Hello, Church Family!
“The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.”
- Sue Griffin, Brad Griffin’s mother, who has just been diagnosed with breast cancer (Pray especially for the finalization of her treatment plan.)
- Hung Le and family, mourning the loss of Hung’s father Peter
- Judy Anders, former UCC member (and widow of former preacher Dan Anders), who has been diagnosed with lung cancer
- Wisdom for the preacher search
- Ann Skipper, as she recovers from spinal surgery
- Neil Casey for his work in the Peace Corps overseas in Georgia
- Bernice, Bernie James’ mother, as she continues to recover
- Expectant Parents: Haley and Zach Love (due 2/22), and Katy and Peter Thompson (due 7/3)
- The missionaries we support: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia), and Ruth and Ati Levai (Hungary); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras)
Events At A Glance
- January 28: Youth Group Chinese New Year Celebration
- February 11-12: Youth Group Influencers Trip
- February 16: SOS Serving the Homeless
- February 17-19: Campus Ministry Retreat at the Salvation Army Camp
- April 20: SOS Serving the Homeless
- March 17-19: Youth Group Winter Retreat at Big Bear
- March 25: UCC Ladies’ Day Retreat
Meals for the Bauman Family — TONIGHT STILL NEEDED —Welcome Christopher “Glyde” Bauman! For those who would like to share a meal with the Baumans as they transition to a family of five, feel free to use this meal train to sign up. Contact Liz Mancuso if you have questions.
A Note from the Le Family — Dear Church Family, your loving kindness and heartfelt expressions of sympathy have provided much comfort for us during this time of grief. Your compassionate prayers have held us up and enveloped us in the grace of our Lord. We are so very thankful to be a part of this family where we are loved and cared for so deeply. We find much strength in you and your love. Blessings, Hung for the Le Family
A Note from the Culpeppers — I (Arthur) have found a new job in Austin, Texas, with the University of Texas System. I will be leaving the church and the area ahead of Donna on February 4. Following Addyson’s graduation from Pepperdine in late April, Donna will then join me in Austin with the final move of our household goods! I also want to extend our thanks to everyone for their hospitality, kindness and cups of joy provide to our family. A special thanks to the Hung Le family, David Baird, and John and Claudette Wilson for reaching out to us in our beginning days here at University Church. We wish God’s blessings and prayers on the selection committee and the new preacher, continued service to the community, and prayers for his support as students continue coming to Pepperdine for their launching into our world. God’s speed! -Arthur & Donna Culpepper
UCC Ladies’ Day Retreat — March 25 — Ladies, please hold March 25 on your calendar for our one-day ladies’ retreat happening in or near Malibu. If you are interested in helping plan, contact Kari Coppinger.
UCC Minister Search Update — The University Church of Christ minister search committee (co-chairs Regan Schaffer and Jim Gash, Jake Bigon, Dusty Breeding, Gillian Chong, Janet Davis, and Linda Truschke) is moving forward with our current candidates and don’t wish to solicit further applicants. Thank you for your continued prayers over this process!
Spring Bible Classes — Sundays at 9:00 a.m. —
- “The Remarkable Testimony of a Mysterious Witness: John 1-6” with John Wilson & Randy Chesnutt, Appleby Center 286
- “Shelter from the Storm” with Regan and Robby Shaffer, Appleby Center 290
- “Seek Wisdom: A Study of Proverbs” with Al Sturgeon, 24508 Mariposa Circle
- “Preparing for Marriage” with Susan Giboney, Appleby Center 270
- “Old Testament Character Study” with UCC Youth Group and Dusty and Cecily Breeding, 24358 Baxter Drive
Youth Group Updates —
- Next Saturday, January 28 we will be taking a trip to Chinatown to celebrate the Chinese New Year. Please plan on meeting at the Breedings’ house at 6:00 p.m. and returning between 9:00 and 10:00 p.m. We will be eating dinner in Chinatown so please bring money for food.
- Youth Group House Group: weekly gathering on Wednesdays from 7:00-8:30 p.m. A great time to share a meal and connect over Scripture. This semester, we will work through a study called “24/7” which seeks to make connections between Scripture and some of the things that come up in the real world on a daily basis.
- On Sunday mornings during Bible class, we’ll be kicking off a semester-long survey of the Old Testament through the eyes of 13 different Biblical characters. Their stories will draw us into the arc of the story between God and Israel.
- Influencers: a new overnight experience will be launching this spring. This gathering will be a missional opportunity for students to invite their friends to connect with our youth group in a fun environment. The experience will be geared towards acknowledging that we all carry influence in someone’s life. How can we leverage that for good and for God? February 11-12, we will take an overnight trip to Joshua Tree to spend a night under the stars.There will be fun games as well as an important discussion on what it means to influence others in an encouraging Christ-filled way. The cost is estimated to be between $20-40 with more specific details to come.
- The winter retreat is coming up March 17-19! Time to break out those skies and snowboards as we will head back up to Big Bear resort. This is one of the best times of the year and we would love to see everyone there shredding the slopes! Our theme for the trip is “How will you spend your dash?” based on a poem by Linda Ellis. The cost is $145 for the weekend not including rentals. Please email Rachael to RSVP so we can start putting together carpools and room assignments.