Zun “Rose” Ze, who graduated from Seaver College last Friday, was baptized after graduation! Ron Highfield had the honor of receiving her confession of faith, and Alistair, Basil, and Gillian Chong’s father had the privilege of baptizing her. We plan to recognize Rose’s baptism in our assembly when she returns on Sunday, May 14.
Bible Class Update
There will be no Sunday Bible classes this Sunday (May 7) or next (May 14), including children and teens. We will launch our Summer Sunday Bible Classes for all ages on May 21.
Summer Church Office Hours
Starting Monday, May 8, the church office will officially be open for drop-in visits from 8:30am until 11am each day Monday through Friday. The ministry staff will be in the office much more, of course, but please email in advance to confirm that someone will be here.
We mourn with the Kite family in the loss of Jo last Saturday. We are thankful for Jo’s life, inspiration, and friendship and pray blessings of peace and comfort on Terry and the family.
Thank You Notes
– From the Missions Committee: The Missions Committee wants to thank the congregation for your extraordinary generosity to the annual fund this year. We were able to give more financial help to all of our missionaries who are very thankful, particularly as their needs continue to increase! With gratitude, Susan Giboney, Servant Leader for Missions
– From Kari Coppinger: I am so grateful for how our church family rallies to support good work and each other. Thank you to all who participated through prayers, encouragement, donations and showing up to the HOPE4Kids Festival & Run. We were represented at the event by runners 10 and 8 volunteers. We did some good work together! A lot of children and families will be blessed.
– Ann Warford, for recovery from a hospital stay and ongoing health challenges.
– Carol Thompson and family, Ann Warford’s sister, in hospice care from her ALS condition.
– Sue Griffin, Brad’s mother, undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer.
– Katy and Peter Thompson (expectant parents, due 7/3).
– Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
Stats from Last Week:
Sunday Worship Attendance: 298
Weekly Contribution: $6,176.50
The Week Ahead:
Today/Tomorrow: Pepperdine Bible Lectures
Sunday, May 7: Worship Service (10:15am in Elkins)
Wednesday, May 10: Youth Group House Group at the Breedings (7pm)
– May 13: Graduation Desserts Celebration for our High School Seniors (more info below)
– May 21: Summer in Stauffer begins (more info below)
– May 23: Young Adult Game Night (more info below)
– May 26-28: All-Church Camping Trip (more info below)
– July 16-22: SoCal Teen Camp (more info below)
– July 30-August 5: King’s Kamp (more info below)
– August 27: Fall Kickoff Sunday!
Around 20 UCC members volunteered for “Late Night Breakfast” just before Seaver final exams!
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: email@example.com
– Facebook Page: facebook.com/groups/University.MalibuChurchofChrist
– Phone Number: 310.506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us
More Detailed Announcements:
– Graduation Desserts Celebration for our High School Seniors (May 13)! Please join Sarah Brand, Keaton Brewster, Justin Truschke, Taylor Mathews, Sam Burton, Nic Cupp, Dom Rouse, Jaime Le & Jesse Morgan and their families at the Le home (24349 Baxter Drive) for a graduation desserts celebration on Saturday, May 13, from 4pm to 7pm. RSVP via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
– Summer in Stauffer (starting May 21) We will move the location of our Sunday morning worship service and adult Bible class to Stauffer Chapel for the summer starting on May 21 and continuing through August 13 (with one exception on June 18 when we will be in Elkins). The summer sermon series is titled, “An Encouraging Word,” and will cover Hebrews. The adult class will complement the sermon series on Hebrews.
– Young Adult Game Night at the Sturgeons’ Condo (May 23): We had 26 folks attend the inaugural young adult get-together in April! Our second monthly get-together is another game night at the Sturgeons (24535 Mariposa Circle) at 6:30pm on Tuesday evening, May 23. The target audience is both married and unmarried young adults who have graduated from college but are not yet in the parenting crowd. The Sturgeons will provide Subway sandwich/cookies platters and drinks. Donations to offset the cost are accepted but not required!
– All-Church Camping Trip Update (May 26-28)! Please join us for a fun-filled weekend of nature and fellowship! The location has been changed to the Ventura Ranch KOA in Santa Paula, CA. Here is the registration form for fee information: Camping Registration Form. There is room for a maximum of 60 campers, so get your registration form in early to reserve your spot. You can register by submitting your completed registration form with payment to Jenny Parmelee.
– Summer Camp Registrations: (i) – SoCal Teen Camp is scheduled for July 16-22. Register at www.socalteencamp.org; (ii) King’s Kamp is a week-long Bible camp for boys and girls entering 4th through 8th grades in the fall of 2017. It is scheduled for July 30 through August 5 (http://www.kingskamp.org). Early bird registration cost will be $320 (if registered by June 1). Regular registration is $345 (by July 1), and late registration is $370. The cost for additional campers from the same family is $299 each. King’s Kamp is limited to the first 120 registrations.
– Benevolence Opportunities: The Benevolence Committee is extremely grateful for your generosity throughout the year! We were able to give over $45,000 last year to the organizations we support and to others in need throughout the year. Here are ongoing opportunities to serve those in need near us:
- SOS: (i) serve with your family any Thursday at MUMC at 6:15pm (our church serves on the 3rd Thursday of even months); (ii) monetary donations; (iii) donate supplies (e.g., tents, tarps, clothes, ponchos, toiletries, etc.).
- Manna Conejo Valley Food Bank: (i) monetary donations (http://mannaconejo.org/donate); (ii) donate supplies (most needed: eggs; toilet paper)—talk to Patty Atkisson to arrange a drop off or stop by when in Thousand Oaks.