As I guest blog today, I’d like to share one of my favorite blessings with you from Romans 15:13 “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday and sharing with each other how God has given us hope, joy, and/or peace this week. -Kari Coppinger
- MITS Mission Trip (now through June 30)—If you’ve seen any of their pictures on Facebook, you have seen the joy that comes from serving and the love and joy of the students and staff at MITS.
- Praise God for the safe arrival of healthy baby girls born this past week to former members Ashleigh and Ryan Brunsink (Eleanor Martell Brunsink, 6/18/16 – 6 lbs 8 oz – 18.5 in.) and to Kelly and Alan Heida (Charlotte Terri Heida 6/21/16 – 7lbs 14oz – 21 inches).
- Carolyn Nicks, for continued healing from her two surgeries and hospitalization
- Mary Adams, for continued healing
- Diana Maiorca’s student and that student’s family (including mother and older brother), in shock and grieving the loss of the student’s father.
- Brad Griffin’s cousin Holly Hurst and her young son and family, mourning the loss of Holly’s husband George.
- Donna Nofziger Plank and Kimberly Ex-Hill and family, mourning the loss of Donna and Kim’s mother, Barbara Nofziger.
- Neil Casey for his work in the Peace Corps overseas in Georgia.
- William Bridgeforth, Connie James’ brother, and his family on the loss of his wife of 43 years, Sarah.
- Vici Shoemaker, mother of former UCC member Becca Fitzpatrick. Her current treatment is not having the desired, positive effect. You can get updates and share encouragement here.
- Nathan Thomas, son of James and Kanet Thomas, undergoing chemo treatments for colon cancer while also working.
- Bernice, Bernie James’ mother, as she continues to recover.
- Expectant Parents: Elizabeth and Johnny Coleman
- Upcoming Trip: Trek Iceland Leadership Trip (July 9-17, led by Dusty and Cecily Breeding)
Events At A Glance
- July 18- Goodbye Reception for Scott and Kim Lambert, Mallman House, 7 p.m.
UCC Adult Bible Class — This Sunday (June 26) Greg Warwar will be leading the adult bible class under our theme of “Rest, Renewal, Revival.” Greg’s class is entitled “Renovate or Replace.” Please join us in Appleby Center 286 (AC286) at 9 a.m. for this wonderful time of study and fellowship. All are welcome.
Goodbye Reception for Scott and Kim Lambert — Rick and Paula Marrs are hosting a reception on Monday, July 18, at 7 pm at the Mallmann House for Scott and Kim Lambert. The Lamberts are moving to TX where Scott will be the new Executive Director of Let’s Start Talking and Kim will be working with LST alumni relations, donor development and community outreach. Please come to the reception to encourage the Lamberts and wish them well.
Captioning Services — in an effort to better include members and guests with hearing difficulties, the University Church of Christ will be testing a captioning service during the month of July. The captioning can be viewed on any electronic device with access to the Internet. Those wishing to use the service will send an email and will immediately receive a permanent link. Click the link during worship and read along. The link can be bookmarked for use in future services. (The email address will be on the announcement slides before church next week as well as included in the blog.)
In addition to providing access to members during the service, captioning will also allow others such as shut-ins, missionaries and vacationers to follow the service in real time at any location.
Please take advantage of this service in July and send your feedback to the elders in consideration of making this a permanent feature.
Community Bible Study — CBS, a non-denominational women’s Bible study here in Malibu, is taking registrations for next year’s class. Class meets every Tuesday at Malibu Presbyterian Church, beginning September 13, from 9:45 a.m. until noon. Bible classes are also available for nursery – preschool children. Cost: $35 for the year. The study is entitled “Red Sea to the Jordan” and will cover the life of Moses. CBS is a blessing to the Malibu community and we would love to have you join us! Please contact Linn Griffin if you’re interested.
Youth Ministry Updates
– Beginning this Monday, June 20th, the Girl’s Bible Study will be held at the Gash’s home from 1:30-2:30 p.m. Bring your Bible!
-This Tuesday, June 21st, we will be going to a bonfire mixer with several other LA area youth groups in El Segundo. We will be leaving campus at 4 p.m. and are planning to return by 10 p.m. Bring something to sit on at the beach!
– Biker Themed Tacky Prom. Join us on Alumni Field on Saturday, June 25th at 5 p.m. for “prom pictures” and an adventure afterward! You will need $20 for food and the adventure! Come dressed up and ready to have fun!
-Please click here for the full June calendar of events. “Think Global, Act Local” is the theme of the the summer. Dive into a theology of service to our local community. Get involved. Contact Dusty Breeding for more details.
–The dates for King’s Kamp this summer are July 31-August 6. The camp will again be held in the mountains of Idyllwild. This year’s theme is “The Faith Awakens” and will play off of the Star Wars Light vs. Darkness theme with each day presented as a different episode. Our theme Bible verse is 1 John 1:5. It promises to be both meaningful and fun! Register now!
-The dates for Teen Camp this summer are July 17-23. Register now! This year we are exploring the theme of “Beyond.” We can’t wait to share with teens from all across Southern California how God shows His love beyond what we could ask or imagine, and how he calls and equips us to live beyond ourselves.