Hello, Church Family!
“Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.”
-Jesus, in Matthew 6:1-4
When I was in college, one of my friends started a subset club of Campus Ministry called ARK (“Acts of Random Kindness”). They would go around campus, blessing people with anonymous treats and notes of encouragement. What can we each do in secret this week to give to the financially needy, the emotionally needy, or the other people God has placed in our paths?
- Safety and peace for Mindi and Dereje Aleme and their family, surrounded by turmoil and deadly protests in and around Addis Abbaba, Ethiopia, where they are missionaries
- Ken Perrin, recovering from a bad fall
- Shannon Warwar, recovering from a bad fall
- Vici Shoemaker, mother of former UCC member Becca Fitzpatrick, who has entered into hospice care (You can get details on this update and share encouragement here.)
- Neil Casey for his work in the Peace Corps overseas in Georgia
- Nathan Thomas, son of James and Kanet Thomas, undergoing chemo treatments for colon cancer while also working
- Bernice, Bernie James’ mother, as she continues to recover
- Expectant Parents: Leslie and Chris Bauman, and Emily and Jason Jarvis
Events At A Glance
- August 18: Serving at SOS
- August 28: New Student and Parent Dessert Reception
- September 2-4: Base Camp (New Student Retreat)
- September 23-25: Young Professional / Grad Student Retreat
Bible Class with Eric Wilson This Sunday — This Sunday, August 14, the adult Bible class entitled, “Revival: Empowered by the Holy Spirit,” will be led by Eric Wilson. The class will be held in AC 286 at 9:00 a.m. All are welcome!
New Student and Parent Dessert Reception — Sunday, August 28, we are hosting a dessert reception for new students and their parents immediately following our worship service. Instead of greeting them outside Fieldhouse Fieldhouse this year, we are trying something new, but the goal is the same: get to know our new students and their families. Please plan to bring cookies, brownies, or other light finger desserts with you to church that morning.
Young Professional / Grad Student Retreat — The 2016 Mountaintop Retreat is an area-wide event for young professionals and graduate students in Big Bear, CA, September 23-25. This year’s theme is Worship: “We’ll worship and reflect on how God is forming us through the songs we sing together.” Dave Lemley is the guest speaker, with worship led by James Sheldon from host church Glendale Church of Christ. Click here for more info and registration. (Save $10 when you register before September 1!)
Base Camp — Linda Truschke and Dusty Breeding are excited to announce the launch of a weekend retreat specifically for incoming Pepperdine students and transfers happening over Labor Day Weekend called Base Camp. “The next four years start here. Spend the weekend with our campus ministry to set your foundation in faith as you begin your time at Pepperdine.” Click here to learn more.
Serving at SOS — August 18 — Mark your calendars with our upcoming SOS date, August 18. Please contact Katy Thompson for information about what food you can bring and how you can serve on this date.
Farewell to the Kemmerers — We are so thankful for the blessings Tyler, Rebecca, James, and Elise Kemmerer have been to the University Church for the past few years. As the Kemmerers move to Shanghai to be the Pepperdine International Program faculty family, we want to wish them well as they most likely will not return to Pepperdine after the 2016-2017 academic year concludes. Please look for the copy of Above Los Angeles to sign on the back bench of Elkins this Sunday.