Hello, Church Family!
God’s word promises us an eternal home where “. . . night will be no more. They will need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever and ever . . . Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!” (Revelation 22, verses 5 and 20b)
Between the now and not yet, we’re shrouded in the darkness of sickness and death, but called to hope in Jesus and shine His light as testament to His promise. Thank you, Becca Fitzpatrick, for shining alongside your momma in the midst of darkness over the last year. Come, Lord Jesus, come!
- Wisdom for the current elder selection process and for the upcoming preacher search
- Former UCC member Becca Fitzpatrick and family, mourning the loss of Becca’s mother Vici Shoemaker. (Vici passed away yesterday afternoon. Condolence cards may be sent to Becca, Thomas, and their girls at 7713 Gunsight Pass, Littleton, CO 80127-3619. The memorial service will be held on September 10. Vici asked that, in lieu of flowers, donations be made to Ponderosa Christian Camp.)
- Greg and Ann Skipper, mourning the loss of Greg’s mother
- Family and friends mourning Larry Volter, former long-time member of the University Church who passed away from cancer this week (Memorial services will be held in October. Condolence cards may be sent to his mother, Joan Volter, at 2202 Village Road, Escondido, CA 92026.)
- For the family and colleagues of Mike Summers (Mike, a professor in the Seaver business administration division and beloved friend to many, passed away suddenly last week. The memorial will be on September 24, at 11:00 a.m. at St. Matthew’s United Methodist Church in Newbury Park. A reception will follow.)
- Ann Skipper, dealing with serious spinal complications
- Safety and peace for Mindi and Dereje Aleme and their family, surrounded by turmoil and deadly protests in and around Addis Abbaba, Ethiopia, where they are missionaries
- Ken Perrin, recovering from a bad fall
- Neil Casey for his work in the Peace Corps overseas in Georgia
- Nathan Thomas, son of James and Kanet Thomas, undergoing chemo treatments for colon cancer while also working
- Bernice, Bernie James’ mother, as she continues to recover
- Expectant Parents: Leslie and Chris Bauman, and Emily and Jason Jarvis
Events At A Glance
- This Weekend: Base Camp (New Student Retreat for which registration has closed due to reaching max. capacity of 50 students! Awesome!)
- September 11: Brock House Potluck and Fair
- September 23-25: Young Professional / Grad Student Retreat
- October 30: Harvest Party at the Warwars’ Ranch
Details for This Sunday — Due to people away for Labor Day weekend and Base Camp, we will not have an overflow service this Sunday. The children will be back in Elkins for the beginning of service, dismissed to Children’s Worship at the appropriate time. Youth group and Children’s Bible classes will meet at 9:00 a.m., as well as the Proverbs class hosted by the Sturgeons at their condo.
Brock House Potluck and Fair — Sunday, September 11, following our church service is our UCC Annual Brock House Church Potluck and Fair. Click here for more details. Members, please plan to bring an entree to share.
Potluck Volunteers Needed — Calling any and all able-bodied men, women, and children: please let Kanet Thomas or Stacy Rouse know if you can help with set up. We could use help beginning at 8:00 a.m. with tables, umbrellas, chairs, ice, water, etc. There are also volunteer roles like shopping for items ahead of time, helping with A/V, helping the day of with accepting dishes and putting items on table, etc.
Elder Selection — In the process of selecting new elders, we are accepting proposals for potential elders now through Sunday, September 11. Proposal forms and envelopes will be available at the back of Elkins each Sunday morning. Instructions for completing and returning the form are on the form. If you have questions, contact Chris Bauman or Liz Mancuso. You hopefully received an email from Chris Bauman on Saturday, August 20, with additional details on this process. If you did not, please email him so he can forward that message to you.
Fall Adult Bible Classes — We have two new Bible classes available this fall:
–C. S. Lewis and the Weight of Glory: Experiencing Faith in a New Way — This class, taught by Gary Selby, begins on September 11 and will continue through October 16. It is held at 9:00 a.m. in Appleby Center 280.
–Seek Wisdom: A Study of Proverbs — This grad student and young professionals’ class is underway, but it’s never too late to join in! Al and Jody Sturgeon host the class at their Drescher condo (24508 Mariposa Circle) from 9:00-10:00 a.m.
Harvest Party — For the second year in a row, the Warwar family would like to invite the entire congregation to a harvest party at their ranch in Moorpark on Sunday, October 30, starting at 3:00 p.m. They’re generously providing burgers, hot dogs, chili, and drinks. Bring a side dish or a dessert to share if you’d like, and don’t forget to bring a pumpkin and carving tools for the contest! Costumes are encouraged but optional. Click here to see the flyer containing other details.
Serving in the Nursery — A nursery is available for our babies and toddlers during church services. Are you interested in serving in the nursery? To be added to the schedule, please contact Corinne Le.
Young Professional / Grad Student Retreat — The 2016 Mountaintop Retreat is an area-wide event for young professionals and graduate students in Big Bear, CA, September 23-25. This year’s theme is Worship: “We’ll worship and reflect on how God is forming us through the songs we sing together.” Dave Lemley is the guest speaker, with worship led by James Sheldon from host church Glendale Church of Christ. Click here for more info and registration. (Save $10 when you register before September 1!)
Youth Ministry Updates —
-This Sunday, head over to the home of Justin, Eric, and Linda Truschke for Bible class at 9:00 a.m.! Their address is 24337 Baxter Drive, Malibu, CA 90265.