Hello, Church Family!
“But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”
-Jesus, in John 4:23-24
May we continue to learn about what it means to worship in spirit and in truth, on Sundays and every day. A huge “thank you” to Dave Lemley for leading us in studying John 4 at the Young Professional / Grad Student Retreat last weekend.
- Emily and Jason Jarvis and their family, mourning the loss of baby Raphael John, and physical healing for Emily
- Wisdom for the current elder selection process and for the upcoming preacher search
- Former UCC member Becca Fitzpatrick and family, mourning the loss of Becca’s mother Vici Shoemaker.
- Greg and Ann Skipper, mourning the loss of Greg’s mother
- Ann Skipper, dealing with serious spinal complications
- Safety and peace for Mindi and Dereje Aleme, Tyler and Katie Selby, and their families, surrounded by turmoil and deadly protests in and around Addis Abbaba, Ethiopia, where they are missionaries
- Ken Perrin, recovering from a bad fall
- Neil Casey for his work in the Peace Corps overseas in Georgia
- Nathan Thomas, son of James and Kanet Thomas, undergoing chemo treatments for colon cancer while also working
- Bernice, Bernie James’ mother, as she continues to recover
- Expectant Parents: Leslie and Chris Bauman, and Haley and Zach Love
Events At A Glance
- Tomorrow, September 30: Youth / Children’s Ministry Game Night
- October 18: Campus Ministry Campout
- October 20: Serving at SOS
- October 30: Harvest Party at the Warwars’ Ranch
- December 15: Serving at SOS
Campus Ministry Campout — Mark your calendars for this campout coming up on Tuesday night, October 18, at Thornhill Broome beach. More details to come!
Save the Date for SOS — Our upcoming dates to serve dinner at the Standing on Stone ministry are Thursdays, October 20 and December 15. Please mark your calendars and contact Katy Thompson to learn about how you can get involved.
TOMORROW — Youth / Children’s Ministry Game Night — Our youth ministry has a vision to support the students in our children’s ministry in developing a love for Jesus and Christian community from an early age! In light of this, our youth group would like to invite children to a game night at the Breeding’s condo (24358 Baxter) tomorrow (Friday, September 30), from 6:00-8:00 p.m.! Our teens will be leading group games and board games geared towards connecting with our children’s ministry. We’ll be serving pizza for dinner and will have other snacks. Students from kindergarten and up are welcome to attend! Parental attendance is not required, but not discouraged either! Please contact Dusty with any questions.
Fall Bible Classes — We have four Bible classes available this fall:
–New Adult Bible Class Starting October 23: Danny Mathews will be teaching “Worshiping the Holy God in Our Midst: A Study of Leviticus.” Please consider joining this class in Appleby Center 286 at 9:00 a.m., beginning October 23.
–C. S. Lewis and the Weight of Glory: Experiencing Faith in a New Way — This class, taught by Gary Selby, will continue through October 16. It is held at 9:00 a.m. in Appleby Center 290.
–College Bible Class — Join in at the Fireside Room at 9:00 a.m. on Sundays. Lessons center on a video series with Francis Chan called “The Book of James,” about what it means to truly live out your faith. All ages are welcome!
–Seek Wisdom: A Study of Proverbs — This grad student and young professionals’ class is underway, but it’s never too late to join in! Al and Jody Sturgeon host the class at their Drescher condo (24508 Mariposa Circle) from 9:00-10:00 a.m.
Harvest Party — For the second year in a row, the Warwar family would like to invite the entire congregation to a harvest party at their ranch in Moorpark on Sunday, October 30, starting at 3:00 p.m. They’re generously providing burgers, hot dogs, chili, and drinks. Bring a side dish or a dessert to share if you’d like, and don’t forget to bring a pumpkin and carving tools for the contest! Costumes are encouraged but optional. Click here to see the flyer containing other details.
Missions Support Available to Members/Students — The UCC missions committee supports our members and students in their efforts to spread the message of Christ. Those with UCC & Pepperdine connections, who need financial support for proposed work, can obtain an application and a copy of the Mission Committee’s aims/priorities by emailing Susan Giboney. Funds are limited.
Serving in the Nursery — A nursery is available for our babies and toddlers during church services. Are you interested in serving in the nursery? To be added to the schedule, please contact Corinne Le.
Annie Little’s World Race — Annie Little is launching into a year of international mission work with the World Race organization. Please be praying for her as she begins this new journey! You can follow her adventures here.
Youth Ministry Updates —
-This Sunday, we’ll be at Dusty and Cecily Breeding’s home (24358 Baxter) again for breakfast and Bible class at 9:00 a.m.