Hello, church family!
“And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom,singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”
- Neil Casey for a smooth transition as he begins to work in the Peace Corps overseas in Georgia.
- William Bridgeforth, Connie James’ brother, and his family on the loss of his wife of 43 years, Sarah.
- Family and friends mourning the loss of O’Shae Imes, Rmani Crawford’s friend, especially for O’Shae’s mother Melissa.
- Vici Shoemaker, mother of former UCC member Becca Fitzpatrick, who is undergoing chemo. You can get updates and share encouragement here.
- Nathan Thomas, son of James and Kanet Thomas, undergoing chemo treatments for colon cancer while also working.
- Yo Shen Cupp, son of Brad and Stephanie, healing from his March 11 surgery.
- D’Esta Love, continuing to heal and strengthen following her surgery.
- Bernice, Bernie James’ mother, as she continues to recover.
- Expectant Parents: Elizabeth and Johnny Coleman
- Upcoming Trips: MITS Mission Trip (June 15-30) and Trek Iceland Leadership Trip (July 9-17)
Events At A Glance
- THIS SUNDAY, May 1: Tacos and Crepes
- May 3-6: Pepperdine Bible Lectures
- May 8: Summer Sermon/Worship Series Begins
- May 12-14: The Ascending Voice
- May 22: Farewell to Stuart and D’Esta Love (SAVE THE DATE)
- June 16: Serving at SOS
- July 17-23: Teen Camp
- July 31 – August 6: King’s Kamp
Tacos and Crepes! — THIS SUNDAY, May 1 — Please join the UCC youth group MITS-bound team for a fundraiser lunch at Drescher park after church this Sunday, May 1. Lee Morgan will be making street tacos and Steve Rouse will be making crepes. YUM!! All donations will go toward the team’s fundraising efforts and the projects the team will facilitate while there. It will be a great way to fellowship as a church family and a great way to support our youth!
Serving at SOS — Mark your calendars with our upcoming SOS date, June 16. Please contact Katy Thompson for information about what food you can bring and how you can serve on this date.
Youth Ministry Updates
-The dates for King’s Kamp this summer are July 31-August 6. The camp will again be held in the mountains of Idyllwild. Cost for this year’s camp is $345 per camper, provided you register by July 1. After July 1, registration goes up to $370 per camper. There is also an early bird discount: If registration is received by June 1, the cost is $320, so register soon to save! We are also offering a discounted fee for each additional sibling coming to camp of $299. (Contact Dusty if you’re interested in serving as a King’s Kamp counselor this summer.)
-The dates for Teen Camp this summer are July 17-23. Early bird deadline is April 29. Register now to save!
Bible Lectures 2016 — Pepperdine Bible Lectures is almost here (May 3-6!), and this year’s theme is “Cruciformed: Living in Light of the Jesus Story.” Learn more and register here.
AWP is still looking for a few great volunteers! — Sandy Stivers and Nancy Shatzer are requesting your assistance during Bible Lectures. There are a few times specific times when help is needed: Thursday, May 5, at 2 pm, to bag yummy cookies for sale to raise money for student scholarships. In addition, volunteers are needed at night, Tuesday through Thursday, at 7:30 pm. If you have questions about serving in this way or can volunteer for a few hours, please contact Nancy.
The Ascending Voice — Celebrating congregational singing and a cappella music in Christian worship, this exciting symposium features three main evening concerts that will be of special interest to Pepperdine faculty members: Cerulean- Voices Extraordinary on May 12 directed by Professor Ryan Board, the grand Festival Choir concert on May 13 directed by world renowned choral scholar Simon Carrington, and Grammy Award-winning sensation Take 6 on May 14. Learn more and register here. If you enter the discount code “Leader2016”, you can register for the conference and get a ticket* to “Take 6” for only $40 (*while supplies last). But anyone can drop in on the daytime programs for free, without registering. There will be lots of worship times including opportunities to sing with great worship leaders like Keith Lancaster and Ken Nafziger. Great classes, workshops, and fellowship are in store, too. See the website for program details.
House Swap Opportunity — Peggy Langford (a friend of Claudia Sangster and Pepperdine alumna) has a son who is teaching at Pepperdine during the month of May. She and her family of 6 are planning a trip to Malibu to see Andrew May 28-30 (Memorial Day weekend), and they are looking for a place close enough to maximize their time together as a family. Would you be willing to swap houses with them for that time frame? They have Monterey Bay Aquarium guest passes to throw in, along with free entry to Pt. Lobos (a beautiful place to hike) and convenient proximity to Big Sur, wineries, and other vacation jaunts. For more details and to get connected with Peggy, please contact Claudia Sangster directly.