Hello, Church Family!
“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as we share abundantly in Christ’s sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too.”
-2 Corinthians 1:3-5
As you’ll see as you read through the prayer requests, this has been another week of heartache and hurt for our church family and our community. During these times, may we stand by and comfort each other with the comfort we have received and do receive from Christ.
- Emily and Jason Jarvis and their family, mourning the loss of baby Raphael John, and physical healing for Emily
- Family and friends mourning the loss of Evan Carthen, a first year School of Law student who passed away this week
- Wisdom for the current elder selection process and for the upcoming preacher search
- Former UCC member Becca Fitzpatrick and family, mourning the loss of Becca’s mother Vici Shoemaker. (Condolence cards may be sent to Becca, Thomas, and their girls at 7713 Gunsight Pass, Littleton, CO 80127-3619. The memorial service will be held on September 10 in Albuquerque. Vici asked that, in lieu of flowers, donations be made to Ponderosa Christian Camp, one of her favorite places where she spent so much time with her family.)
- Greg and Ann Skipper, mourning the loss of Greg’s mother
- Family and friends mourning Larry Volter, former long-time member of the University Church who passed away from cancer this week (Memorial services will be held in October. Condolence cards may be sent to his mother, Joan Volter, at 2202 Village Road, Escondido, CA 92026.)
- For the family and colleagues of Mike Summers (Mike, a professor in the Seaver business administration division and beloved friend to many, passed away suddenly last week. The memorial will be on September 24, at 11:00 a.m. at St. Matthew’s United Methodist Church in Newbury Park. A reception will follow.)
- Ann Skipper, dealing with serious spinal complications
- Safety and peace for Mindi and Dereje Aleme and their family, surrounded by turmoil and deadly protests in and around Addis Abbaba, Ethiopia, where they are missionaries; and also for Tyler and Katie Selby, and their daughter Ruby, also in Addis Ababa on the front end of a 4-year mission assignment
- Ken Perrin, recovering from a bad fall
- Neil Casey for his work in the Peace Corps overseas in Georgia
- Nathan Thomas, son of James and Kanet Thomas, undergoing chemo treatments for colon cancer while also working
- Bernice, Bernie James’ mother, as she continues to recover
- Expectant Parents: Leslie and Chris Bauman
Events At A Glance
- THIS SUNDAY, September 11: Brock House Potluck and Fair
- September 23-25: Young Professional / Grad Student Retreat
- October 30: Harvest Party at the Warwars’ Ranch
Brock House Potluck and Fair — This Sunday, September 11, following our church service is our UCC Annual Brock House Church Potluck and Fair. Click here for more details. Members (including upperclassmen), please plan to bring an entree to share.
Potluck Volunteers Needed — Calling any and all able-bodied men, women, and children: please let Kanet Thomas or Stacy Rouse know if you can help with set up. We could use help beginning at 8:00 a.m. with tables, umbrellas, chairs, ice, water, etc. There are also volunteer roles like shopping for items ahead of time, helping with A/V, helping the day of with accepting dishes and putting items on table, etc.
Seeking House Group Hosts — Campus Ministry is seeking hosts for our House Group ministry! If you are willing to host students in your home, contact Dusty or Linda for more info. They are also looking for volunteers to help “assist” another house group host.
Last Sunday to Submit! — Elder Selection — In the process of selecting new elders, we are accepting proposals for potential elders now through Sunday, September 11. Proposal forms and envelopes will be available at the back of Elkins each Sunday morning. Instructions for completing and returning the form are on the form. If you have questions, contact Chris Bauman or Liz Mancuso. You hopefully received an email from Chris Bauman on Saturday, August 20, with additional details on this process. If you did not, please email him so he can forward that message to you.
Fall Bible Classes — We have three Bible classes available this fall:
–Begins this Sunday! C. S. Lewis and the Weight of Glory: Experiencing Faith in a New Way — This class, taught by Gary Selby, begins on September 11 and will continue through October 16. It is held at 9:00 a.m. in Appleby Center 290.
–New! College Bible Class — Join in at the Fireside Room at 9:00 a.m. on Sundays. Lessons center on a video series with Francis Chan called “The Book of James,” about what it means to truly live out your faith. All ages are welcome!
–Seek Wisdom: A Study of Proverbs — This grad student and young professionals’ class is underway, but it’s never too late to join in! Al and Jody Sturgeon host the class at their Drescher condo (24508 Mariposa Circle) from 9:00-10:00 a.m.
Captioning Services — In an effort to better include members and guests with hearing difficulties, the University Church of Christ will continue to test a captioning service through Sunday, September 25, 2016. The captioning can be viewed on any electronic device with access to the Internet.
To access captions for our worship service, simply email firstname.lastname@example.org and you will immediately be sent back a link. Click the link during worship and read along. The link can be bookmarked for use in future services.
In addition to providing access to members during the service, captioning will also allow others such as shut-ins, missionaries, and vacationers to follow the service in real time at any location.
Please take advantage of this service during this trial period and send your feedback to the elders in consideration of making this a permanent feature.
Harvest Party — For the second year in a row, the Warwar family would like to invite the entire congregation to a harvest party at their ranch in Moorpark on Sunday, October 30, starting at 3:00 p.m. They’re generously providing burgers, hot dogs, chili, and drinks. Bring a side dish or a dessert to share if you’d like, and don’t forget to bring a pumpkin and carving tools for the contest! Costumes are encouraged but optional. Click here to see the flyer containing other details.
Serving in the Nursery — A nursery is available for our babies and toddlers during church services. Are you interested in serving in the nursery? To be added to the schedule, please contact Corinne Le.
Young Professional / Grad Student Retreat — The 2016 Mountaintop Retreat is an area-wide event for young professionals and graduate students in Big Bear, CA, September 23-25. This year’s theme is Worship: “We’ll worship and reflect on how God is forming us through the songs we sing together.” Dave Lemley is the guest speaker, with worship led by James Sheldon from host church Glendale Church of Christ. Click here for more info and registration.
Youth Ministry Updates —
-This Sunday, meet at President Benton’s house at 8:00 a.m. to help set up for the Brock House potluck and fair! We need all the help we can get. After setting up, we’ll transition to Dusty and Cecily Breeding’s home for Bible class and breakfast around 9:00 a.m.