Hello, Church Family!
“And the angel said to them, ‘Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.’ And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, ‘Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!’”
This week, may we join in with the multitude of angels praising God for Jesus’ birth. Merry Christmas!
- David Dowdey and family, mourning the loss of David’s sister, Virginia Renfrow, and his niece, Melanie. Please also pray for David’s brother-in-law, Bill, recovering from serious injuries.
- Judy Anders, former UCC member (and widow of former preacher Dan Anders), who has been diagnosed with lung cancer
- Wisdom for the preacher search
- Ann Skipper, as she recovers from spinal surgery
- Safety and peace for Tyler and Katie Selby and their family, in Addis Abbaba, Ethiopia, where they are missionaries
- Peace for Mindi and Dereje Aleme and family while they are on leave from Ethiopia
- Ken Perrin, recovering from a bad fall
- Neil Casey for his work in the Peace Corps overseas in Georgia
- Bernice, Bernie James’ mother, as she continues to recover
- Expectant Parents: Haley and Zach Love
- The missionaries we support: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia), and Ruth and Ati Levai (Hungary); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras)
Events At A Glance
- This Sunday, December 25: Church Service in Stauffer Chapel at 10:15
- Next Sunday, January 1: Church Service in Elkins at 10:15
- March 25: UCC Ladies’ Day Retreat
- UCC will not host a Christmas Eve service this year.
- Christmas morning, we will have worship at 10:15 BUT please note that we will be meeting in the Stauffer Chapel. We look forward to Eric Wilson sharing with us.
- New Year’s morning, we will have worship at 10:15 in Elkins as usual.
- No Bible classes (for children or adults): December 25 and January 1
Year-End Gifts — If you are traveling for the holidays or you would like to make one last contribution to the church for 2016, please note that all checks must be postmarked by December 31 to be counted for this calendar year. You may mail checks to University Church, 24255 Pacific Coast Highway, Malibu, CA 90263-4504. Thank you as always for your generous hearts!
Meals for the Bauman Family — Welcome Glyde Bauman! Christopher “Glyde” Bauman was born Tuesday, December 6, at 5:34 a.m., weighing 7 lbs 1 oz. and measuring 19.5″ long. Glyde is named after Chris’ great-grandfather. Mom and baby are healthy and home. For those who would like to share a meal with the Baumans as they transition to a family of five, feel free to use this meal train to sign up. Contact Liz Mancuso if you have questions.
UCC Ladies’ Day Retreat — March 25 — Ladies, please hold March 25 on your calendar for our one-day ladies’ retreat happening in or near Malibu. If you are interested in helping plan, contact Kari Coppinger.
The Christmas Pageant & Potluck was awesome! — Thank you to everyone who made the the wonderful tradition possible again this year. Here are pictures from the evening.
UCC Minister Search Update — The University Church of Christ minister search committee (co-chairs Regan Schaffer and Jim Gash, Jake Bigon, Dusty Breeding, Gillian Chong, Janet Davis, Gary Selby*, and Linda Truschke) is still accepting nominations and applications, but they are proceeding with narrowing down the field. They will give us a more detailed update early next year. Here are links to the vision statement, the nomination form, and the application form that all who are interested in being considered should complete at their earliest convenience. Please share these documents with your networks and prayerfully consider whom you might want to nominate for consideration by the committee. *Gary has now stepped off due to his imminent move
Bible Class Announcements —
We will have no Bible classes on December 25 or January 1. On January 8, our adult Bible classes will resume. Here is a preview of one of those classes:
The Remarkable Testimony of a Mysterious Witness: John 1-6
The Gospel of John is both the simplest and the most profound witness to the life, death, and real identity of Jesus of Nazareth. In this class we will try to hear and understand this witness as it is presented to us in the first six chapters of this remarkable ancient document. Teachers: John Wilson and Randy Chesnutt. Class will be located in Appleby Center 286, and will begin each week at 9:00 a.m. All are welcome!