Hello, Church Family!
“Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.”
This Christmas season, and all year round, let’s strive to bring peace.
- Praise that the money to repair the Made in the Streets water well was raised so quickly!
- Judy Anders, former UCC member (and widow of former preacher Dan Anders), who has been diagnosed with lung cancer
- Wisdom for the preacher search
- Ann Skipper, as she recovers from spinal surgery
- Safety and peace for Tyler and Katie Selby and their family, in Addis Abbaba, Ethiopia, where they are missionaries
- Peace for Mindi and Dereje Aleme and family while they are on leave from Ethiopia
- Ken Perrin, recovering from a bad fall
- Neil Casey for his work in the Peace Corps overseas in Georgia
- Bernice, Bernie James’ mother, as she continues to recover
- Expectant Parents: Leslie and Chris Bauman, and Haley and Zach Love
- The missionaries we support: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia), and Ruth and Ati Levai (Hungary); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras)
Events At A Glance
- December 4: “Undie Sunday” Drive & Le Family Christmas Desserts Open House
- December 7: Selby Farewell Party
- December 10: Malibu Labor Exchange Christmas Party
- December 15: Serving at SOS
- December 18: Christmas Pageant & Potluck
“Undie Sunday” Drive — This is the last week to bring new or gently used pajamas and new socks and/or underwear (any size) to church for our 3rd annual collection in recognition of National Adoption Month. These items will benefit foster youth in Ventura County through Rachael’s Closet, a free “store” for foster families. For more information, contact Kari Coppinger.
Women’s Ministry — Ladies, if you are interested in helping to plan a Ladies’ Day and/or other women’s ministry activities this spring, please meet at the front of the auditorium for a short planning meeting after church on December 4. If you cannot attend but are interested, contact Kari Coppinger.
Le Family Christmas Desserts Open House — Please join the Le family for their annual Christmas Desserts Open House at their home (24349 Baxter Drive, Malibu) on Sunday, December 4, from 6:00-9:00 p.m.
- Unwrapped toys for children of all ages
- Cash (and/or gift cards) to cover the cost of toys, food, and supplies for the lunch
- Side dishes: traditional Latin American foods and Christmas fare are enjoyed and appreciated by the diners!
- Help before, during, and/or after the party: set-up and toy sorting from 10:00 to noon, visiting with MCLE families from 11:30-2:00, and clean-up from 2:00-3:00.
Selby Farewell Party — This Pepperdine gathering on Wednesday morning, December 7, will honor both Tammy and Gary, and our church has been specifically invited. (This is in addition to, not a replacement of, honoring them at church.) Details are on this flier. There is a specific time of blessing at 8:45 a.m.,and a representative of our church, Oscar Schaffer, will be speaking.
Thank You! — Thank you for your generous contributions to the Benevolence Fund. The total in gifts and pledges for this year’s Benevolence Contribution is $35,322.10. For those still interested in giving or for those of you who may have missed church on November 13, you are free to give any time of year by writing the word “Benevolence” in the memo line of your check.
UCC Holiday Schedule — The holidays are upon us!
- Christmas Pageant rehearsals: Sundays, November 27, December 4, December 11, and December 18 during Bible class hour (9:00-10:00 a.m.). The December 18 morning rehearsal should be in the cafeteria.
- Christmas Pageant & Potluck: Sunday, December 18, at 5:30 p.m.
- No Bible classes (for children or adults): December 25 and January 1
UCC Minister Search — The University Church of Christ has formed a committee to assist the elders in identifying the next minister of our church. The committee consists of two Pepperdine students, two current ministers, two resident members, and two elders. Regan Schaffer and Jim Gash will co-chair the committee, which will include Jake Bigon, Dusty Breeding, Gillian Chong, Janet Davis, Gary Selby, and Linda Truschke. Our goal is to have a minister identified no later than January of 2017. Here are links to the vision statement, the nomination form, and the application form that all who are interested in being considered should complete at their earliest convenience. Please share these documents with your networks and prayerfully consider whom you might want to nominate for consideration by the committee.
Save the Date for SOS — Our upcoming date to serve dinner at the Standing on Stone ministry is Thursday, December 15. Please mark your calendars and contact Katy Thompson to learn about how you can get involved.
Fall Bible Classes — We have four Bible classes available this fall:
–Shelter from the Storm — Regan and Robby Schaffer invite you to this class that provides a place for members of our church body to grow closer as a community as we allow the word of God to shape, define, and nourish us. Each Sunday, we will provide time for fellowship, prayer, and reflection on scripture. Please join this class in Appleby Center 290 at 9:00 a.m.
–Worshiping the Holy God in Our Midst: A Study of Leviticus — Please consider joining this class Danny Mathews is teaching in Appleby Center 286 at 9:00 a.m.
–College Bible Class — Join in at the Fireside Room at 9:00 a.m. on Sundays. Lessons center on a video series with Francis Chan called “The Book of James,” about what it means to truly live out your faith. All ages are welcome!
–Seek Wisdom: A Study of Proverbs — This grad student and young professionals’ class is underway, but it’s never too late to join in! Al and Jody Sturgeon host the class at their Drescher condo (24508 Mariposa Circle) from 9:00-10:00 a.m.
Youth Ministry Updates —
-Tomorrow, December 2, will be our last Children’s Ministry Game Night in our three part series from 6:00-8:00 p.m. at the Breedings’ house . The theme for this night is service and we would love for all children and parents to be a part of our last event. RSVP to Dusty.
-This Saturday, December 3, we will be putting together goody bags filled with socks, toothbrushes, toothpaste, and pb&j sandwiches. We will then go to hand the bags out down at the labor exchange by Malibu Country Mart. We will meet at the Breeding’s home around 8:30 am and then carpool to the Labor exchange.
-This Sunday, we’ll be at Dusty and Cecily Breeding’s home (24358 Baxter) for breakfast and Bible class at 9:00 a.m.
–December 9 the youth group will have our annual White Elephant Christmas Party. Break out those ugly sweaters and bad gift ideas. Location and time TBD.
-The youth group is putting together a Spartan Race team! Come and join our team Sunday, December 11 at 3:15 pm after church. The estimated cost for this event is $112.79. Let’s get stronger together!