Summer in Stauffer Begins!
On Sunday, we will begin meeting in Stauffer Chapel for the summer through August 6 (with one exception on June 18 when we will be in Elkins). The summer sermon series is titled, “An Encouraging Word,” and will cover Hebrews. The adult class will complement the sermon series on Hebrews and meet in Stauffer Chapel as well (youth group will meet in the cafeteria, and children in Plaza Classrooms). I will teach the first class session this Sunday, and it will be an introduction to Hebrews. The full class schedule is included at the bottom of this set of announcements. Classes at 9am, and worship at 10:15am.
Teaching our Children
We have had several volunteers to teach children’s classes in the fall and spring, but we could use some more – particularly in the younger ages (babies plus toddlers!). The request is to lead teach, co-teach, or assist in a children’s class for one semester only. Email me at email@example.com if you are willing to serve in this very important way!
– Mary Miller, as she rehabilitates in a skilled nursing facility from a fall and two fractures.
– Ann Warford, for ongoing health challenges.
– Carol Thompson and family, Ann Warford’s sister, in hospice care from her ALS condition.
– Sue Griffin, Brad’s mother, undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer.
– Terry Kite and family, as they mourn the loss of Jo.
– Katy and Peter Thompson (expectant parents, due 7/3).
– Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
Stats from Last Week:
Sunday Worship Attendance: 185
Weekly Contribution: $4,147.00
The Week Ahead:
Thursday, May 18: The Well (8pm in Stauffer Chapel)
Sunday, May 21: Bible Classes (9am); Worship Service (10:15am in Stauffer Chapel)
Tuesday, May 23: Young Adult Game Night (6:30pm; more info below)
Wednesday, May 24: Youth Group House Group (7pm at Dusty & Cecily’s)
– May 26-28: All-Church Camping Trip
– June 4: Moving Up Ceremony (more info below)
– June 18: Host Crossways (meet in Elkins that Sunday)
– July 16-22: SoCal Teen Camp (more info below)
– July 30-August 5: King’s Kamp (more info below)
– August 13: Return to Elkins Auditorium (and Eric Wilson preaches!)
– August 27: Fall Kickoff Sunday!
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Facebook Page: facebook.com/groups/University.MalibuChurchofChrist
– Phone Number: 310.506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us
Summer Church Office Hours
The church office will officially be open for drop-in visits from 8:30am until 11am each day Monday through Friday. The ministry staff will be in the office much more, of course, but please email in advance to confirm that someone will be here.
More Detailed Announcements:
– Young Adult Game Night at the Sturgeons’ Condo (May 23): We had 26 folks attend the inaugural young adult get-together in April! Our second monthly get-together is another game night at the Sturgeons (24535 Mariposa Circle) at 6:30pm on Tuesday evening, May 23. The target audience is both married and unmarried young adults who have graduated from college but are not yet in the parenting crowd. The Sturgeons will provide Subway sandwich/cookies platters and drinks. Donations to offset the cost are accepted but not required!
– Moving Up Ceremony: On Sunday, June 4th, our youth ministry will partner with the children’s ministry for the moving up ceremony. This is a time to welcome the incoming 6th graders to our youth group. After this date, incoming 6th graders are welcome to participate in all youth ministry related activities.
– Summer Camp Registrations: (i) – SoCal Teen Camp is scheduled for July 16-22. Register by May 30 to receive the on-time price at www.socalteencamp.org. The price will go up after May 30! (ii) King’s Kamp is a week-long Bible camp for boys and girls entering 4th through 8th grades in the fall of 2017. It is scheduled for July 30 through August 5 (http://www.kingskamp.org). Early bird registration cost will be $320 (if registered by June 1). Regular registration is $345 (by July 1), and late registration is $370. The cost for additional campers from the same family is $299 each. King’s Kamp is limited to the first 120 registrations.
Summer Adult Bible Class Schedule
May 21: Introduction to Hebrews (Al Sturgeon)
May 28: Angels (Edna Powell)
June 4: The Incarnation (Al Sturgeon)
June 11: Moses (Steve Davis)
June 18: Sabbath – combined with teens in Elkins (Jeff Walling)
June 25: High Priests (Randy Chesnutt)
July 2: Singing – combined with teens (Brad Griffin)
July 9: Melchizedek (Sara Barton)
July 16: The Tabernacle (Greg Warwar)
July 23: Judgment Day (John Barton)
July 30: Abraham & Sarah’s Faith – combined with teens (Dusty Breeding)
August 6: Mount Sinai & Mount Zion (Dave Lemley)
August 13: Singing – combined with teens in Elkins (Brad Griffin)
August 20: Benedictions in the New Testament — in Elkins (Mike Folkerts)