Hello, Church Family!
“On the day that the tabernacle was set up, the cloud covered the tabernacle, the tent of the testimony. And at evening it was over the tabernacle like the appearance of fire until morning. So it was always: the cloud covered it by day and the appearance of fire by night. And whenever the cloud lifted from over the tent, after that the people of Israel set out, and in the place where the cloud settled down, there the people of Israel camped. At the command of the Lord the people of Israel set out, and at the command of the Lord they camped. As long as the cloud rested over the tabernacle, they remained in camp. Even when the cloud continued over the tabernacle many days, the people of Israel kept the charge of the Lord and did not set out.”
I sometimes wish we had clouds to direct us on when to stay and when to go. I guess, in Los Angeles at least, we kind of do since a cloudy/rainy day can be our equivalent to a snow day—complete with school closings. Even though we don’t have a tabernacle to look to for a physical sign, I pray that we will all still seek God’s direction for our lives, waiting for His commands to move.
- Mike James (Bernie and Connie’s son) who is in the hospital
- Sue Griffin, Brad Griffin’s mother, who is undergoing chemo for breast cancer
- Judy Anders, former UCC member (and widow of former preacher Dan Anders), who is tolerating the treatments for lung cancer very well and thanks us for praying
- Neil Casey for his work in the Peace Corps overseas in Georgia
- Expectant Parents: Haley and Zach Love (due 2/22), and Katy and Peter Thompson (due 7/3)
- The missionaries we support: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia), and Ruth and Ati Levai (Hungary); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras)
Events At A Glance
- TONIGHT, February 16: SOS Serving the Homeless
- February 17-19: Campus Ministry Retreat at the Salvation Army Camp
- April 20: SOS Serving the Homeless
- March 17-19: Youth Group Winter Retreat at Big Bear
- March 25: UCC Ladies’ Day Retreat
- March 26: Annual Missions’ Contribution
- May 2-5: Pepperdine Bible Lectures
- May 26-28: All-Church Camping Trip
We want you! — One of the joys of worshiping at the University Church of Christ on Sunday morning is hearing from many members of our church family during the service. If you are especially willing to be asked, please fill out this brief survey.
UCC Ladies’ Day Retreat — March 25 — We will retreat on Saturday, March 25, at Courtney Caron’s home on the Malibu campus, and Charlene Underhill Miller will be our speaker. The schedule and the price will be finalized by Sunday when registration will open. If you would like to register but will not be at church in the next few weeks, email Kari Coppinger for a registration form.
HOPE4Kids — The 5th annual HOPE4Kids Festival & Run will be held April 29, 8:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m., in Camarillo. The event serves to raise funds for foster youth and transitioning youth, as well as to raise awareness of the needs of foster youth and families. Join the University Church of Christ team to volunteer, run, or walk by registering here. Contact team captain Randy Coppinger for more team info. You can also come to the event just to enjoy the free KidZone, check out the vendor booths, eat at the food trucks, and bid at the Silent Auction.
Spiritual Rhythms — This year’s Pepperdine Bible Lectures theme of Spiritual Rhythms: Scrolls for Robust Salvation focuses on the Megilloth, the “five scrolls” of Song of Songs, Ruth, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, and Esther. Join us May 2-5, 2017, as we learn how these books bring wholeness to our daily lives. Click here to learn more and register.
Spring Bible Classes — Sundays at 9:00 a.m. —
- “The Remarkable Testimony of a Mysterious Witness: John 1-6” with John Wilson & Randy Chesnutt, Appleby Center 286
- “Shelter from the Storm” with Regan and Robby Shaffer, Appleby Center 290
- “Seek Wisdom: A Study of Proverbs” with Al Sturgeon, 24508 Mariposa Circle
- “Preparing for Marriage” with Susan Giboney, Appleby Center 270
- “Old Testament Character Study” with UCC Youth Group and Dusty and Cecily Breeding, 24358 Baxter Drive
Youth Group Updates —
- February 17, all house groups are invited to attend the Campus Ministry retreat at the Salvation Army Campground. Our very own Lee Morgan will be cooking a delicious Italian meal and has requested some help in the kitchen. If your son or daughter is interested and willing to help out please contact Lee Morgan.
- Youth Group House Group: weekly gathering on Wednesdays from 7:00-8:30 p.m. A great time to share a meal and connect over Scripture. This semester, we are working through a study called “24/7” which seeks to make connections between Scripture and some of the things that come up in the real world on a daily basis.
- On Sunday mornings during Bible class, we’re surveying the Old Testament through the eyes of 13 different Biblical characters. Their stories will draw us into the arc of the story between God and Israel.
- The winter retreat is coming up March 17-19! Time to break out those skies and snowboards as we will head back up to Big Bear resort. This is one of the best times of the year and we would love to see everyone there shredding the slopes! Our theme for the trip is “How will you spend your dash?” based on a poem by Linda Ellis. The cost is $145 for the weekend not including rentals. Please email Rachael to RSVP so we can start putting together carpools and room assignments.