Hello, Church Family!
“And they received from Moses all the contribution that the people of Israel had brought for doing the work on the sanctuary. They still kept bringing him freewill offerings every morning, so that all the craftsmen who were doing every sort of task on the sanctuary came, each from the task that he was doing, and said to Moses, ‘The people bring much more than enough for doing the work that the Lord has commanded us to do.’ So Moses gave command, and word was proclaimed throughout the camp, ‘Let no man or woman do anything more for the contribution for the sanctuary.’ So the people were restrained from bringing, for the material they had was sufficient to do all the work, and more.”
-Exodus 36:3-7 (emphasis added)
May we be a people and a church restrained from giving more because our freewill offerings are more than enough.
- Sue Griffin, Brad Griffin’s mother, who is undergoing chemo for breast cancer (Pray especially for Sue to have no nausea!)
- Hung Le and family, mourning the loss of Hung’s father Peter
- Judy Anders, former UCC member (and widow of former preacher Dan Anders), who has been diagnosed with lung cancer
- Wisdom for the preacher confirmation process
- Neil Casey for his work in the Peace Corps overseas in Georgia
- Bernice, Bernie James’ mother, as she continues to recover
- Expectant Parents: Haley and Zach Love (due 2/22), and Katy and Peter Thompson (due 7/3)
- The missionaries we support: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia), and Ruth and Ati Levai (Hungary); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras)
Events At A Glance
- February 5: Youth Group Super Bowl Party
- February 11-12: Youth Group Influencers Trip
- February 16: SOS Serving the Homeless
- February 17-19: Campus Ministry Retreat at the Salvation Army Camp
- April 20: SOS Serving the Homeless
- March 17-19: Youth Group Winter Retreat at Big Bear
- March 25: UCC Ladies’ Day Retreat
- March 26: Annual Missions’ Contribution
- May 26-28: All-Church Camping Trip
UCC Minister Search Update — The minister search committee believes they have found someone to serve as our preacher: Al Sturgeon. After prayerful consideration and after extensive discussions with Al and Jody, the elders accept the recommendation of this committee subject to the input of this congregation. As verbally announced on Sunday, you are invited to communicate with the members of the search committee (co-chairs Regan Schaffer and Jim Gash, Jake Bigon, Dusty Breeding, Gillian Chong, Janet Davis, and Linda Truschke) or the elders in person, via phone, text, or e-mail, by this upcoming Sunday, February 5. This is NOT simply a formality – they want to hear from you before a final decision is made. Thank you for prayerfully providing your feedback if you have not already done so.
All-Church Camping Trip — Save the date for our all-church camping trip coming up Memorial Day Weekend (May 26 – 28) at the Wheeler Gorge Campground in Ojai. All ages are welcome! Non-campers welcome, too, since motels are available in the surrounding area. Additional details to be provided in the coming weeks. For any immediate questions, please contact Jenny Parmelee or Stacy Rouse.
UCC Ladies’ Day Retreat — March 25 — Ladies, please hold March 25 on your calendar for our one-day ladies’ retreat happening in or near Malibu. If you are interested in helping plan, contact Kari Coppinger.
Spring Bible Classes — Sundays at 9:00 a.m. —
- “The Remarkable Testimony of a Mysterious Witness: John 1-6” with John Wilson & Randy Chesnutt, Appleby Center 286
- “Shelter from the Storm” with Regan and Robby Shaffer, Appleby Center 290
- “Seek Wisdom: A Study of Proverbs” with Al Sturgeon, 24508 Mariposa Circle
- “Preparing for Marriage” with Susan Giboney, Appleby Center 270
- “Old Testament Character Study” with UCC Youth Group and Dusty and Cecily Breeding, 24358 Baxter Drive
Youth Group Updates —
- Super Bowl Party! This Sunday, February 5, the Patriots will be playing the Falcons in one of the biggest games of the year. Come out and watch this showdown with us at the Morgans’ house after church at 2:00 pm. This will be a potluck event therefore if you are in middle school please bring a salty snack and if you are in high school please bring something sweet to share.
- Youth Group House Group: weekly gathering on Wednesdays from 7:00-8:30 p.m. A great time to share a meal and connect over Scripture. This semester, we will work through a study called “24/7” which seeks to make connections between Scripture and some of the things that come up in the real world on a daily basis.
- On Sunday mornings during Bible class, we’ll be kicking off a semester-long survey of the Old Testament through the eyes of 13 different Biblical characters. Their stories will draw us into the arc of the story between God and Israel.
- Influencers: a new overnight experience will be launching this spring. This gathering will be a missional opportunity for students to invite their friends to connect with our youth group in a fun environment. The experience will be geared towards acknowledging that we all carry influence in someone’s life. How can we leverage that for good and for God? February 11-12, we will take an overnight trip to Joshua Tree to spend a night under the stars.There will be fun games as well as an important discussion on what it means to influence others in an encouraging Christ-filled way. The cost is estimated to be between $20-40 with more specific details to come.
- The winter retreat is coming up March 17-19! Time to break out those skies and snowboards as we will head back up to Big Bear resort. This is one of the best times of the year and we would love to see everyone there shredding the slopes! Our theme for the trip is “How will you spend your dash?” based on a poem by Linda Ellis. The cost is $145 for the weekend not including rentals. Please email Rachael to RSVP so we can start putting together carpools and room assignments.