We rejoice with the Thompson family in the birth of Zion Craig Thompson, who arrived on Saturday, July 1. Zion tipped the scales at 9 lbs, 9 oz, and stretched out at 22 inches long. Everyone is healthy and happy! A “meal train” has been set up for the Thompsons at https://www.mealtrain.com/trains/ylk2vk.
Summer in Stauffer Continues
Summer in Stauffer continues this Sunday. Classes for all ages are at 9am and worship assembly at 10:15am. Sara Barton will teach the adult class in Stauffer Chapel on the subject of Melchizedek. The morning sermon will come from Hebrews 6:13-8:13 and is titled, “The New Deal.”
Children’s Class Teachers (2017-2018)
We are proud to announce that we have enough teachers to hold five children’s classes in the fall and spring and to rotate teachers each semester! Here is the lineup:
- Cradle Roll: Brad & Linn Griffin (fall); Corinne Le & a college student (spring)
- Toddlers: Corinne Le & a college student (fall); Linda Truschke & Jody Sturgeon (spring)
- Preschool: Kari Coppinger & a college student (fall); Angie Lemley & a college student (spring)
- K-3rd grade: Annette Trisler & a college student (fall); Rick Cupp & Al Sturgeon (spring)
- 4th-5th grades: Emily & Jason Jarvis (fall); Dusty Breeding & teen helpers (spring)
Kids Club Planning Meeting
All parents of elementary-aged children are invited to a brief kids club planning meeting in the church office with Al on Sunday, July 16 (one week from this Sunday), following the morning worship assembly.
Next Year’s All-Church Campout
This year’s church camp out was a great success! The planning team has already made reservations at the Ventura Ranch KOA for next year, May 25 and 26. For those of you that would prefer to stay in a cabin ($175 per night), there are some available in the area where the group camp will be. Contact Cindy Morgan (firstname.lastname@example.org for details. These will fill quickly so reserve soon if interested.
– Ann Warford, for ongoing health challenges.
– Carol Thompson and family, Ann Warford’s sister, in hospice care from her ALS condition.
– Sue Griffin, Brad’s mother, surgery for kidney stones tomorrow (July 7) and mastectomy on July 19.
– Taylor Lowe, as he recovers from multiple injuries following a hiking accident. Please refrain from emails or visits at this time, but cards are welcomed (24531 Mariposa Circle, Malibu, CA 90265)
– Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
Stats from Last Week:
Sunday Worship Attendance: 130
Weekly Contribution: $7,488.09
The Week Ahead:
Saturday, July 8: Youth Group Cinema-Rama
Sunday, July 9: Bible Classes (9am); Worship Service (10:15am in Stauffer Chapel)
Monday, July 10: Youth Group Six Flags Trip
Wednesday, July 12: Youth Group House Group (7pm at the Breedings)
– July 15: Young Adult Campfire & Taco Bar at the Warwars (more info below)
– July 16: Kids Club Planning Meeting (more info above)
– July 16-22: SoCal Teen Camp (more info below)
– July 30-August 5: King’s Kamp (more info below)
– August 13: Return to Elkins Auditorium (and Eric Wilson preaches!)
– August 17: S.O.S. Ministry
– August 20: Seniors Ministry Planning Meeting (2pm)
– August 27: Fall Kickoff Sunday!
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: email@example.com
– Facebook Page: facebook.com/groups/University.MalibuChurchofChrist
– Phone Number: 310.506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us
Young Adult Campfire & Taco Bar at the Warwars
The Warwars will host the next monthly young adult get-together on Saturday evening, July 15, which will include a campfire and taco bar at their home in Moorpark! Please mark this fun night on your calendars.
Seeking House Group Hosts for Fall 2017
Contact me (Al) if you are interested in serving as a house group host for the fall semester. We are excited that house groups will go even further in the coming year to build intergenerational relationships in our church family. We still need a few more locations.
Summer Camp Registrations:
(i) – SoCal Teen Camp is scheduled for July 16-22. Register at www.socalteencamp.org. (ii) King’s Kamp is a week-long Bible camp for boys and girls entering 4th through 8th grades in the fall of 2017. It is scheduled for July 30 through August 5 (http://www.kingskamp.org). Registration is $345 (by July 1), and late registration is $370. The cost for additional campers from the same family is $299 each. King’s Kamp is limited to the first 120 registrations.
Summer Adult Bible Class Schedule
July 9: Melchizedek (Sara Barton)
July 16: The Tabernacle (Greg Warwar)
July 23: Judgment Day (John Barton)
July 30: Abraham & Sarah’s Faith – combined with teens (Dusty Breeding)
August 6: Mount Sinai & Mount Zion (Dave Lemley)
August 13: Singing – combined with teens (Brad Griffin)
August 20: Benedictions in the New Testament (Mike Folkerts)