Hello, Church Family!
“Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.”
- Those mourning the losses of Charlie Runnels and Tim Pownall
- Nathan Thomas, son of James and Kanet Thomas, recovering from successful surgery
- Wisdom for the preacher search
- Ann Skipper, as she recovers from spinal surgery
- Safety and peace for Tyler and Katie Selby and their family, in Addis Abbaba, Ethiopia, where they are missionaries
- Peace for Mindi and Dereje Aleme and family while they are on leave from Ethiopia
- Ken Perrin, recovering from a bad fall
- Neil Casey for his work in the Peace Corps overseas in Georgia
- Bernice, Bernie James’ mother, as she continues to recover
- Expectant Parents: Leslie and Chris Bauman, and Haley and Zach Love
- The missionaries we support: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia), and Ruth and Ati Levai (Hungary); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras)
Events At A Glance
- November 13: Benevolence Contribution Sunday
- December 4: Le Family Christmas Desserts Open House
- December 15: Serving at SOS
- December 18: Christmas Pageant & Potluck
Benevolence Contribution Sunday — THIS SUNDAY, November 13 — Prayerfully consider how you will contribute to the Benevolence Fund, supporting organizations with close ties to members of our church. PLEASE READ this letter from the Benevolence Committee in preparation for Sunday.
Le Family Christmas Desserts Open House — Please join the Le family for their annual Christmas Desserts Open House at their home (24349 Baxter Drive, Malibu) on Sunday, December 4, from 6:00-9:00 p.m.
NEW Weekly Prayer Gathering — Campus Ministry is starting a weekly prayer gathering at 9:00 a.m. on Thursdays in Stauffer Chapel. They would love to have church members join them, so feel free to come.
Thank you, Warwars! — We would like to extend special appreciation to the Warwar family for hosting our church Harvest Party. It was an incredible time of family fellowship, fun activities, and food. It was generous of them to host all of us so warmly.
Thanksgiving Week Email — Please note that Laura Fehlbaum will be sending out the UCC Family News email on Tuesday instead of Thursday that week due to the Thanksgiving holiday. Please plan to submit all entries for that week by 7:00 p.m. on Monday, November 21.
UCC Holiday Schedule — The holidays are upon us!
- Christmas Pageant rehearsals: Sundays, November 27, December 4, December 11, and December 18 during Bible class hour (9:00-10:00 a.m.). The December 18 morning rehearsal should be in the cafeteria.
- Christmas Pageant & Potluck: Sunday, December 18, time TBA
- No Bible classes (for children or adults): December 25 and January 1
UCC Minister Search — The University Church of Christ has formed a committee to assist the elders in identifying the next minister of our church. The committee consists of two Pepperdine students, two current ministers, two resident members, and two elders. Regan Schaffer and Jim Gash will co-chair the committee, which will include Jake Bigon, Dusty Breeding, Gillian Chong, Janet Davis, Gary Selby, and Linda Truschke. Our goal is to have a minister identified no later than January of 2017. Here are links to the vision statement, the nomination form, and the application form that all who are interested in being considered should complete at their earliest convenience. Please share these documents with your networks and prayerfully consider whom you might want to nominate for consideration by the committee.
Save the Date for SOS — Our upcoming date to serve dinner at the Standing on Stone ministry is Thursday, December 15. Please mark your calendars and contact Katy Thompson to learn about how you can get involved.
Fall Bible Classes — We have four Bible classes available this fall:
–Shelter from the Storm — Regan and Robby Schaffer invite you to this class that provides a place for members of our church body to grow closer as a community as we allow the word of God to shape, define, and nourish us. Each Sunday, we will provide time for fellowship, prayer, and reflection on scripture. Please join this class in Appleby Center 290 at 9:00 a.m.
–Worshiping the Holy God in Our Midst: A Study of Leviticus — Please consider joining this class Danny Mathews is teaching in Appleby Center 286 at 9:00 a.m.
–College Bible Class — Join in at the Fireside Room at 9:00 a.m. on Sundays. Lessons center on a video series with Francis Chan called “The Book of James,” about what it means to truly live out your faith. All ages are welcome!
–Seek Wisdom: A Study of Proverbs — This grad student and young professionals’ class is underway, but it’s never too late to join in! Al and Jody Sturgeon host the class at their Drescher condo (24508 Mariposa Circle) from 9:00-10:00 a.m.
Youth Ministry Updates —
-This Sunday, we’ll be at Dusty and Cecily Breeding’s home (24358 Baxter) for breakfast and Bible class at 9:00 a.m.
–Friday, November 18, we will have a game night around campus at several locations. We will start at Dusty’s house at 6:00 p.m. and end around 9:30 or 10:00 p.m. back at Dusty’s house.
–Saturday, November 19, the youth group is planning a big Thanksgiving “progressive dinner” where we eat different courses at different houses throughout the evening. We will start the event at 5:00 p.m. and end around 9:00 p.m. More details to come.
-Note: there will be no youth group gathering on Wednesday, November 23, due to the Thanksgiving holiday.