Dusty speaking to the CM interns at “Source” in their first meeting post-spring break
A Special University Church Invitation for this Sunday, March 12
(a special poem by the prolific poet, Anonymous)
Now that Elder Sturgeon has left School of Law land
And begun his new role as our main preacher man,
Let’s celebrate with a meal together: a catered affair
With ample food and drink provided for us there.
So right after service, head straight for the Sandbar.
Relax and enjoy the fellowship before the week’s wars.
And as for what to call our elder/preacher pal,
To paraphrase Paul Simon, you can call him “Al.”
Condolences to the Stivers Family:
We received word that our sister, Frances Stivers, passed away on Tuesday, March 7. There are no details yet concerning a memorial service or specific ways to serve the family. Please pray for the Stivers family during this time of loss.
Announcement from the Elders:
“After discussion and consideration of feedback from our congregation, the elders have decided it is best for Al Sturgeon to remain as an elder at this time. Though Al is our full time minister, his voice and continued partnership in the eldership are needed at this time. In moments when there might be the perception of a conflict of interest for Al on particular issues, he will not participate in those decisions. The elders are thankful for your feedback on this issue.” – The Elders
Daylight Savings Time Begins
Spring “forward” this Saturday night by setting your clocks forward one hour before going to bed. If you forget, you will miss our great Bible classes and just show up in time for the worship service!
Congratulations to Paul Caron who was named Dean of Pepperdine Law School, effective June 1. Please keep Paul & Courtney in prayer for this new leadership opportunity!
– Frances Stivers’s family, as they grieve her loss and celebrate her life.
– Laura Fehlbaum and family, on the loss of Laura’s granddaddy.
– Calderon family, recovering from a car crash and mourning the loss of Erin’s grandfather.
– Love family, in thanksgiving for the birth of Eden. Care calendar: Click HERE.
– Sue Griffin, Brad Griffin’s mother, who is undergoing chemo for breast cancer.
– Katy and Peter Thompson (expectant parents, due 7/3).
– Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia), and Ruth and Ati Levai (Hungary); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
Stats from Last Week:
Sunday Worship Attendance: 292
Weekly Contribution: $9,880.75
The Week Ahead:
Sunday, March 12: Bible Classes (9am):
- “The Remarkable Testimony of a Mysterious Witness: John 1-6” with John Wilson & Randy Chesnutt, Appleby Center 286
- “Shelter from the Storm” with Regan and Robby Schaffer, Appleby Center 290
- “Seek Wisdom: A Study of Proverbs” with Jim Gash, 24535 Mariposa Circle
- “Preparing for Marriage” with Susan Giboney, Appleby Center 270
- “Old Testament Character Study” with UCC Youth Group and Dusty and Cecily Breeding, 24358 Baxter Drive
Sunday, March 12: Worship Assembly (10:15am): Sermon title: “Beginning in the Middle”
Sunday, March 12: All-Church Potluck (following the worship assembly): Sandbar & Patio
Wednesday, March 15: Youth Group House Group (7:00-8:30pm)
Thursday, March 16: “The Well” (8pm)
– March 17-19: Youth Group Winter Retreat at Big Bear (more info below)
– March 25: UCC Ladies’ Day Retreat (more info below)
– March 26: (i) Annual Missions Contribution (more info below); (ii) Senior Sunday: 6-8pm at the Brock House (more info below)
– April 20: SOS Serving the Homeless
– April 29: Hope 4 Kids Festival & Run (more info below)
– May 2-5: Pepperdine Bible Lectures
– May 26-28: All-Church Camping Trip (more info below)
– Worship (all): Click HERE to share your willingness to serve in our Sunday worship.
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: email@example.com
– Facebook Page: facebook.com/groups/University.MalibuChurchofChrist
– Phone Number: 506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us
More Detailed Announcements:
– Youth Group Winter Retreat (March 17-19): The winter retreat is coming up March 17-19! Time to break out those skies and snowboards as we will head back up to Big Bear resort. This is one of the best times of the year and we would love to see everyone there shredding the slopes! Our theme for the trip is “How will you spend your dash?” based on a poem by Linda Ellis. The cost is $145 for the weekend not including rentals. Please email Rachael to RSVP so we can start putting together carpools and room assignments.
– UCC Ladies’ Day Retreat (March 25): We will retreat on Saturday, March 25, at Courtney Caron’s home on the Malibu campus, and Charlene Underhill Miller will be our speaker. The theme for the day is “Becoming First Responders: Creating Caring Skills for Community.” The official programming will last from about 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., with optional activities before and after (more information to come). The cost is $30 (or $25 if you’re a student) and includes breakfast and a delicious, catered lunch. Register at church over the next few Sundays. (If you would like to register but will not be at church in the next few weeks, email Kari Coppinger for a registration form.)
– Annual Missions Contribution (March 26): The annual missions contribution is set for Sunday, March 26. Starting on March 5, our various missions efforts will be highlighted in each week’s Sunday worship assembly. Please be planning ahead for the annual collection.
– Senior Sunday (March 26): Senior Sunday is for seniors at Seaver College and is graciously hosted at the Brock House by Andy & Debby Benton. Senior Sunday on March 26 is scheduled from 6pm to 8pm and is a special etiquette dinner, so an RSVP is a must. Please RSVP to Linda Truschke.
– HOPE4Kids (April 29): The 5th annual HOPE4Kids Festival & Run will be held April 29, 8:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m., in Camarillo. The event serves to raise funds for foster youth and transitioning youth, as well as to raise awareness of the needs of foster youth and families. Join the University Church of Christ team to volunteer, run, or walk by registering here. Contact team captain Randy Coppinger for more team info. You can also come to the event just to enjoy the free KidZone, check out the vendor booths, eat at the food trucks, and bid at the Silent Auction. There are many ways to participate in this event, even if you can’t attend. Watch for some specific opportunities coming up soon. Most of all, please be in prayer for those whom the event intends to bless as well as for those volunteers working on the details to make this event happen.
– All-Church Camping Trip (May 26-28): Save the date for our all-church camping trip coming up Memorial Day Weekend (May 26 – 28) at the Wheeler Gorge Campground in Ojai. All ages are welcome! Non-campers welcome, too, since motels are available in the surrounding area. Additional details to be provided in the coming weeks. For any immediate questions, please contact Jenny Parmelee or Stacy Rouse.