Hello, Church Family!
“Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.”
-1 Corinthians 9:24-27
The opening ceremony for the Summer Olympics is tomorrow! As we watch these awesome athletes compete, let’s be inspired to give everything we have in our spiritual race.
- Elizabeth and Johnny Coleman, for a smooth transition to a family of four after welcoming Katherine Jane Coleman into the world at 11:46 a.m. on July 25 (8lbs, 3oz; 20.5 inches)
- Ken Perrin, recovering from a bad fall
- Shannon Warwar, recovering from a bad fall
- Vici Shoemaker, mother of former UCC member Becca Fitzpatrick, who might soon go into hospice care while also hoping for a clinical trial to become available (You can get details on this update and share encouragement here.)
- Neil Casey for his work in the Peace Corps overseas in Georgia
- Nathan Thomas, son of James and Kanet Thomas, undergoing chemo treatments for colon cancer while also working
- Bernice, Bernie James’ mother, as she continues to recover
- Expectant Parents: Leslie and Chris Bauman
Events At A Glance
- THIS SUNDAY, August 7: Taste of Kenya “Thank You” Lunch
- August 18: Serving at SOS
No Bible Class This Sunday — This Sunday, August 7, there will be NO adult Bible class. Class will resume on August 14 with Eric Wilson teaching a lesson entitled “Revival: Empowered by the Holy Spirit.”
THIS SUNDAY — Taste of Kenya “Thank You” Lunch — The Kenya team is thankful for your love and involvement in the youth group trip to Kenya for Made in the Streets! In gratefulness, please plan to attend their “Taste of Kenya” thank you lunch. They will serve you an authentic meal of Chapati (very good bread!!), grilled meat made with Kenyan spices, fruit, and more on Sunday, August 7, after church at Baxter Park on campus.
Serving at SOS — August 18 — Mark your calendars with our upcoming SOS date, August 18. Please contact Katy Thompson for information about what food you can bring and how you can serve on this date.
Farewell to the Kemmerers — We are so thankful for the blessings Tyler, Rebecca, James, and Elise Kemmerer have been to the University Church for the past few years. As the Kemmerers move to Shanghai to be the Pepperdine International Program faculty family, we want to wish them well as they most likely will not return to Pepperdine after the 2016-2017 academic year concludes. Please look for the copy of Above Los Angeles to sign on the back bench of Elkins over the next few Sundays.
Youth Ministry Updates
-Tomorrow, August 5, we will be going to the James Storehouse in an effort to continue with our summer theme of service! We will meet at the Breedings’ home at 8:30 a.m. Please come and bring your friends to help better our community!