Congratulations to Julia Held on her baptism on Easter Sunday!
This Sunday, we will take a moment to recognize those in our church assembly who are graduating from Seaver College as well as other colleges, graduate, and professional schools. Appropriately, Pepperdine’s acappella group, Won By One, will be leading our songs this Sunday as well!
Summer in Stauffer
We will move the location of our Sunday morning worship service and adult Bible class to Stauffer Chapel for the summer starting on May 21 and continuing through August 13 (with one exception on June 18 when we will be in Elkins). The summer sermon series is titled, “An Encouraging Word,” and will cover Hebrews. The adult class will complement the sermon series on Hebrews.
Standing on Stone (“SOS”)
Tonight is our congregation’s night to serve at the Standing on Stone (“SOS”) ministry to the homeless community at Malibu United Methodist Church. Dinner begins at 6:15pm, so setup will begin at 5:50pm and the food needs to arrive by 6:05pm. Please contact Katy Thompson with any questions.
Updates from the Benevolence Committee
We are extremely grateful for your generosity throughout the year! We were able to give over $45,000 last year to the organizations we support and to others in need throughout the year. Here are ongoing opportunities to serve those in need near us:
- SOS: (i) serve with your family any Thursday at MUMC at 6:15pm (our church serves on the 3rd Thursday of even months); (ii) monetary donations; (iii) donate supplies (e.g., tents, tarps, clothes, ponchos, toiletries, etc.).
- Manna Conejo Valley Food Bank: (i) monetary donations; (ii) donate supplies (most needed: eggs; toilet paper)—talk to Patty Atkisson to arrange a drop off or stop by when in Thousand Oaks.
Thank You Note
We received the following kind thank-you note in the office: “Dear University Church: We are grateful for all you did to facilitate a beautiful and fitting memorial for my mother, Frances. The reception you provided in the Fireside Room, the food, flowers, and setup were lovely, and the love and effort expended are appreciated. Frances loved her church family, and we are thankful for your expression of love for her. The Stivers family”
– Jo Kite and family, as Jo is now in hospice care.
– Ann Warford, for recovery from a hospital stay and ongoing health challenges.
– Carol Thompson and family, Ann Warford’s sister, in hospice care from her ALS condition.
– Sue Griffin, Brad’s mother, undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer.
– Katy and Peter Thompson (expectant parents, due 7/3).
– Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
Stats from Last Week:
Sunday Worship Attendance: 378
Weekly Contribution: $6,442.82
The Week Ahead:
Thursday, April 20: The Well (8pm): Amphitheater or Elkins Auditorium
Sunday, April 23: Bible Classes (9am):
- “The Remarkable Testimony of a Mysterious Witness: John 1-6” with John Wilson & Randy Chesnutt, Appleby Center 286 (ending on April 30)
- “Shelter from the Storm” with Regan and Robby Schaffer, Appleby Center 290 (ending on April 30)
- “Seek Wisdom: A Study of Proverbs” with Jim Gash, 24535 Mariposa Circle (ending on April 23)
- “Youth Group Bible Class with Dusty and Cecily Breeding, 24358 Baxter Drive
Sunday, April 23: Worship Service (10:15am in Elkins)
Wednesday, April 26: Youth Group House Group (7:00-8:30pm)
– April 29: Hope 4 Kids Festival & Run (more info below)
– May 2-5: Pepperdine Bible Lectures
– May 13: Graduation Desserts Celebration for our High School Seniors (more info below)
– May 21: Summer in Stauffer begins
– May 26-28: All-Church Camping Trip (more info below)
– August 27: Fall Kickoff Sunday!
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: email@example.com
– Facebook Page: facebook.com/groups/University.MalibuChurchofChrist
– Phone Number: 310.506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us
More Detailed Announcements:
– HOPE4Kids (April 29): The 5th annual HOPE4Kids Festival & Run will be held April 29, 8:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m., in Camarillo. The event serves to raise funds for foster youth and transitioning youth, as well as to raise awareness of the needs of foster youth and families. Join the University Church of Christ team to volunteer, run, or walk by registering here. Contact team captain Randy Coppinger for more team info. You can also come to the event just to enjoy the free KidZone, check out the vendor booths, eat at the food trucks, and bid at the Silent Auction. There are many ways to participate in this event, even if you can’t attend. Watch for some specific opportunities coming up soon. Most of all, please be in prayer for those whom the event intends to bless as well as for those volunteers working on the details to make this event happen.
– Graduation Desserts Celebration for our High School Seniors (May 13)! Please join Sarah Brand, Keaton Brewster, Justin Truschke, Taylor Mathews, Sam Burton, Nic Cupp, Dom Rouse, Jaime Le & Jesse Morgan and their families at the Le home (24349 Baxter Drive) for a graduation desserts celebration on Saturday, May 13, from 4pm to 7pm. RSVP via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
– All-Church Camping Trip Update (May 26-28)! Please join us for a fun-filled weekend of nature and fellowship! The location has been changed to the Ventura Ranch KOA in Santa Paula, CA. Click on the link below for the registration form for fee information. There is room for a maximum of 60 campers, so get your registration form in early to reserve your spot. You can register by submitting your completed registration form with payment to Jenny Parmelee.
– Worship (all): Click HERE to share your willingness to serve in our Sunday worship.
– Request: The Pepperdine Bible Lectures team is in need of empty toilet paper rolls for one of the Making Waves children’s activities. If you have any available, please provide them to the Office of Church Relations before May. You can also reach them at (310) 506-4270.
From last weekend’s Campus Ministry Formal!