Hello, church family!
“Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.
“Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.”
- Donna Nofziger Plank and Kimberly Ex-Hill and family, mourning the loss of Donna and Kim’s mother, Barbara Nofziger, who passed away on Tuesday, May 11. Please join us in praying for and extending love to Donna, Kim, and their family who are in immense pain over this great loss.
- Pat Dowdey, for rest and recovery as she heals from her knee surgery that went well
- Neil Casey for his work in the Peace Corps overseas in Georgia.
- William Bridgeforth, Connie James’ brother, and his family on the loss of his wife of 43 years, Sarah.
- Family and friends mourning the loss of O’Shae Imes, Rmani Crawford’s friend, especially for O’Shae’s mother Melissa.
- Vici Shoemaker, mother of former UCC member Becca Fitzpatrick, who is undergoing chemo. You can get updates and share encouragement here.
- Nathan Thomas, son of James and Kanet Thomas, undergoing chemo treatments for colon cancer while also working.
- Yo Shen Cupp, son of Brad and Stephanie, healing from his March 11 surgery.
- Bernice, Bernie James’ mother, as she continues to recover.
- Expectant Parents: Elizabeth and Johnny Coleman
- Upcoming Trips: MITS Mission Trip (June 15-30) and Trek Iceland Leadership Trip (July 9-17)
Events At A Glance
- May 22: Farewell to Stuart and D’Esta Love
- June 16: Serving at SOS
- July 17-23: Teen Camp
- July 31 – August 6: King’s Kamp
This Sunday, May 15 — At 9:00 a.m. in Plaza Classroom 189, Konstantine Zigulin and Psalom will be with us from St. Petersburg, Russia. They will teach us three new songs that they have written. Please join us — all are welcome! Then, at 10:15 a.m. in Elkins, Stuart and D’Esta Love will lead the church in an extended meditation on Jesus and his sacrifice, with special focus on the Lord’s Supper (“Resting at the Table of the Lord”).
Volunteer Greeters Needed! — For the next four Sundays, our amazing greeter Dan Martin will be out of town. Call or text Allen Nelson (310-266-8547) if you can help out May 15, May 22, May 29, and/or June 5. You would need to be able to arrive at Elkins between 9:00 and 9:30 a.m.
Farewell to Stuart and D’Esta Love — Join us in saying goodbye and celebrating Stuart and D’Esta Love on Sunday, May 22, at the home of Claudette and John Wilson, 24410 Tiner Court, immediately following church. Parking will be available on President’s Drive, on the side of the driveway going up, and in the driveway of Rick and Paula Marrs’ home. There will be an Italian-themed potluck for the food, and we ask every to bring one main dish and one side dish or dessert. Please try to bring your food fully prepped, as only a small space will be available for prep for those that need it. There will also be a short time of blessing and sharing what they mean to us and how they’ve changed us. Please call or email Stacy Rouse or Shannon Warwar if you’d like to help more directly with any aspect of the potluck.
Sermon Notes — Here is the full outline including the quote from The Imitation of Christ from Ron Highfield’s sermon, “A Season of Rest, Renewal, and Revival,” that he preached last week.
A Letter from Geneve — Please click here to read a letter from Geneve Ruddock thanking you for praying for her during her recent trip to India and describing her time there with words and pictures.
Serving at SOS — Mark your calendars with our upcoming SOS date, June 16. Please contact Katy Thompson for information about what food you can bring and how you can serve on this date.
Youth Ministry Updates
-“Think Global, Act Local” is the theme of the the summer. Dive into a theology of service to our local community. Get involved. Contact Dusty Breeding for more details.
-The dates for King’s Kamp this summer are July 31-August 6. The camp will again be held in the mountains of Idyllwild. Cost for this year’s camp is $345 per camper, provided you register by July 1. After July 1, registration goes up to $370 per camper. There is also an early bird discount: If registration is received by June 1, the cost is $320, so register soon to save! We are also offering a discounted fee for each additional sibling coming to camp of $299. (Contact Dusty if you’re interested in serving as a King’s Kamp counselor this summer.)
-The dates for Teen Camp this summer are July 17-23. Early bird deadline is April 29. Register now to save!
Caretaker Wanted — Corinne and Hung Le have a friend here in Malibu who is looking for an occasional evening caretaker for her 85-year-old father who lives with them. He is mentally sharp but has some mobility issues due to Parkinson’s Disease. They live in Malibu Country Estates. Please contact Marie Wexler (310-425-9551) if you are interested.
House Swap Opportunity — Peggy Langford (a friend of Claudia Sangster and Pepperdine alumna) has a son who is teaching at Pepperdine during the month of May. She and her family of 6 are planning a trip to Malibu to see Andrew May 28-30 (Memorial Day weekend), and they are looking for a place close enough to maximize their time together as a family. Would you be willing to swap houses with them for that time frame? They have Monterey Bay Aquarium guest passes to throw in, along with free entry to Pt. Lobos (a beautiful place to hike) and convenient proximity to Big Sur, wineries, and other vacation jaunts. For more details and to get connected with Peggy, please contact Claudia Sangster directly.