A massive thank-you to Cindy & Lee Morgan and Jenny & Sam Parmelee for spearheading an amazing all-church camping trip last weekend for around sixty church family members!
Moving Up Ceremony
This Sunday, our youth ministry will partner with the children’s ministry for the moving up ceremony. This is a time to welcome the incoming 6th graders to our youth group. After this date, incoming 6th graders are welcome to participate in all youth ministry related activities.
Seniors Ministry Exploratory Meeting
An exploratory meeting regarding a new “seniors ministry” among the older members of our church family will be held at the home of Jere Yates (email Al for the address) on Sunday evening, June 25, at 7pm. Coffee and tea will be served. The basic concept is to provide regular opportunities for seniors to engage in conversation and fellowship together. The definition of “seniors” is ambiguous at this point, so anyone interested in the idea is invited to attend the exploratory meeting. Please RSVP to Jere at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank You Note from Ghana!
Our church family received “a big Christian hug, a thank you and a short story that helps us believe what we know” from Sonrise Christian High School in Ghana. Our recent missions contribution was an answered prayer for this good work. They had been raising funds and supplies for large equipment needed in Ghana and had just started praying for the funds still needed. Our contribution filled the total estimate for the funds needed for purchases in Ghana!
Thank You Update from the Lemleys
The Lemleys are grateful for the prayers and care of our church family this week. After hospitalization for chest pain on Sunday, Dave had a successful and minimally invasive procedure Tuesday to open a blocked artery. He is home and feeling good, and will be back to normal (& improved) routines in a few days.
Summer in Stauffer Continues
Summer in Stauffer continues this Sunday and will continue through August 6 (with one exception on June 18 when we will be in Elkins). Classes are at 9am (adults in Stauffer; teens in the caf; and children in Plaza Classrooms); I will teach the adult class on the Incarnation this Sunday. Worship is at 10:15am, and we will reflect on the humanity of Jesus as we close out Hebrews 2 with a sermon titled, “Brother Jesus.”
– Mary Miller, as she rehabilitates in a skilled nursing facility from a fall and two fractures.
– Ann Warford, for ongoing health challenges.
– Carol Thompson and family, Ann Warford’s sister, in hospice care from her ALS condition.
– Sue Griffin, Brad’s mother, undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer.
– Katy and Peter Thompson (expectant parents, due 7/3).
– Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
Stats from Last Week:
Sunday Worship Attendance: 180 (125 in Stauffer; 55 at the camping trip worship service)
Weekly Contribution: $11,000.00
The Week Ahead:
Thursday, June 1: The Well (8pm in Stauffer Chapel)
Sunday, June 4: Bible Classes (9am); Worship Service (10:15am in Stauffer Chapel)
Sunday, June 4: Moving Up Ceremony
Wednesday, June 7: Youth Group House Group (7pm at Dusty & Cecily’s)
– June 15: S.O.S. Ministry
– June 18: Host Crossways (meet in Elkins that Sunday)
– June 25: Seniors Ministry Exploratory Meeting
– July 16-22: SoCal Teen Camp (more info below)
– July 30-August 5: King’s Kamp (more info below)
– August 13: Return to Elkins Auditorium (and Eric Wilson preaches!)
– August 17: S.O.S. Ministry
– August 27: Fall Kickoff Sunday!
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: email@example.com
– Facebook Page: facebook.com/groups/University.MalibuChurchofChrist
– Phone Number: 310.506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us
Summer Camp Registrations:
(i) – SoCal Teen Camp is scheduled for July 16-22. Register at www.socalteencamp.org. (ii) King’s Kamp is a week-long Bible camp for boys and girls entering 4th through 8th grades in the fall of 2017. It is scheduled for July 30 through August 5 (http://www.kingskamp.org). Early bird registration cost will be $320 (if registered by TODAY!). Regular registration is $345 (by July 1), and late registration is $370. The cost for additional campers from the same family is $299 each. King’s Kamp is limited to the first 120 registrations.
Summer Adult Bible Class Schedule
June 4: The Incarnation (Al Sturgeon)
June 11: Moses (Steve Davis)
June 18: Sabbath – combined with teens (Jeff Walling)
June 25: High Priests (Randy Chesnutt)
July 2: Singing – combined with teens (Brad Griffin)
July 9: Melchizedek (Sara Barton)
July 16: The Tabernacle (Greg Warwar)
July 23: Judgment Day (John Barton)
July 30: Abraham & Sarah’s Faith – combined with teens (Dusty Breeding)
August 6: Mount Sinai & Mount Zion (Dave Lemley)
August 13: Singing – combined with teens (Brad Griffin)
August 20: Benedictions in the New Testament (Mike Folkerts)
Summer Church Office Hours
The church office will officially be open for drop-in visits from 8:30am until 11am each day Monday through Friday. The ministry staff will be in the office much more, of course, but please email in advance to confirm that someone will be here.