Hello, Church Family!
“You go where you’re sent, and you stay where you’re put, and you give what you’ve got until you’re done.”
I loved getting to attend “IF: Gathering 2017” last weekend, and my favorite speaker by far was Jill Briscoe. If you have time, Google her and be inspired in your walk with the Lord!
- Mike James (Bernie and Connie’s son) who is in the hospital
- Sue Griffin, Brad Griffin’s mother, who is undergoing chemo for breast cancer
- Judy Anders, former UCC member (and widow of former preacher Dan Anders), who has been diagnosed with lung cancer
- Neil Casey for his work in the Peace Corps overseas in Georgia
- Expectant Parents: Haley and Zach Love (due 2/22), and Katy and Peter Thompson (due 7/3)
- The missionaries we support: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia), and Ruth and Ati Levai (Hungary); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras)
Events At A Glance
- February 11-12: Youth Group Influencers Trip
- February 16: SOS Serving the Homeless
- February 17-19: Campus Ministry Retreat at the Salvation Army Camp
- April 20: SOS Serving the Homeless
- March 17-19: Youth Group Winter Retreat at Big Bear
- March 25: UCC Ladies’ Day Retreat
- March 26: Annual Missions’ Contribution
- May 2-5: Pepperdine Bible Lectures
- May 26-28: All-Church Camping Trip
UCC Minister Search Update — Al Sturgeon will be our new preacher starting in March! As verbally announced on Sunday, you are invited to communicate with the elders in person, via phone, text, or e-mail, by this upcoming Saturday, February 11, about your feelings about Al serving as both preacher and elder for a time. This is not simply a formality – they want to hear from you before a final decision is made. Thank you for prayerfully providing your feedback if you have not already done so.
Have you experienced it? — Pepperdine Bible Lectures is about more than just classes. It’s fellowship with other believers, deep discussions, excursions through God’s creation, heartfelt praise, and soul-filling rejuvenation. We’re strengthening the bonds of Christ. If you haven’t attended before, this is your year! Join us May 2-5, 2017, right here on campus in Malibu! Visit http://www.pepperdine.edu/biblelectures.
All-Church Camping Trip — Save the date for our all-church camping trip coming up Memorial Day Weekend (May 26 – 28) at the Wheeler Gorge Campground in Ojai. All ages are welcome! Non-campers welcome, too, since motels are available in the surrounding area. Additional details to be provided in the coming weeks. For any immediate questions, please contact Jenny Parmelee or Stacy Rouse.
UCC Ladies’ Day Retreat — March 25 — Ladies, please hold March 25 on your calendar for our one-day ladies’ retreat happening in or near Malibu. If you are interested in helping plan, contact Kari Coppinger.
Spring Bible Classes — Sundays at 9:00 a.m. —
- “The Remarkable Testimony of a Mysterious Witness: John 1-6” with John Wilson & Randy Chesnutt, Appleby Center 286
- “Shelter from the Storm” with Regan and Robby Shaffer, Appleby Center 290
- “Seek Wisdom: A Study of Proverbs” with Al Sturgeon, 24508 Mariposa Circle
- “Preparing for Marriage” with Susan Giboney, Appleby Center 270
- “Old Testament Character Study” with UCC Youth Group and Dusty and Cecily Breeding, 24358 Baxter Drive
Youth Group Updates —
- Youth Group House Group: weekly gathering on Wednesdays from 7:00-8:30 p.m. A great time to share a meal and connect over Scripture. This semester, we will work through a study called “24/7” which seeks to make connections between Scripture and some of the things that come up in the real world on a daily basis.
- On Sunday mornings during Bible class, we’ll be kicking off a semester-long survey of the Old Testament through the eyes of 13 different Biblical characters. Their stories will draw us into the arc of the story between God and Israel.
- RSVP by tomorrow! Influencers: a new overnight experience will be launching this spring. This gathering will be a missional opportunity for students to invite their friends to connect with our youth group in a fun environment. The experience will be geared towards acknowledging that we all carry influence in someone’s life. How can we leverage that for good and for God? February 11-12, we will take an overnight trip to Joshua Tree to spend a night under the stars.There will be fun games as well as an important discussion on what it means to influence others in an encouraging Christ-filled way. The cost is estimated to be between $20-40 with more specific details to come.
- The winter retreat is coming up March 17-19! Time to break out those skies and snowboards as we will head back up to Big Bear resort. This is one of the best times of the year and we would love to see everyone there shredding the slopes! Our theme for the trip is “How will you spend your dash?” based on a poem by Linda Ellis. The cost is $145 for the weekend not including rentals. Please email Rachael to RSVP so we can start putting together carpools and room assignments.