Hello, Church Family!
“What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, ‘Go in peace, be warmed and filled,’ without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.”
As we pray and prepare for the Benevolence Contribution Sunday coming up on November 13, let’s meditate on verses like the one above and how we can show our faith through our works.
- The family, colleagues, and friends mourning the loss of Charlie Runnels
- The family, colleagues, friends, and students mourning the loss of Tim Pownall
- Nathan Thomas, son of James and Kanet Thomas, recovering from successful surgery
- Wisdom for the preacher search
- Ann Skipper, as she recovers from spinal surgery
- Safety and peace for Tyler and Katie Selby and their family, in Addis Abbaba, Ethiopia, where they are missionaries
- Peace for Mindi and Dereje Aleme and family while they are on leave from Ethiopia
- Ken Perrin, recovering from a bad fall
- Neil Casey for his work in the Peace Corps overseas in Georgia
- Bernice, Bernie James’ mother, as she continues to recover
- Expectant Parents: Leslie and Chris Bauman, and Haley and Zach Love
- The missionaries we support: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia), and Ruth and Ati Levai (Hungary); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras)
Events At A Glance
- November 5: Set Your Clocks Back One Hour Before Bed
- November 8: Gary Selby’s New Book Celebration
- November 13: Benevolence Contribution Sunday
- December 15: Serving at SOS
Don’t Forget…It’s Time to “Fall Back” — Daylight Savings Time is coming to an end this Sunday morning, so do not forget to set your clock back one hour before bed on Saturday night. Unless you’d like to be a very early bird to church, that is! : )
Benevolence Contribution Sunday — November 13 — Prayerfully consider how you will contribute to the Benevolence Fund, supporting organizations with close ties to members of our church. Learn more about where the funds go during our church service this Sunday and next.
Gary Selby’s New Book Celebration — Join the Center for Faith and Learning on Tuesday, November 8, at 4:00 p.m. in the Fireside Room to celebrate the new book of our Director Gary Selby, Not with Wisdom of Words: Nonrational Persuasion in the New Testament. Dr. Selby will provide information on the book, followed by reviews by Religion Professors Kindy De Long and Ronald Highfield and Associate Chaplain Eric Wilson.
House Group T-Shirts — Show off your love for being a Campus Ministry House Group host or attendee by purchasing a great shirt! Pre-order by tomorrow (Friday) at 5:00 by filling out this form.
Thank You from School on Wheels — School on Wheels wishes to express heartfelt thanks for the donations from the Malibu University Church of Christ. The dollars donated have been multiplied by 2 with matching funds from a private donor. Backpacks and supplies donated have been distributed to students throughout Ventura and L.A. counties. THANK YOU from the homeless students receiving these gifts.
UCC Minister Search — The University Church of Christ has formed a committee to assist the elders in identifying the next minister of our church. The committee consists of two Pepperdine students, two current ministers, two resident members, and two elders. Regan Schaffer and Jim Gash will co-chair the committee, which will include Jake Bigon, Dusty Breeding, Gillian Chong, Janet Davis, Gary Selby, and Linda Truschke. Our goal is to have a minister identified no later than January of 2017. Here are links to the vision statement, the nomination form, and the application form that all who are interested in being considered should complete at their earliest convenience. Please share these documents with your networks and prayerfully consider whom you might want to nominate for consideration by the committee.
Save the Date for SOS — Our upcoming date to serve dinner at the Standing on Stone ministry is Thursday, December 15. Please mark your calendars and contact Katy Thompson to learn about how you can get involved.
Fall Bible Classes — We have four Bible classes available this fall:
–Shelter from the Storm — Regan and Robby Schaffer invite you to this class that provides a place for members of our church body to grow closer as a community as we allow the word of God to shape, define, and nourish us. Each Sunday, we will provide time for fellowship, prayer, and reflection on scripture. Please join this class in Appleby Center 290 at 9:00 a.m.
–Worshiping the Holy God in Our Midst: A Study of Leviticus — Please consider joining this class Danny Mathews is teaching in Appleby Center 286 at 9:00 a.m.
–College Bible Class — Join in at the Fireside Room at 9:00 a.m. on Sundays. Lessons center on a video series with Francis Chan called “The Book of James,” about what it means to truly live out your faith. All ages are welcome!
–Seek Wisdom: A Study of Proverbs — This grad student and young professionals’ class is underway, but it’s never too late to join in! Al and Jody Sturgeon host the class at their Drescher condo (24508 Mariposa Circle) from 9:00-10:00 a.m.
Youth Ministry Updates —
-This Sunday, we’ll be at Dusty and Cecily Breeding’s home (24358 Baxter) for breakfast and Bible class at 9:00 a.m.