Jeff Walling interviewing Jim Gash at last year’s CrossWays
Meeting in Elkins Auditorium on Sunday!
We will take a break from “Summer in Stauffer” this Sunday because 100+ high school students from across the nation (CrossWays) will join us for both class and our worship assembly! Please join us for both class and worship and warmly welcome our guests since this will be their introduction to our congregation. Class is at 9am, and Jeff Walling will teach the combined adult and teen class in Elkins on “Sabbath.” The worship assembly will begin at 10:15am. Taylor Walling and Won By One will lead us in singing, and my sermon will come from Hebrews 4: 1-13 and is titled, “Lead Me to Rest.” We will resume Summer in Stauffer on June 25.
Tonight is our next opportunity to serve our homeless neighbors through the S.O.S. ministry. Please contact Katy Thompson if you are able to provide food and/or stay and serve.
Seeking House Group Hosts for Fall 2017!
Contact me (Al) if you are interested in serving as a house group host for the fall semester. We are excited that house groups will go even further in the coming year to build intergenerational relationships in our church family!
Youth Group Mini-Golf
Tomorrow night (Friday June 16), the youth group interns will be taking the youth group to go play Mini-Golf! Meet at Dusty’s at 6:30 to leave. Transportation is provided.
Young Adult Bowling Night
The next young adult game night is scheduled for Tuesday, June 20, at 7pm at Winnetka Bowl. Contact me (Al) if you are interested in joining in!
New Prayer Request:
Please pray for Taylor Lowe, son of Dennis & Emily, who sustained multiple injuries in a scary hiking accident last Saturday. Please pray for Taylor and the recovery process ahead.
– The Passage, for safety and a meaningful trip for our high school graduates and the Breedings and Perrins on their trek through Alaska.
– Ann Warford, for ongoing health challenges.
– Carol Thompson and family, Ann Warford’s sister, in hospice care from her ALS condition.
– Sue Griffin, Brad’s mother, undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer.
– Katy and Peter Thompson (expectant parents, due 7/3).
– Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
Stats from Last Week:
Sunday Worship Attendance: 182
Weekly Contribution: $7,177.70
The Week Ahead:
Thursday, June 15: S.O.S. Ministry (6:15pm at Malibu United Methodist Church)
Friday, June 16: Youth Group Mini-Golf
Sunday, June 18: Bible Classes (9am); Worship Service (10:15am in Elkins Auditorium)
Tuesday, June 20: Young Adult Bowling Night at Winnetka Bowl
Wednesday, June 21: Youth Group House Group (7pm at Dusty & Cecily’s)
– June 25: Seniors Ministry Exploratory Meeting (more info below)
– July 16-22: SoCal Teen Camp (more info below)
– July 30-August 5: King’s Kamp (more info below)
– August 13: Return to Elkins Auditorium (and Eric Wilson preaches!)
– August 17: S.O.S. Ministry
– August 27: Fall Kickoff Sunday!
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: email@example.com
– Facebook Page: facebook.com/groups/University.MalibuChurchofChrist
– Phone Number: 310.506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us
Seniors Ministry Exploratory Meeting
An exploratory meeting regarding a new “seniors ministry” among the older members of our church family will be held at the home of Jere Yates (email Al for the address) on Sunday evening, June 25, at 7pm. Coffee and tea will be served. The basic concept is to provide regular opportunities for seniors to engage in conversation and fellowship together. The definition of “seniors” is ambiguous at this point, so anyone interested in the idea is invited to attend the exploratory meeting. Please RSVP to Jere at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer Camp Registrations:
(i) – SoCal Teen Camp is scheduled for July 16-22. Register at www.socalteencamp.org. (ii) King’s Kamp is a week-long Bible camp for boys and girls entering 4th through 8th grades in the fall of 2017. It is scheduled for July 30 through August 5 (http://www.kingskamp.org). Registration is $345 (by July 1), and late registration is $370. The cost for additional campers from the same family is $299 each. King’s Kamp is limited to the first 120 registrations.
Summer Adult Bible Class Schedule
June 18: Sabbath – combined with teens (Jeff Walling)
June 25: High Priests (Randy Chesnutt)
July 2: Singing – combined with teens (Brad Griffin)
July 9: Melchizedek (Sara Barton)
July 16: The Tabernacle (Greg Warwar)
July 23: Judgment Day (John Barton)
July 30: Abraham & Sarah’s Faith – combined with teens (Dusty Breeding)
August 6: Mount Sinai & Mount Zion (Dave Lemley)
August 13: Singing – combined with teens (Brad Griffin)
August 20: Benedictions in the New Testament (Mike Folkerts)
Summer Church Office Hours
The church office will officially be open for drop-in visits from 8:30am until 11am each day Monday through Friday. The ministry staff will be in the office much more, of course, but please email in advance to confirm that someone will be here.
“The Passage” Crew in Alaska