Washing of the Feet by John August Swanson
On this Maundy Thursday, I share the following quote from Philip Yancey:
Jesus gave us a model for the work of the church at the Last Supper. While his disciples kept proposing more organization – Hey, let’s elect officers, establish hierarchy, set standards of professionalism – Jesus quietly picked up a towel and basin of water and began to wash their feet.
Special Easter Sunday!
Don’t miss out on worship this Easter Sunday, and invite your friends! This is my ninth year at the University Church of Christ, and I anticipate that the end of this Easter Sunday service will make it my favorite service ending ever!
Children’s Easter Egg Hunt!
On Easter morning at 9am, the children should meet in Plaza Classroom 191 with an Easter Basket and two dozen plastic eggs (filled with candy/Cheerios/Goldfish) for a special Easter lesson. Also at 9am, the youth group members will hide the eggs around Elkins Auditorium. At 9:30am, the children will be dismissed for the hunt!
Easter Monday Celebration!
Come worship this Monday at Pepperdine’s Easter Monday service to celebrate the resurrected Christ as a community through listening and reflection. There is a communal worship service from 8:30 to 9 am in Stauffer Chapel, led by Eric Wilson and Al Sturgeon. In addition, all are invited to come and go between 9 am to 1 pm to listen, pray, and reflect, and place fresh flowers on a large wooden cross to signify new life. Various musicians will play worshipful instrumental music for 30-minute increments from 9:00am to 1:00pm. The music played is not meant to be a performance, but an offering of talents to the risen King as people from the community meditate, reflect, and celebrate the good news of the resurrection.
Check out this great article about youth group member,
Justin Truschke, in this week’s Malibu Surfside News!
– Jo Kite and family, as Jo is now in hospice care.
– Ann Warford, for recovery from a hospital stay and ongoing health challenges.
– Carol Thompson and family, Ann Warford’s sister, in hospice care from her ALS condition.
– Sue Griffin, Brad’s mother, facing surgery on April 14 and undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer.
– Katy and Peter Thompson (expectant parents, due 7/3).
– Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
Stats from Last Week:
Sunday Worship Attendance: 240
Weekly Contribution: $8,277.07
The Week Ahead:
Thursday, April 13: The Well (8pm): Amphitheater or Elkins Auditorium
Friday, April 14: Youth Group Senior Night (meet at the Breedings at 6pm)
Saturday, April 15: Campus Ministry Formal (7pm at the Lacrosse Field)
Sunday, April 16: Bible Classes (9am) & Children’s Easter Egg Hunt!
- “The Remarkable Testimony of a Mysterious Witness: John 1-6” with John Wilson & Randy Chesnutt, Appleby Center 286 (ending on April 30)
- “Shelter from the Storm” with Regan and Robby Schaffer, Appleby Center 290 (ending on April 30)
- “Seek Wisdom: A Study of Proverbs” with Jim Gash, 24535 Mariposa Circle (ending on April 23)
- “Youth Group Bible Class” with Dusty and Cecily Breeding, 24358 Baxter Drive
Sunday, April 16: Worship Service (10:15am in Elkins)
Sunday, April 16: Sunset Worship at Ralph’s Beach with CM (6pm)
Tuesday, April 18: Young Adult Game Night at the Sturgeons (more info below)
Wednesday, April 19: Youth Group House Group (7:00-8:30pm)
– April 20: SOS Serving the Homeless
– April 29: Hope 4 Kids Festival & Run (more info below)
– May 2-5: Pepperdine Bible Lectures
– May 26-28: All-Church Camping Trip (see note below)
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: email@example.com
– Facebook Page: facebook.com/groups/University.MalibuChurchofChrist
– Phone Number: 310.506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us
More Detailed Announcements:
– Young Adult Game Night at the Sturgeons’ Condo (April 18): The first monthly young adult get-together will be a game night at the Sturgeons (24535 Mariposa Circle) at 6:30pm on Tuesday evening, April 18. The target audience is both married and unmarried young adults who have graduated from college but are not yet in the parenting crowd. The Sturgeons will provide Subway sandwich/cookies platters and drinks. Donations to offset the cost are accepted but not required!
– HOPE4Kids (April 29): The 5th annual HOPE4Kids Festival & Run will be held April 29, 8:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m., in Camarillo. The event serves to raise funds for foster youth and transitioning youth, as well as to raise awareness of the needs of foster youth and families. Join the University Church of Christ team to volunteer, run, or walk by registering here. Contact team captain Randy Coppinger for more team info. You can also come to the event just to enjoy the free KidZone, check out the vendor booths, eat at the food trucks, and bid at the Silent Auction. There are many ways to participate in this event, even if you can’t attend. Watch for some specific opportunities coming up soon. Most of all, please be in prayer for those whom the event intends to bless as well as for those volunteers working on the details to make this event happen.
– All-Church Camping Trip Update (May 26-28)! Please join us for a fun-filled weekend of nature and fellowship! The location has been changed to the Ventura Ranch KOA in Santa Paula, CA. Click HERE for the registration form for fee information. There is room for a maximum of 60 campers, so get your registration form in early to reserve your spot. You can register by submitting your completed registration form with payment to Jenny Parmelee.
– Worship (all): Click HERE to share your willingness to serve in our Sunday worship.
– Request: The Pepperdine Bible Lectures team is in need of empty toilet paper rolls for one of the Making Waves children’s activities. If you have any available, please provide them to the Office of Church Relations before May. You can also reach them at (310) 506-4270.
Church Potluck with MITS Last Sunday