Which of the following is the real story behind the picture above?
a. What an elder looks like after teaching arts & crafts to preschool children.
b. Rare ancient photograph of Joseph and his coat of many colors after a scuffle with his brothers;
c. Jim Gash after trying to open a child-proof package of Crayola markers.
d. Jim Gash at a Holi festival in India on a trip to promote global justice.
Missions Month Continues:
The annual missions contribution is just over a week away! Please continue to plan toward our collection on Sunday, March 26.
A memorial service for Frances Stivers is scheduled at 2pm on Sunday, March 26, in Stauffer Chapel. A reception will follow in the Fireside Room at 3pm. Please mark your calendars for this opportunity to share our love with the Stivers family.
New Prayer Requests:
– Ann Warford spent several days in the UCLA hospital after experiencing weight loss and extreme weakness. She was discharged on Tuesday evening. Please keep the Warfords in your prayers.
– Carol Thompson, Ann Warford’s sister, is being put on hospice care from her ALS condition. Carol lives in Visalia. Please pray for her and her family.
– Frances Stivers and family, as they grieve her loss and celebrate her life.
– Love family, in thanksgiving for the birth of Eden. Care calendar: Click HERE.
– Sue Griffin, Brad Griffin’s mother, who is undergoing chemo for breast cancer.
– Katy and Peter Thompson (expectant parents, due 7/3).
– Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia), and Ruth and Ati Levai (Hungary); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
Stats from Last Week:
Sunday Worship Attendance: 299
Weekly Contribution: $11,461
The Week Ahead:
Thursday, March 16: The Well (8pm): Amphitheater or Elkins Auditorium
Friday-Sunday, March 17-19: Youth Group Winter Retreat at Big Bear
Sunday, March 19: 9am Bible Classes (see list below); 10:15am Worship Service (Elkins Auditorium):
- “The Remarkable Testimony of a Mysterious Witness: John 1-6” with John Wilson & Randy Chesnutt, Appleby Center 286
- “Shelter from the Storm” with Regan and Robby Schaffer, Appleby Center 290
- “Seek Wisdom: A Study of Proverbs” with Jim Gash, 24535 Mariposa Circle
- “Preparing for Marriage” with Susan Giboney, Appleby Center 270
- “Old Testament Character Study” with UCC Youth Group and Dusty and Cecily Breeding, 24358 Baxter Drive
Wednesday, March 22: Youth Group House Group (7:00-8:30pm)
– March 25: UCC Ladies’ Day Retreat (more info below)
– March 26: (i) Annual Missions Contribution; (ii) Memorial Service for Frances Stivers (2pm: Stauffer Chapel); (iii) Senior Sunday: 6-8pm at the Brock House (more info below)
– April 1: Campus Ministry Formal
– April 20: SOS Serving the Homeless
– April 29: Hope 4 Kids Festival & Run (more info below)
– May 2-5: Pepperdine Bible Lectures
– May 26-28: All-Church Camping Trip (more info below)
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Facebook Page: facebook.com/groups/University.MalibuChurchofChrist
– Phone Number: 506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us
More Detailed Announcements:
– UCC Ladies’ Day (March 25): We will retreat on Saturday, March 25, at Courtney Caron’s home on the Malibu campus, and Charlene Underhill Miller will be our speaker. The theme for the day is “Becoming First Responders: Creating Caring Skills for Community.” The official programming will last from about 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., with optional activities before and after (more information to come). The cost is $30 (or $25 if you’re a student) and includes breakfast and a delicious, catered lunch. Email Kari Coppinger with registration questions.
– Senior Sunday (March 26): Senior Sunday is for seniors at Seaver College and is graciously hosted at the Brock House by Andy & Debby Benton. Senior Sunday on March 26 is scheduled from 6pm to 8pm and is a special etiquette dinner, so an RSVP is a must. Please RSVP to Linda Truschke.
– HOPE4Kids (April 29): The 5th annual HOPE4Kids Festival & Run will be held April 29, 8:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m., in Camarillo. The event serves to raise funds for foster youth and transitioning youth, as well as to raise awareness of the needs of foster youth and families. Join the University Church of Christ team to volunteer, run, or walk by registering here. Contact team captain Randy Coppinger for more team info. You can also come to the event just to enjoy the free KidZone, check out the vendor booths, eat at the food trucks, and bid at the Silent Auction. There are many ways to participate in this event, even if you can’t attend. Watch for some specific opportunities coming up soon. Most of all, please be in prayer for those whom the event intends to bless as well as for those volunteers working on the details to make this event happen.
– All-Church Camping Trip (May 26-28): Save the date for our all-church camping trip coming up Memorial Day Weekend (May 26 – 28) at the Wheeler Gorge Campground in Ojai. All ages are welcome! Non-campers welcome, too, since motels are available in the surrounding area. Additional details to be provided in the coming weeks. For any immediate questions, please contact Jenny Parmelee or Stacy Rouse.
– Worship: Click HERE to share your willingness to serve in our Sunday worship service.