The MITS travel team with Dusty & Cecily
Special Palm Sunday with MITS
We are honored to welcome back to Malibu this weekend three members of the Made in the Streets (Kenya) team: Francis Mbuvi, Administrator and preacher for the Kamulu Church of Christ; Moses Okoth, Skills Training Supervisor; and Brad Voss, Executive Director.
- At 9am, our adult and teen classes will combine to hear from the MITS team in AC 290.
- At 10:15, Moses Okoth will lead our prayer during a special Palm Sunday service. I will also invite Francis Mbuvi to share his amazing story during my sermon. And, at the end of the service, our friends from MITS will teach us a worship song in Swahili!
- After morning worship, all interested in MITS are invited to bring food and enjoy a potluck meal with the staff members at the Sturgeons’ condo (24535 Mariposa Circle). Contact Jody Sturgeon with any questions about the potluck.
Update on the Colby Family!
Janet Davis shared a report on Kerry, Jessi, and Niko Colby, a young family that the church helped get off the streets three years ago. Jessi sent Janet a note of thanks recently, remembering all the church had done for them. It was accompanied by a current photo of Niko in the sleeping bags the church gave them when they were homeless.
Jessi’s note: “Found where we started here in California ♡ we have come a long way it seems, and a long way to go. I thank God often for the help you and the church have given us to aid in our progress. I have so much to say but I am beyond words at this point. Beyond grateful. Beyond humble and undeserving. I am going to miss you so much.”
But most importantly Jessi was baptized on Monday morning by Rich Little in the Baxter Jacuzzi!!!
Missions Contribution Update & Reminder!
We have now topped $30,000! But there is still time to contribute to our annual missions contribution. We will announce a final number on Easter Sunday on April 16!
Susan Giboney received the following update from our missionary, Igor Egirev, following the bombing in St. Petersburg, Russia, this week: “We are safe. We are trying to get in touch with all our friends to see if nobody was affected. It seems like all people that we know are fine too. Thank you for your prayers. Eliyah, my 14 year old son, was planning to go to the city center to visit with his Christian friends, but he stayed home because he didn’t feel well. He could have been there otherwise. We thank God for keeping us. Send our love to brethren. Grace and peace, Igor”
– Jo Kite and family, as Jo is now in hospice care.
– Ann Warford, for recovery from a hospital stay and ongoing health challenges.
– Carol Thompson and family, Ann Warford’s sister, in hospice care from her ALS condition.
– Sue Griffin, Brad’s mother: (i) no more flare-ups with kidney stones between now and surgery on April 20; (ii) rest; and (iii) no more infections while her immune system is compromised from the chemotherapy.
– Katy and Peter Thompson (expectant parents, due 7/3).
– Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
Stats from Last Week:
Sunday Worship Attendance: 247
Weekly Contribution: $6,053.64
The Week Ahead:
Thursday, April 6: The Well (8pm): Amphitheater or Elkins Auditorium
Sunday, April 9: Bible Classes (9am) & Worship Service (10:15am in Elkins):
- 9am: Combined Adult/Teen class with MITS staff in AC 290.
- 10:15am: Worship in Elkins Auditorium.
- Noon: Potluck at the Sturgeons with MITS staff.
- Youth Group Beach Day
Sunday, April 9: “Revive” (8:30pm) in Stauffer Chapel — a new CM worship experience!
Wednesday, April 12: Youth Group House Group (7:00-8:30pm)
– April 14: Youth Group Senior Night at the Breedings.
– April 15: Campus Ministry Formal
– April 16: Easter Sunday!
– April 18: Young Adult Game Night at the Sturgeons (more info below)
– April 20: SOS Serving the Homeless
– April 29: Hope 4 Kids Festival & Run (more info below)
– May 2-5: Pepperdine Bible Lectures
– May 26-28: All-Church Camping Trip (see note below)
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: email@example.com
– Facebook Page: facebook.com/groups/University.MalibuChurchofChrist
– Phone Number: 310.506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us
More Detailed Announcements:
– Young Adult Game Night at the Sturgeons’ Condo (April 18): The first monthly young adult get-together will be a game night at the Sturgeons (24535 Mariposa Circle) at 6:30pm on Tuesday evening, April 18. The target audience is both married and unmarried young adults who have graduated from college but are not yet in the parenting crowd. The Sturgeons will provide Subway sandwich/cookies platters and drinks. Donations to offset the cost are accepted but not required!
– HOPE4Kids (April 29): The 5th annual HOPE4Kids Festival & Run will be held April 29, 8:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m., in Camarillo. The event serves to raise funds for foster youth and transitioning youth, as well as to raise awareness of the needs of foster youth and families. Join the University Church of Christ team to volunteer, run, or walk by registering here. Contact team captain Randy Coppinger for more team info. You can also come to the event just to enjoy the free KidZone, check out the vendor booths, eat at the food trucks, and bid at the Silent Auction. There are many ways to participate in this event, even if you can’t attend. Watch for some specific opportunities coming up soon. Most of all, please be in prayer for those whom the event intends to bless as well as for those volunteers working on the details to make this event happen.
– All-Church Camping Trip Update (May 26-28)! Please join us for a fun-filled weekend of nature and fellowship! The location has been changed to the Ventura Ranch KOA in Santa Paula, CA. The link to the registration form is below. There is room for a maximum of 60 campers, so get your registration form in early to reserve your spot. You can register by submitting your completed registration form with payment to Jenny Parmelee.
– Worship (all): Click HERE to share your willingness to serve in our Sunday worship.
– Request: The Pepperdine Bible Lectures team is in need of empty toilet paper rolls for one of the Making Waves children’s activities. If you have any available, please provide them to the Office of Church Relations before May. You can also reach them at (310) 506-4270.