Hello, Church Family!
“And he who was seated on the throne said, ‘Behold, I am making all things new.’ Also he said, ‘Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.’”
He’s making all things new—and not just in honor of the upcoming new year, either. May we trust and allow Him to continue making us new in 2017!
- David Dowdey and family, mourning the loss of David’s sister, Virginia Renfrow, and his niece, Melanie. Please also pray for David’s brother-in-law, Bill, recovering from serious injuries.
- Judy Anders, former UCC member (and widow of former preacher Dan Anders), who has been diagnosed with lung cancer
- Wisdom for the preacher search
- Ann Skipper, as she recovers from spinal surgery
- Safety and peace for Tyler and Katie Selby and their family, in Addis Abbaba, Ethiopia, where they are missionaries
- Peace for Mindi and Dereje Aleme and family while they are on leave from Ethiopia
- Ken Perrin, recovering from a bad fall
- Neil Casey for his work in the Peace Corps overseas in Georgia
- Bernice, Bernie James’ mother, as she continues to recover
- Expectant Parents: Haley and Zach Love
- The missionaries we support: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia), and Ruth and Ati Levai (Hungary); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras)
Events At A Glance
- This Sunday, January 1: Church Service in Elkins at 10:15
- March 25: UCC Ladies’ Day Retreat
- New Year’s morning, we will have worship at 10:15 in Elkins as usual.
- No Bible classes (for children or adults): January 1
Year-End Gifts — If you are traveling for the holidays or you would like to make one last contribution to the church for 2016, please note that all checks must be postmarked by this Saturday, December 31, to be counted for this calendar year. You may mail checks to University Church, 24255 Pacific Coast Highway, Malibu, CA 90263-4504. Thank you as always for your generous hearts!
Meals for the Bauman Family — Welcome Glyde Bauman! Christopher “Glyde” Bauman was born Tuesday, December 6, at 5:34 a.m., weighing 7 lbs 1 oz. and measuring 19.5″ long. Glyde is named after Chris’ great-grandfather. Mom and baby are healthy and home. For those who would like to share a meal with the Baumans as they transition to a family of five, feel free to use this meal train to sign up. Contact Liz Mancuso if you have questions.
UCC Ladies’ Day Retreat — March 25 — Ladies, please hold March 25 on your calendar for our one-day ladies’ retreat happening in or near Malibu. If you are interested in helping plan, contact Kari Coppinger.
UCC Minister Search Update — The University Church of Christ minister search committee (co-chairs Regan Schaffer and Jim Gash, Jake Bigon, Dusty Breeding, Gillian Chong, Janet Davis, and Linda Truschke) is still accepting nominations and applications, but they are proceeding with narrowing down the field. They will give us a more detailed update early next year. Here are links to the vision statement, the nomination form, and the application form that all who are interested in being considered should complete at their earliest convenience. Please share these documents with your networks and prayerfully consider whom you might want to nominate for consideration by the committee.
Bible Class Announcements —
We will have no Bible classes on January 1. On January 8, our adult Bible classes will resume. Here is a preview of one of those classes:
The Remarkable Testimony of a Mysterious Witness: John 1-6
The Gospel of John is both the simplest and the most profound witness to the life, death, and real identity of Jesus of Nazareth. In this class we will try to hear and understand this witness as it is presented to us in the first six chapters of this remarkable ancient document. Teachers: John Wilson and Randy Chesnutt. Class will be located in Appleby Center 286, and will begin each week at 9:00 a.m. All are welcome!