Hello, Church Family!
“But you, O Lord, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head. I cried aloud to the Lord, and he answered me from his holy hill.”
- Hung Le and family, mourning the loss of Hung’s father Peter (Here are the funeral details.)
- David Dowdey and family, mourning the loss of David’s sister, Virginia Renfrow, and his niece, Melanie. Please also pray for David’s brother-in-law, Bill, recovering from serious injuries.
- Judy Anders, former UCC member (and widow of former preacher Dan Anders), who has been diagnosed with lung cancer
- Wisdom for the preacher search
- Ann Skipper, as she recovers from spinal surgery
- Safety and peace for Tyler and Katie Selby and their family, in Addis Abbaba, Ethiopia, where they are missionaries
- Peace for Mindi and Dereje Aleme and family while they are on leave from Ethiopia
- Ken Perrin, recovering from a bad fall
- Neil Casey for his work in the Peace Corps overseas in Georgia
- Bernice, Bernie James’ mother, as she continues to recover
- Expectant Parents: Haley and Zach Love, and Katy and Peter Thompson
- The missionaries we support: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia), and Ruth and Ati Levai (Hungary); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras)
Events At A Glance
- February 16: SOS Serving the Homeless
- February 17-19: Campus Ministry Retreat at the Salvation Army Camp
- April 20: SOS Serving the Homeless
- March 17-19: Youth Group Winter Retreat at Big Bear
- March 25: UCC Ladies’ Day Retreat
Meals for the Bauman Family — January 24 and 22 STILL NEEDED —Welcome Christopher “Glyde” Bauman! For those who would like to share a meal with the Baumans as they transition to a family of five, feel free to use this meal train to sign up. Contact Liz Mancuso if you have questions.
UCC Ladies’ Day Retreat — March 25 — Ladies, please hold March 25 on your calendar for our one-day ladies’ retreat happening in or near Malibu. If you are interested in helping plan, contact Kari Coppinger.
UCC Minister Search Update — The University Church of Christ minister search committee (co-chairs Regan Schaffer and Jim Gash, Jake Bigon, Dusty Breeding, Gillian Chong, Janet Davis, and Linda Truschke) is still accepting nominations and applications, but they are proceeding with narrowing down the field. They will give us a more detailed update early this year. Here are links to the vision statement, the nomination form, and the application form that all who are interested in being considered should complete at their earliest convenience. Please share these documents with your networks and prayerfully consider whom you might want to nominate for consideration by the committee.
Spring Bible Classes — Sundays at 9:00 a.m. —
- “The Remarkable Testimony of a Mysterious Witness: John 1-6” with John Wilson & Randy Chesnutt, Appleby Center 286
- “Shelter from the Storm” with Regan and Robby Shaffer, Appleby Center 290
- “Seek Wisdom: A Study of Proverbs” with Al Sturgeon, 24508 Mariposa Circle
- “Preparing for Marriage” with Susan Giboney, tentatively Appleby Center 270
- “Old Testament Character Study” with UCC Youth Group and Dusty and Cecily Breeding, 24358 Baxter Drive
Youth Group Updates —
- Youth Group House Group: weekly gathering on Wednesdays from 7:00-8:30 p.m. A great time to share a meal and connect over Scripture. This semester, we will work through a study called “24/7” which seeks to make connections between Scripture and some of the things that come up in the real world on a daily basis.
- On Sunday mornings during Bible class, we’ll be kicking off a semester-long survey of the Old Testament through the eyes of 13 different Biblical characters. Their stories will draw us into the arc of the story between God and Israel.
- Influencers: a new overnight experience will be launching this spring. This gathering will be a missional opportunity for students to invite their friends to connect with our youth group in a fun environment. The experience will be geared towards acknowledging that we all carry influence in someone’s life. How can we leverage that for good and for God?