Hello, church family!
“Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the straps of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke? Is it not to share your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover him, and not to hide yourself from your own flesh? Then shall your light break forth like the dawn, and your healing shall spring up speedily; your righteousness shall go before you; the glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard.”
Another week of tragic news. Let’s not become paralyzed, but instead let’s get out there and practice this kind of fasting.
- Ashleigh and Ryan Brunsink, and their baby Eleanor Martell, and Kelly and Alan Heida, and their baby Charlotte Terri, for smooth and joyful transitions to families of three.
- Diana Maiorca’s student and that student’s family (including mother and older brother), in shock and grieving the loss of the student’s father.
- Brad Griffin’s cousin Holly Hurst and her young son and family, mourning the loss of Holly’s husband George.
- Neil Casey for his work in the Peace Corps overseas in Georgia.
- William Bridgeforth, Connie James’ brother, and his family on the loss of his wife of 43 years, Sarah.
- Vici Shoemaker, mother of former UCC member Becca Fitzpatrick, who is undergoing chemo. You can get updates and share encouragement here.
- Nathan Thomas, son of James and Kanet Thomas, undergoing chemo treatments for colon cancer while also working.
- Bernice, Bernie James’ mother, as she continues to recover.
- Expectant Parents: Elizabeth and Johnny Coleman
- Upcoming Trip: Trek Iceland Leadership Trip (July 9-17)
Events At A Glance
- July 18: Lambert Goodbye Reception
Celebrate! — “While hiking in the Sierra Mountains last week, Landon Brewster chose to be baptized in an ice cold mountain lake. We celebrate his public declaration of faith, and his decision to be baptized as a follower of Jesus Christ. We offer our thanks to all of you for being Landon’s church family; for blessing him with your teaching, encouragement, and your example. –Jay, Stephanie, Reagan and Keaton Brewster”
UCC Adult Bible Class — This week’s adult Bible class (July 10) will be taught by Helen Holmlund and is entitled, “Renewal Modeled by God’s Creation.” Helen is a graduate of Oklahoma Christian University who has done extensive research with Dr. Steve Davis, studying the ecology of the Santa Monica Mountains. Please join us for what will certainly be a fascinating class. The adult class is held in Appleby Center 286 at 9:00 a.m. All are welcome!
Goodbye Reception for Scott and Kim Lambert — Rick and Paula Marrs are hosting a reception on Monday, July 18, at 7:00 p.m. at the Mallmann House for Scott and Kim Lambert. The Lamberts are moving to Texas where Scott will be the new Executive Director of Let’s Start Talking and Kim will be working with LST alumni relations, donor development, and community outreach. Please come to the reception to encourage the Lamberts and wish them well.
Captioning Services — In an effort to better include members and guests with hearing difficulties, the University Church of Christ will be testing a captioning service during the month of July. The captioning can be viewed on any electronic device with access to the Internet.
To access captions for our worship service, simply email email@example.com and you will immediately be sent back a link. Click the link during worship and read along. The link can be bookmarked for use in future services.
In addition to providing access to members during the service, captioning will also allow others such as shut-ins, missionaries and vacationers to follow the service in real time at any location.
Please take advantage of this service in July and send your feedback to the elders in consideration of making this a permanent feature.
Youth Ministry Updates
–This Friday, July 8, at 11:00 a.m., Steve Davis will be leading the youth group on a nature hike! Come and bring friends! We will leave from Dusty’s.
–This Saturday, July 9, at 10:30 a.m., we will be making labor exchange lunches at Dusty’s house! Don’t miss this opportunity to serve!
-“Think Global, Act Local” is the theme of the the summer. Dive into a theology of service to our local community. Get involved. Contact Dusty Breeding for more details.
–The dates for King’s Kamp this summer are July 31-August 6. The camp will again be held in the mountains of Idyllwild. This year’s theme is “The Faith Awakens” and will play off of the Star Wars Light vs. Darkness theme with each day presented as a different episode. Our theme Bible verse is 1 John 1:5. It promises to be both meaningful and fun! Register now!
-The dates for Teen Camp this summer are July 17-23. Register now! This year we are exploring the theme of “Beyond.” We can’t wait to share with teens from all across Southern California how God shows His love beyond what we could ask or imagine, and how he calls and equips us to live beyond ourselves.