The Aleme Family
Return to Stauffer on Sunday
Summer in Stauffer continues this Sunday. Classes for all ages are at 9am, and Randy Chesnutt will teach the adult class in Stauffer on the topic of “high priests.” The worship assembly will begin at 10:15am, and my sermon will draw from Hebrews 4:14-5:10 and is titled, “A Present Help.”
Prayers & Help for the Aleme Family
Please keep the Aleme family and Ethiopia in your prayers. Unrest continues in Ethiopia, and the U.S. Embassy has issued a travel warning for the region. In addition, Dereje will be in the L.A. area from June 29 until possibly August 12 for his 10-year renewal of his U.S. permanent residency. There are several ways to help Dereje during his visit: (i) pick him up from LAX on June 29; (ii) give him a place to stay even if for a day or two during his time in L.A. (again, from June 29 – August 12); and/or (iii) have him over for a dinner or two. Please contact email@example.com if you can help in any way.
Meals with the Youth Interns
Tiffany Ferguson and Laura Fehlbaum had Ashley, Paul, and Nathan (our youth ministry interns) over for dinner this week, and they wanted to encourage more members of the church to sign up to host them for a meal–regardless of whether or not you have kids in the youth group. “They were on time, kind, and so fun! We got to know each other over a simple meal and then invited them to stay for a game that led to lots of laughs.” If you’re interested, email firstname.lastname@example.org to get on their calendar.
Young Adult Campfire & Taco Bar at the Warwars
The Warwars will host the next monthly young adult get-together on Saturday evening, July 15, which will include a campfire and taco bar at their home in Moorpark! Please mark this fun night on your calendars.
Seeking House Group Hosts for Fall 2017
Contact me (Al) if you are interested in serving as a house group host for the fall semester. We are excited that house groups will go even further in the coming year to build intergenerational relationships in our church family. We still need about five more locations.
Seniors Ministry Exploratory Meeting
An exploratory meeting regarding a new “seniors ministry” among the older members of our church family will be held at the home of Jere Yates (email Al for the address) this Sunday evening, June 25, at 7pm. Coffee and tea will be served. The basic concept is to provide regular opportunities for seniors to engage in conversation and fellowship together. The definition of “seniors” is ambiguous at this point, so anyone interested in the idea is invited to attend the exploratory meeting. Please RSVP to Jere at email@example.com.
– Ann Warford, for ongoing health challenges.
– Carol Thompson and family, Ann Warford’s sister, in hospice care from her ALS condition.
– Sue Griffin, Brad’s mother, undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer.
– Katy and Peter Thompson (expectant parents, due 7/3).
– Taylor Lowe, as he recovers from multiple injuries following a hiking accident. Please refrain from emails or visits at this time, but cards are welcomed (24531 Mariposa Circle, Malibu, CA 90265)
– Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
Stats from Last Week:
Sunday Worship Attendance: 308
Weekly Contribution: $4,990.24
The Week Ahead:
Sunday, June 25: Bible Classes (9am); Worship Service (10:15am in Stauffer Chapel)
Sunday, June 25: Seniors Ministry Exploratory Meeting (more info above)
Wednesday, June 28: Youth Group House Group (7pm at Dusty & Cecily’s)
– July 15: Young Adult Campfire & Taco Bar at the Warwars (more info above)
– July 16-22: SoCal Teen Camp (more info below)
– July 30-August 5: King’s Kamp (more info below)
– August 13: Return to Elkins Auditorium (and Eric Wilson preaches!)
– August 17: S.O.S. Ministry
– August 27: Fall Kickoff Sunday!
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Facebook Page: facebook.com/groups/University.MalibuChurchofChrist
– Phone Number: 310.506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us
Summer Camp Registrations:
(i) – SoCal Teen Camp is scheduled for July 16-22. Register at www.socalteencamp.org. (ii) King’s Kamp is a week-long Bible camp for boys and girls entering 4th through 8th grades in the fall of 2017. It is scheduled for July 30 through August 5 (http://www.kingskamp.org). Registration is $345 (by July 1), and late registration is $370. The cost for additional campers from the same family is $299 each. King’s Kamp is limited to the first 120 registrations.
Summer Adult Bible Class Schedule
June 25: High Priests (Randy Chesnutt)
July 2: Singing – combined with teens (Brad Griffin)
July 9: Melchizedek (Sara Barton)
July 16: The Tabernacle (Greg Warwar)
July 23: Judgment Day (John Barton)
July 30: Abraham & Sarah’s Faith – combined with teens (Dusty Breeding)
August 6: Mount Sinai & Mount Zion (Dave Lemley)
August 13: Singing – combined with teens (Brad Griffin)
August 20: Benedictions in the New Testament (Mike Folkerts)
Young Adult Game Night at GlowZone