective team!
- Adult Education: Dave Lemley & Robby Schaffer
- Benevolence/Service: Katy & Peter Thompson
- Finance: Chris Bauman
- Hospitality: Brad & Liz Mancuso
- Life Together: Brad & Linn Griffin; Stacy & Steve Rouse
- Men’s Ministry: Lee Morgan
- Missions: David & Pat Dowdey
- Prayer: Kari Coppinger
- Tech Ministry: Randy Coppinger
- Women’s Ministry: Jenny Parmelee
- Worship Coordination: Shannon Warwar
- Worship Design: Eric Wilson
Yep, we’re the new cool church with a Starbucks just outside our church office!