Annie Little in Malawi (in honor of UCC March Missions Month!)
Invite Your Friends!
I am so excited to begin work as your new full-time preaching minister and am putting the finishing touches on my sermon for Sunday. This time of new beginnings may be a perfect time to invite friends to join us for worship—so please do! In addition, as new faces arrive, please look for opportunities to welcome and get to know our guests.
Jody and I want to thank everyone who helped us move last weekend—especially the children who came and worked so hard alongside their parents! We appreciate your time, muscles, smiles, and yummy food. And we appreciate the prayers and words of encouragement from so many during this time of transition. We can’t wait to host many more of you in our new home!
And a special thank you to Laura Fehlbaum for her wonderful work in establishing our church blog and her faithful service in sending the weekly email announcements. Laura served in this role with joy—and I am honored to give her some much-needed relief! Starting now, email your announcements and updates to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Laura Fehlbaum and family, on the loss of Laura’s granddaddy.
– Calderon family, recovering from a car crash and mourning the loss of Erin’s grandfather. Care calendar: Click HERE (plus 7773 security code).
– Love family, in thanksgiving for the birth of Eden. Care calendar: Click HERE.
– Mike James (Bernie and Connie’s son) who is now out of the hospital and recovering. Contact Al Sturgeon if interested in visiting Mike.
– Sue Griffin, Brad Griffin’s mother, who is undergoing chemo for breast cancer.
– Katy and Peter Thompson (expectant parents, due 7/3).
– Missionaries: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia), and Ruth and Ati Levai (Hungary); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras).
The Week Ahead:
Sunday, March 5: Bible Classes (9am):
- “The Remarkable Testimony of a Mysterious Witness: John 1-6” with John Wilson & Randy Chesnutt, Appleby Center 286
- “Shelter from the Storm” with Regan and Robby Schaffer, Appleby Center 290
- “Seek Wisdom: A Study of Proverbs” with Jim Gash, 24535 Mariposa Circle
- “Preparing for Marriage” with Susan Giboney, Appleby Center 270
- “Old Testament Character Study” with UCC Youth Group and Dusty and Cecily Breeding, 24358 Baxter Drive
Sunday, March 5: Worship Assembly (10:15am): Sermon title: “From Death to Life”
Wednesday, March 8: Youth Group House Group (7:00-8:30pm).
– March 10: Messy Game Night (Youth Group!): 6pm at Alumni Park
– March 12: (i) Daylight Savings Time Begins (set clocks forward one hour on Saturday night!); (ii) All-Church Potluck: Sandbar/Patio (more info coming soon!).
– March 17-19: Youth Group Winter Retreat at Big Bear (more info below)
– March 25: UCC Ladies’ Day Retreat (more info below)
– March 26: (i) Annual Missions Contribution (more info below); (ii) Senior Sunday: 6-8pm at the Brock House (more info below)
– April 20: SOS Serving the Homeless
– April 29: Hope 4 Kids Festival & Run (more info below)
– May 2-5: Pepperdine Bible Lectures
– May 26-28: All-Church Camping Trip (more info below)
– Worship (all): Click HERE to share your willingness to serve in our Sunday worship.
– High School Seniors: The Passage. We are excited to announce a new annual experience for high school seniors who are actively involved in the UCC Youth Group. The Passage exists to create a space for intentional conversations about topics related to this time of transition. This year we will spend approximately one-week trekking across Alaska, led by Dusty and Cecily and a mentor couple, Robin and Cindy Perrin. If you’re a senior actively involved in our youth group and would like to be involved, contact Dusty for more info!
UCC Contact Information / Social Media:
– Blog: uccfamilynews.wordpress.com
– Email: email@example.com
– Facebook Page: facebook.com/groups/University.MalibuChurchofChrist
– Phone Number: 506.4504
– Website: universitychurchofchrist.us
More Detailed Announcements:
– Youth Group Winter Retreat (March 17-19): The winter retreat is coming up March 17-19! Time to break out those skies and snowboards as we will head back up to Big Bear resort. This is one of the best times of the year and we would love to see everyone there shredding the slopes! Our theme for the trip is “How will you spend your dash?” based on a poem by Linda Ellis. The cost is $145 for the weekend not including rentals. Please email Rachael to RSVP so we can start putting together carpools and room assignments.
– UCC Ladies’ Day Retreat (March 25): We will retreat on Saturday, March 25, at Courtney Caron’s home on the Malibu campus, and Charlene Underhill Miller will be our speaker. The theme for the day is “Becoming First Responders: Creating Caring Skills for Community.” The official programming will last from about 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., with optional activities before and after (more information to come). The cost is $30 (or $25 if you’re a student) and includes breakfast and a delicious, catered lunch. Register at church over the next few Sundays. (If you would like to register but will not be at church in the next few weeks, email Kari Coppinger for a registration form.)
– Annual Missions Contribution (March 26): The annual missions contribution is set for Sunday, March 26. Starting on March 5, our various missions efforts will be highlighted in each week’s Sunday worship assembly. Please be planning ahead for the annual collection.
– Senior Sunday (March 26): Senior Sunday is for seniors at Seaver College and is graciously hosted at the Brock House by Andy & Debby Benton. Senior Sunday on March 26 is scheduled from 6pm to 8pm and is a special etiquette dinner, so an RSVP is a must. Please RSVP to Linda Truschke.
– HOPE4Kids (April 29): The 5th annual HOPE4Kids Festival & Run will be held April 29, 8:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m., in Camarillo. The event serves to raise funds for foster youth and transitioning youth, as well as to raise awareness of the needs of foster youth and families. Join the University Church of Christ team to volunteer, run, or walk by registering here. Contact team captain Randy Coppinger for more team info. You can also come to the event just to enjoy the free KidZone, check out the vendor booths, eat at the food trucks, and bid at the Silent Auction. There are many ways to participate in this event, even if you can’t attend. Watch for some specific opportunities coming up soon. Most of all, please be in prayer for those whom the event intends to bless as well as for those volunteers working on the details to make this event happen.
– All-Church Camping Trip (May 26-28): Save the date for our all-church camping trip coming up Memorial Day Weekend (May 26 – 28) at the Wheeler Gorge Campground in Ojai. All ages are welcome! Non-campers welcome, too, since motels are available in the surrounding area. Additional details to be provided in the coming weeks. For any immediate questions, please contact Jenny Parmelee or Stacy Rouse.
Marty Highfield in Haiti (in honor of UCC March Missions Month!)