Hello, Church Family!
“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
-God in Joshua 1:9
In this season of frights stemming from everything from Halloween to the election season, let’s be encouraged because the Lord is with us.
- The family, colleagues, and friends mourning the loss of Charlie Runnels
- The family, colleagues, friends, and students mourning the loss of Tim Pownall
- Nathan Thomas, son of James and Kanet Thomas, as he recovers from surgery (James and Kanet Thomas are happy to report that their son Nathan underwent successful surgery recently and is recovering nicely. All the Thomases thank you for your concern and your prayers.)
- Wisdom for the preacher search
- Ann Skipper, as she recovers from spinal surgery
- Safety and peace for Mindi and Dereje Aleme, Tyler and Katie Selby, and their families, in Addis Abbaba, Ethiopia, where they are missionaries
- Ken Perrin, recovering from a bad fall
- Neil Casey for his work in the Peace Corps overseas in Georgia
- Bernice, Bernie James’ mother, as she continues to recover
- Expectant Parents: Leslie and Chris Bauman, and Haley and Zach Love
- The missionaries we support: Mindi and Dereje Aleme (Ethiopia), Joseph Dzamesi (Ghana), Igor Egirev (Russia), and Ruth and Ati Levai (Hungary); and the mission organizations we support: Let’s Start Talking (worldwide), Made in the Streets (Kenya), and Predisan (Honduras)
Events At A Glance
- This Saturday, October 29: Campus Ministry’s Halloween Party (Trunk or Treat is cancelled)
- This Sunday, October 30: Harvest Party at the Warwars’ Ranch
- November 13: Benevolence Contribution Sunday
- December 15: Serving at SOS
Harvest Party — For the second year in a row, the Warwar family would like to invite the entire congregation to a harvest party at their ranch in Moorpark this Sunday, October 30, starting at 3:00 p.m. They’re generously providing burgers, hot dogs, chili, and drinks. Bring a side dish or a dessert to share if you’d like, and don’t forget to bring a pumpkin and carving tools for the contest! Costumes are encouraged but optional. Click here to see the flyer containing other details.
Campus Ministry’s Halloween Party — The party starts at 7:30 p.m. in the Lovernich Commons. Join in on the fun! Come in costume and enjoy free snacks, music, and (weather permitting) a night hike immediately after. PLEASE NOTE: Trunk or Treat before the party has been cancelled.
UCC Minister Search — The University Church of Christ has formed a committee to assist the elders in identifying the next minister of our church. The committee consists of two Pepperdine students, two current ministers, two resident members, and two elders. Regan Schaffer and Jim Gash will co-chair the committee, which will include Jake Bigon, Dusty Breeding, Gillian Chong, Janet Davis, Gary Selby, and Linda Truschke. Our goal is to have a minister identified no later than January of 2017. Here are links to the vision statement, the nomination form, and the application form that all who are interested in being considered should complete at their earliest convenience. Please share these documents with your networks and prayerfully consider whom you might want to nominate for consideration by the committee.
Save the Date for SOS — Our upcoming date to serve dinner at the Standing on Stone ministry is Thursday, December 15. Please mark your calendars and contact Katy Thompson to learn about how you can get involved.
Fall Bible Classes — We have four Bible classes available this fall:
–Shelter from the Storm — Regan and Robby Schaffer invite you to this class that provides a place for members of our church body grow closer as a community as we allow the word of God to shape, define, and nourish us. Each Sunday, we will provide time for fellowship, prayer, and reflection on scripture. Please join this class in Appleby Center 290 at 9:00 a.m.
–Worshiping the Holy God in Our Midst: A Study of Leviticus — Please consider joining this class Danny Mathews is teaching in Appleby Center 286 at 9:00 a.m.
–College Bible Class — Join in at the Fireside Room at 9:00 a.m. on Sundays. Lessons center on a video series with Francis Chan called “The Book of James,” about what it means to truly live out your faith. All ages are welcome!
–Seek Wisdom: A Study of Proverbs — This grad student and young professionals’ class is underway, but it’s never too late to join in! Al and Jody Sturgeon host the class at their Drescher condo (24508 Mariposa Circle) from 9:00-10:00 a.m.
Youth Ministry Updates —
-This Sunday, we’ll be at Dusty and Cecily Breeding’s home (24358 Baxter) for breakfast and Bible class at 9:00 a.m.