Hello, Church Family!
“But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.”
-Jesus, in John 14:26-27
On the heels of the International Day of Peace and more violent acts, let’s remember that Jesus gives us His peace.
- Emily and Jason Jarvis and their family, mourning the loss of baby Raphael John, and physical healing for Emily
- Wisdom for the current elder selection process and for the upcoming preacher search
- Former UCC member Becca Fitzpatrick and family, mourning the loss of Becca’s mother Vici Shoemaker.
- Greg and Ann Skipper, mourning the loss of Greg’s mother
- Family and friends mourning the loss of former UCC member Larry Volter
- For the family and colleagues of Mike Summers (The memorial will be on September 24, at 11:00 a.m. at St. Matthew’s United Methodist Church in Newbury Park. A reception will follow.)
- Ann Skipper, dealing with serious spinal complications
- Safety and peace for Mindi and Dereje Aleme, Tyler and Katie Selby, and their families, surrounded by turmoil and deadly protests in and around Addis Abbaba, Ethiopia, where they are missionaries
- Ken Perrin, recovering from a bad fall
- Neil Casey for his work in the Peace Corps overseas in Georgia
- Nathan Thomas, son of James and Kanet Thomas, undergoing chemo treatments for colon cancer while also working
- Bernice, Bernie James’ mother, as she continues to recover
- Expectant Parents: Leslie and Chris Bauman
Events At A Glance
- September 30: Youth / Children’s Ministry Game Night
- October 30: Harvest Party at the Warwars’ Ranch
Missions Support Available to Members/Students — The UCC missions committee supports our members and students in their efforts to spread the message of Christ. Those with UCC & Pepperdine connections, who need financial support for proposed work, can obtain an application and a copy of the Mission Committee’s aims/priorities by emailing Susan Giboney. Funds are limited.
Youth / Children’s Ministry Game Night — Our youth ministry has a vision to support the students in our children’s ministry in developing a love for Jesus and Christian community from an early age! In light of this, our youth group would like to invite children to a game night at the Breeding’s condo (24358 Baxter) on Friday, September 30, from 6:00-8:00 p.m.! (Please note that the date has been pushed back due to a conflict with Malibu High’s Homecoming.) Our teens will be leading group games and board games geared towards connecting with our children’s ministry. We’ll be serving pizza for dinner and will have other snacks. Students from kindergarten and up are welcome to attend! Parental attendance is not required, but not discouraged either! Please contact Dusty with any questions.
Seeking House Group Hosts — Campus Ministry is seeking hosts for our House Group ministry! If you are willing to host students in your home, contact Dusty or Linda for more info. They are also looking for volunteers to help “assist” another house group host.
Harvest Party — For the second year in a row, the Warwar family would like to invite the entire congregation to a harvest party at their ranch in Moorpark on Sunday, October 30, starting at 3:00 p.m. They’re generously providing burgers, hot dogs, chili, and drinks. Bring a side dish or a dessert to share if you’d like, and don’t forget to bring a pumpkin and carving tools for the contest! Costumes are encouraged but optional. Click here to see the flyer containing other details.
Annie Little’s World Race — At the end of September, Annie Little will launch into a year of international mission work with the World Race organization. Please be praying for her as she begins this new journey! You can follow her adventureshere.
Fall Bible Classes — We have three Bible classes available this fall:
–C. S. Lewis and the Weight of Glory: Experiencing Faith in a New Way — This class, taught by Gary Selby, will continue through October 16. It is held at 9:00 a.m. in Appleby Center 290.
–College Bible Class — Join in at the Fireside Room at 9:00 a.m. on Sundays. Lessons center on a video series with Francis Chan called “The Book of James,” about what it means to truly live out your faith. All ages are welcome!
–Seek Wisdom: A Study of Proverbs — This grad student and young professionals’ class is underway, but it’s never too late to join in! Al and Jody Sturgeon host the class at their Drescher condo (24508 Mariposa Circle) from 9:00-10:00 a.m.
Captioning Services — In an effort to better include members and guests with hearing difficulties, the University Church of Christ will continue to test a captioning service through Sunday, September 25, 2016. The captioning can be viewed on any electronic device with access to the Internet.
To access captions for our worship service, simply email firstname.lastname@example.org and you will immediately be sent back a link. Click the link during worship and read along. The link can be bookmarked for use in future services.
In addition to providing access to members during the service, captioning will also allow others such as shut-ins, missionaries, and vacationers to follow the service in real time at any location.
Please take advantage of this service during this trial period and send your feedback to the elders in consideration of making this a permanent feature.
Serving in the Nursery — A nursery is available for our babies and toddlers during church services. Are you interested in serving in the nursery? To be added to the schedule, please contact Corinne Le.
Youth Ministry Updates —
-Homecoming! The Malibu High Homecoming game is tomorrow, September 23! Gates open at 5:00 p.m. and kickoff is at 6:30 p.m.
-This Sunday, we’ll be at Dusty and Cecily Breeding’s home (24358 Baxter) again for breakfast and Bible class at 9:00 a.m.
-NOTE: Due to Malibu High homecoming night, we pushed the youth group/children’s ministry game night back one week. The date is now Friday, September 30, 6:00-8:00 p.m. at the Breedings’ home (24358 Baxter). Dusty apologizes for any inconvenience.