Hello, Church Family!
“And Mary said, ‘My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant. For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed; for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name. And his mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation.‘”
This week, let’s reflect on Mary’s ability to rejoice despite adversity that God called her to, since she knew that God had a greater purpose for her life than she could ever image for herself. May we all be open to adversity for the sake of bringing God’s kingdom to earth.
- David Dowdey and family, mourning the loss of David’s sister, Virginia Renfrow, and his niece, Melanie, who were killed last week in a truck accident near Meridian, Mississippi. David’s brother-in-law, Bill, apparently had a seizure and lost control of the truck on a curve, resulting in it rolling over and going down a steep embankment. Please also pray for Bill as he is in the hospital with serious injuries.
- Judy Anders, former UCC member (and widow of former preacher Dan Anders), who has been diagnosed with lung cancer
- Wisdom for the preacher search
- Ann Skipper, as she recovers from spinal surgery
- Safety and peace for Tyler and Katie Selby and their family, in Addis Abbaba, Ethiopia, where they are missionaries
- Peace for Mindi and Dereje Aleme and family while they are on leave from Ethiopia
- Ken Perrin, recovering from a bad fall
- Neil Casey for his work in the Peace Corps overseas in Georgia
- Bernice, Bernie James’ mother, as she continues to recover
- Expectant Parents: Haley and Zach Love
- The missionaries we support: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia), and Ruth and Ati Levai (Hungary); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras)
Events At A Glance
- Tonight, December 15: Serving at SOS
- This Sunday, December 18: Christmas Pageant & Potluck
Farewell to the Selbys — If you have not yet had the opportunity to bless the Selbys as they go forth from us, we are thankful to say they will be with us one last time at the Christmas potluck. The Selbys begin their move to Tennessee on Monday, December 19.
Meals for the Bauman Family — Welcome Glyde Bauman! Christopher “Glyde” Bauman was born Tuesday, December 6, at 5:34 a.m., weighing 7 lbs 1 oz. and measuring 19.5″ long. Glyde is named after Chris’ great-grandfather. Mom and baby are healthy and home, and some of us even got to meet Glyde at church last Sunday! For those who would like to share a meal with the Baumans as they transition to a family of five, feel free to use this meal train to sign up. Contact Liz Mancuso if you have questions.
Serving at SOS — TONIGHT — Our church is serving dinner at the Standing on Stone ministry is this evening, Thursday, December 15. It’s not too late to contact Katy Thompson to learn about how you can get involved.
Women’s Ministry — Please Vote! — We have decided to have a one-day ladies retreat in the spring in or near Malibu. Please click here to let us know if you are available on February 11 and/or March 25. If you are interested in helping plan, contact Kari Coppinger.
- Christmas Pageant remaining rehearsals: the last one is this Sunday, December 18, during Bible class hour (9:00-10:00 a.m.), and it should be in the cafeteria.
- Christmas Pageant & Potluck: Sunday, December 18, at 5:30 p.m.
- No Bible classes (for children or adults): December 25 and January 1
UCC Minister Search Update — The University Church of Christ minister search committee (co-chairs Regan Schaffer and Jim Gash, Jake Bigon, Dusty Breeding, Gillian Chong, Janet Davis, Gary Selby*, and Linda Truschke) is still accepting nominations and applications, but they are proceeding with narrowing down the field. They will give us a more detailed update early next year. Here are links to the vision statement, the nomination form, and the application form that all who are interested in being considered should complete at their earliest convenience. Please share these documents with your networks and prayerfully consider whom you might want to nominate for consideration by the committee. *Gary has now stepped off due to his imminent move
Bible Class Announcements — This Sunday, December 18, will be the last meeting of Danny Mathews’ class on Leviticus (Appleby Center 286, 9:00 a.m.). This has been a powerful class, looking closely at the heart of the Pentateuch. Thank you, Danny!
We will have no Bible classes on December 25 or January 1. On January 8, our adult Bible classes will resume. Here is a preview of one of those classes:
The Remarkable Testimony of a Mysterious Witness: John 1-6
The Gospel of John is both the simplest and the most profound witness to the life, death, and real identity of Jesus of Nazareth. In this class we will try to hear and understand this witness as it is presented to us in the first six chapters of this remarkable ancient document. Teachers: John Wilson and Randy Chesnutt. Class will be located in Appleby Center 286, and will begin each week at 9:00 a.m. All are welcome!
Youth Ministry Updates —
-This Sunday, we’ll be at Dusty and Cecily Breeding’s home (24358 Baxter) for breakfast and Bible class at 9:00 a.m.