Hello, Church Family!
“Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through Him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God.”
Chris Seidman, senior minister at the church I grew up at, recently shared this update on facebook: “A funeral this morn. And one this afternoon. There’s plenty of room for grief at the Christmas table. But Hope sits at the head of it.” During this season of joy, let’s be mindful of those grieving and in need of hope.
- Judy Anders, former UCC member (and widow of former preacher Dan Anders), who has been diagnosed with lung cancer
- Wisdom for the preacher search
- Ann Skipper, as she recovers from spinal surgery
- Safety and peace for Tyler and Katie Selby and their family, in Addis Abbaba, Ethiopia, where they are missionaries
- Peace for Mindi and Dereje Aleme and family while they are on leave from Ethiopia
- Ken Perrin, recovering from a bad fall
- Neil Casey for his work in the Peace Corps overseas in Georgia
- Bernice, Bernie James’ mother, as she continues to recover
- Expectant Parents: Leslie and Chris Bauman, and Haley and Zach Love
- The missionaries we support: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia), and Ruth and Ati Levai (Hungary); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras)
Events At A Glance
- December 10: Malibu Labor Exchange Christmas Party
- December 15: Serving at SOS
- December 18: Christmas Pageant & Potluck
Empty Egg Cartons Needed — Manna Food Bank is in need of empty egg cartons. Please bring them to the lobby of Elkins this Sunday, December 11, and Patty Atkisson will take them to Manna.
Women’s Ministry — Please Vote! — We have decided to have a one-day ladies retreat in the spring in or near Malibu. Please click here to let us know if you are available on February 11 and/or March 25. If you are interested in helping plan, contact Kari Coppinger.
Labor Exchange Christmas Party — The Annual Malibu Community Labor Exchange (MCLE) Christmas Party for MCLE workers and their families is this Saturday, December 10, from noon to 2:00 p.m. at Our Lady of Malibu Catholic Church. Each year we serve between 100-125 people. We need help with the following:
- Unwrapped toys for children of all ages
- Cash (and/or gift cards) to cover the cost of toys, food, and supplies for the lunch
- Side dishes: traditional Latin American foods and Christmas fare are enjoyed and appreciated by the diners!
- Help before, during, and/or after the party: set-up and toy sorting from 10:00 to noon, visiting with MCLE families from 11:30-2:00, and clean-up from 2:00-3:00.
- Christmas Pageant remaining rehearsals: Sundays, December 11 and 18 during Bible class hour (9:00-10:00 a.m.). The December 18 morning rehearsal should be in the cafeteria.
- Christmas Pageant & Potluck: Sunday, December 18, at 5:30 p.m.
- No Bible classes (for children or adults): December 25 and January 1
UCC Minister Search — The University Church of Christ has formed a committee to assist the elders in identifying the next minister of our church. The committee consists of two Pepperdine students, two current ministers, two resident members, and two elders. Regan Schaffer and Jim Gash will co-chair the committee, which will include Jake Bigon, Dusty Breeding, Gillian Chong, Janet Davis, Gary Selby, and Linda Truschke. Our goal is to have a minister identified no later than January of 2017. Here are links to the vision statement, the nomination form, and the application form that all who are interested in being considered should complete at their earliest convenience. Please share these documents with your networks and prayerfully consider whom you might want to nominate for consideration by the committee.
Fall Bible Classes — We have four Bible classes available this fall:
–Shelter from the Storm — Regan and Robby Schaffer invite you to this class that provides a place for members of our church body to grow closer as a community as we allow the word of God to shape, define, and nourish us. Each Sunday, we will provide time for fellowship, prayer, and reflection on scripture. Please join this class in Appleby Center 290 at 9:00 a.m.
–Worshiping the Holy God in Our Midst: A Study of Leviticus — Please consider joining this class Danny Mathews is teaching in Appleby Center 286 at 9:00 a.m.
–College Bible Class — Join in at the Fireside Room at 9:00 a.m. on Sundays. Lessons center on a video series with Francis Chan called “The Book of James,” about what it means to truly live out your faith. All ages are welcome!
–Seek Wisdom: A Study of Proverbs — This grad student and young professionals’ class is underway, but it’s never too late to join in! Al and Jody Sturgeon host the class at their Drescher condo (24508 Mariposa Circle) from 9:00-10:00 a.m.
Youth Ministry Updates —
–December 9 the youth group will have our annual White Elephant Christmas Party. Break out those ugly sweaters and bad gift ideas. We will meet at the Rouses’ house from 7:00-9:00 p.m. Please bring your favorite dessert for everyone to enjoy.
-This Sunday, we’ll be at Dusty and Cecily Breeding’s home (24358 Baxter) for breakfast and Bible class at 9:00 a.m.
-The youth group is putting together a Spartan Race team! Come and join our team Sunday, December 11 at 3:15 pm after church. The estimated cost for this event is $112.79. Let’s get stronger together! Please contact Rachael Collins if you have questions or would like to sign up.