Hello, church family!
I was called into jury duty for the first time today. I didn’t get placed on a jury panel, but it reminded me of how we as the body of Christ are called to act…despite sometimes being tempted to be bitter, vengeful, and litigious.
“Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.”
Today, may we remember to forgive instead of plot against, to love instead of hate.
- Brad Griffin’s cousin Holly Hurst and her young son and family, mourning the loss of Holly’s husband George, age 35, who died unexpectedly from a heart attack in their home state of Tennessee.
- Donna Nofziger Plank and Kimberly Ex-Hill and family, mourning the loss of Donna and Kim’s mother, Barbara Nofziger.
- Pat Dowdey, for rest and recovery as she heals from her knee surgery that went well.
- Neil Casey for his work in the Peace Corps overseas in Georgia.
- William Bridgeforth, Connie James’ brother, and his family on the loss of his wife of 43 years, Sarah.
- Family and friends mourning the loss of O’Shae Imes, Rmani Crawford’s friend, especially for O’Shae’s mother Melissa.
- Vici Shoemaker, mother of former UCC member Becca Fitzpatrick, who is undergoing chemo. You can get updates and share encouragement here.
- Nathan Thomas, son of James and Kanet Thomas, undergoing chemo treatments for colon cancer while also working.
- Bernice, Bernie James’ mother, as she continues to recover.
- Expectant Parents: Elizabeth and Johnny Coleman
- Upcoming Trips: MITS Mission Trip (June 15-30) and Trek Iceland Leadership Trip (July 9-17)
Events At A Glance
- THIS SUNDAY: Unity Worship Service
- June 5: Honoring Our High School Seniors
- June 16: Serving at SOS
-Kindergarten to 2nd Grade: Plaza Classroom 189
-3rd to 5th Grade: Plaza Classroom 188
Unity Worship Service — THIS SUNDAY — This Sunday, May 29, at 6:00 p.m., a Unity Worship service will be taking place at the Reseda Church of Christ. The objective is to bring together the churches of Christ of all ethnicities in the San Fernando Valley, Ventura Country, and the Santa Clarita Valley in order to foster unity and promote an appreciation for diversity among our various congregations. Andy Wall extended this invite to us at UCC because he wants to also include friends from LA County! The evening will begin at 5:30 with special presentations by singing groups, followed by the worship service at 6:00.
Volunteer Greeters Needed! — For the next two Sundays, our amazing greeter Dan Martin will be out of town. Call or text Allen Nelson (310-266-8547) if you can help out May 29 and/or June 5. You would need to be able to arrive at Elkins between 9:00 and 9:30 a.m.
Celebrate our Seniors! — On Sunday, June 5, the University Church will honor our graduating high school seniors. A special time during the worship service will recognize these teens. Immediately following worship, there will be a lunch at the Mariposa pool house in their honor. Save the date and keep your eye out for more details to come!
Community Bible Study — CBS, a non-denominational women’s Bible study here in Malibu, is taking registrations for next year’s class. Class meets every Tuesdays at Malibu Presbyterian Church, beginning September 13, from 9:45 a.m. until noon. Bible classes are also available for nursery – preschool children. Cost: $35 for the year. The study is entitled “Red Sea to the Jordan” and will cover the life of Moses. CBS is a blessing to the Malibu community and we would love to have you join us! Please contact Linn Griffin if you’re interested.
Serving at SOS — Mark your calendars with our upcoming SOS date, June 16. Please contact Katy Thompson for information about what food you can bring and how you can serve on this date.
Youth Ministry Updates
-Labor Exchange Lunch Making THIS Saturday: This Saturday, May 28, the youth group will meet at the Rouse’s house at 10:30 a.m. for Labor Exchange lunch making. This is an awesome opportunity to serve and give back to the community! See you then/there!
-Honorary Service Award for the Breedings: Today (May 26), Dusty and Cecily will be honored by the Malibu High School PTSA for their commitment to mentoring teens in the Malibu area. Please congratulate them!
-“Think Global, Act Local” is the theme of the the summer. Dive into a theology of service to our local community. Get involved. Contact Dusty Breeding for more details.
–The King’s Kamp Early Registration discount period ends in 1 week! Register online now in order to receive the Early Bird discount. The dates for King’s Kamp this summer are July 31-August 6. The camp will again be held in the mountains of Idyllwild. This year’s theme is “The Faith Awakens” and will play off of the Star Wars Light vs. Darkness theme with each day presented as a different episode. Our theme Bible verse is 1 John 1:5. It promises to be both meaningful and fun!
-The dates for Teen Camp this summer are July 17-23. Register now! This year we are exploring the theme of “Beyond.” We can’t wait to share with teens from all across Southern California how God shows His love beyond what we could ask or imagine, and how he calls and equips us to live beyond ourselves.