Graduation Desserts Celebration for our High School Seniors (May 13)!
Please join Sarah Brand, Keaton Brewster, Justin Truschke, Taylor Mathews, Sam Burton, Nic Cupp, Dom Rouse, Jaime Le & Jesse Morgan and their families at the Le home (24349 Baxter Drive) for a graduation desserts celebration this Saturday from 4pm to 7pm. RSVP via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Mother’s Day Updates
First, there will be no Sunday Bible classes this Sunday (Mother’s Day, May 14), including children and teens. We will launch our Summer Sunday Bible Classes for all ages on May 21. Second, as mentioned on Sunday, I look forward to listening to an actual mother share the Mother’s Day message from God’s Word! Corleen Parmelee has graciously agreed to deliver the message instead of me this Sunday. Corleen is lead teacher for Community Bible Study and is such a wonderful and respected member of our church family.
All-Church Camping Trip
There are still a few spaces available for the camping trip. Please plan to register by this Sunday, May 14th so that we can finalize headcount and plan for food. Submit your registration form and payment to Jenny Parmelee. Here is the Camping Registration Form.
Teaching our Children
It is hard to imagine anything more important than teaching our children. To that end, after visiting with Corinne, I am forming a list of church members interested in teaching our Sunday children’s classes starting in the fall. So as not to wear anyone out, I expect we can get enough volunteers so that no one has to teach longer than one semester at a time. We will also work on getting a good number of college students to assist in the classes! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in lead teaching, co-teaching, or assisting in a Sunday morning children’s class for either the fall or spring semester. No assignments/commitments just yet – we will simply assemble a list and then I will share with Corinne to figure out how to best share the load between all the volunteers. My full-time ministry partners, Dusty and Linda, have already joined me on the list along with a few others — but we need more! Let me know if I can add you to the list!
Summer Youth Group Interns
The UCC Youth Group Summer Interns will arrive this weekend and be at worship with us on Sunday! Please welcome Ash Whitaker, Nathan Brackins, and Paul Cox! They will be with us until mid-August. If you would like to host them for dinner on a Monday night this summer, please email Dusty (email@example.com) and sign up.
New Interns & Dusty
New Prayer Request:
Mary Miller fell on Monday afternoon and fractured her pelvis in two places. She continues to be in a lot of pain. Please keep Mary in your prayers. You can send a message to Mary via John or Charlene’s email address, and they will read it to her. If you would like to send a card, you can email me for the Miller’s mailing address.
– Terry Kite and family, as they mourn the loss of Jo.
– Ann Warford, for ongoing health challenges.
– Carol Thompson and family, Ann Warford’s sister, in hospice care from her ALS condition.
– Sue Griffin, Brad’s mother, undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer.
– Katy and Peter Thompson (expectant parents, due 7/3).
– Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
Stats from Last Week:
Sunday Worship Attendance: 191
Weekly Contribution: $7,809.50
The Week Ahead:
Thursday, May 11: The Well (8pm in Stauffer Chapel)
Saturday, May 13: Graduation Desserts Celebration for High School Seniors (4-7pm at the Le’s)
Sunday, May 14: Worship Service (10:15am in Elkins)
Wednesday, May 17: Youth Group House Group (7pm at Dusty & Cecily’s)
– May 21: Summer in Stauffer begins (more info below)
– May 23: Young Adult Game Night (more info below)
– May 26-28: All-Church Camping Trip
– July 16-22: SoCal Teen Camp (more info below)
– July 30-August 5: King’s Kamp (more info below)
– August 27: Fall Kickoff Sunday!
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Facebook Page: facebook.com/groups/University.MalibuChurchofChrist
– Phone Number: 310.506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us
Summer Church Office Hours
Starting Monday, May 8, the church office will officially be open for drop-in visits from 8:30am until 11am each day Monday through Friday. The ministry staff will be in the office much more, of course, but please email in advance to confirm that someone will be here.
More Detailed Announcements:
– Summer in Stauffer (starting May 21) We will move the location of our Sunday morning worship service and adult Bible class to Stauffer Chapel for the summer starting on May 21 and continuing through August 6 (with one exception on June 18 when we will be in Elkins). The summer sermon series is titled, “An Encouraging Word,” and will cover Hebrews. The adult class will complement the sermon series on Hebrews and meet in Stauffer Chapel as well. The teen class will meet in the cafeteria.
– Young Adult Game Night at the Sturgeons’ Condo (May 23): We had 26 folks attend the inaugural young adult get-together in April! Our second monthly get-together is another game night at the Sturgeons (24535 Mariposa Circle) at 6:30pm on Tuesday evening, May 23. The target audience is both married and unmarried young adults who have graduated from college but are not yet in the parenting crowd. The Sturgeons will provide Subway sandwich/cookies platters and drinks. Donations to offset the cost are accepted but not required!
– Summer Camp Registrations: (i) – SoCal Teen Camp is scheduled for July 16-22. Register at www.socalteencamp.org; (ii) King’s Kamp is a week-long Bible camp for boys and girls entering 4th through 8th grades in the fall of 2017. It is scheduled for July 30 through August 5 (http://www.kingskamp.org). Early bird registration cost will be $320 (if registered by June 1). Regular registration is $345 (by July 1), and late registration is $370. The cost for additional campers from the same family is $299 each. King’s Kamp is limited to the first 120 registrations.